two post lift vs four post

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of the two. Everyone I've seen here seems to be getting the four post....but if you are going to do tires, springs, suspension stuff wouldn't a two post be better? I am putting up a new garage and will be using the lift for the Viper but also to restore a classic Mustang. Thanks in advance. :confused:

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
two post gets the weight off the wheels by lifing the frame, four post lifts the car but the car's weight is still on the wheels.

this is exactly why I haven't bought a lift, because I want a two post lift, since you'll still need to jack the car to remove wheels or rotate wheels (on my other cars) with the four post...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is another alternative, a scissor lift.

Wheels free and great for normal 4" concrete floors and 2,500psi concrete as it spreads the weight over a much larger area. In addition, it's almost invisable as it's 4.5" tall when down, is drive over and has no poles to bang your doors on. Lifts to full 6'7" height and uses foam blocks to contact the frame.

It's not the cheapest solution, is not for undercar storage (like a 4 post) but is a great working lift for a narrow garage bay or for garages with normal floors. Two posts really need >4" concrete and >2,500psi concrete with no expansion joints within 12 inches of the base (as I remember).

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anyone have recommendations on a two post? or anyone interested in a group buy for a two post lift?

There was a group buy on the Complete Hydraulic lift. Price was under $1,700 and supposedly made in Texas. I couldn't find any negative feedback from VCA members who bought one.

Drew728

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check out "Bend Pac" 7,000lb scissor lift. Model SP-7X. (bendpac.com)

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the four post lift from Direct Lift with the optional jack that raises the car to suspend the wheels and suspension. In my opinion it is the hot setup. With the 2 post lifts I've looked at, there were issues with getting the lift pads under the car due to how low these Vipers are. Also, during storage, do you want your suspension hanging? Total cost for the lift w/ optional jack and shipping was $2600.00. Tough to beat it. It's also rated for 7000 lbs. Good luck with whatever one you choose.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Advantages and disadvantages for both. In general if your primary purpose is storage with some maintenance and mechanical work the 4 post is best. For heavy duty work the 2 post is best. I say get both.

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats what i have been struggling with too. i dont need it for storage as my detached garage is 40x32 and i have an attached garage also, but need one for maintenance, trying to decide between 2 and 4 post myself arghh wish i knew more about them

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was looking at the site with the group buy from ab, and they have two post lifts also, maybe we could get a discount on those if we decide to go with the two post, or maybe he could offer either a two or four post so we can choose what we want. Biggest thing i guess i need to know is will the viper work on their two post

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2 post Bend Pac asymmetric (arms to the rear are longer). It is a little tricky with the viper, but no problems. Mine is a clear floor model, the hose and cables are over head, so you need about 11' of height. As far as the floor goes, I knew where the lift was going before construction. I had 3'X 3'x 12" footings in the floor when they poored it.

Randy

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Rotary 4 post and love it but my main deal was needing storage, then doing some maint. If I didnt need the storage, I would have liked a 2 post, but my floor wouldnt handle it...
I would say first of all don't cheap out on a lift, your car and life is at stake.
I think those sissor style would be ok for brake work and stuff, but would be hard to get a trans. out.
JMHO

Cheers,

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On the 4 post lifts, you can do brake work on them. They make several accessories with the 4 post lift. I like the two post, but I think the four is more functional for a home garage type enviroment and also spreads the weight more evenly.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thats what i have been struggling with too. i dont need it for storage as my detached garage is 40x32 and i have an attached garage also, but need one for maintenance,

For maintenance only go with a 2-post, you'll have more clear area to work.

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two post from Autolifters here in kansas.. rated for 9000 lbs... $1900.00 but i picked it up at the factory.. shipping is around $300 or so..

love it.. and its paid for itself twice since I do work on others vehicles..

www.autolifters.com

You must be registered for see images attach

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd argue that most Scissor style lifts (including the Nussbaum I own) are equally adapt at trans removals as any other as they are completely clear between the widely set lift pads. One or two brands of scissors have torsion bar equalization (Mohawk I think) but it's rare. The torsion bar is an unsophisticated method of tying the pads together in case one side sags and that bar could be an obstacle.

The Nussbaum has dual crossover hydraulic equalization that limits pad sag to 4" or less at max load if one circuit were to catastrophically loose hydraulic pressure. Something I have no plan on testing.

You must be registered for see images

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the "complete hydraulics" website says all you need is 4" 3000psi concrete and I thought 4000psi concrete was standard.

any thoughts?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my area, 2,500psi 4" concrete is fairly normal for garage floors.

GTS weighs 3400lbs. This Scissor lift rated at 7,000lbs. At strucural failure, scissor hinges blow out. Minimum failure point is 3 x rating, or 21,000lbs. Hydraulic pop off safety valves prevent lifting beyond rating weight of 7,000lbs. Made in Germany with TUV (UL like) testing and approval.

At the Challenger Lift factory in Louisville I saw an un-named Chinese lift structurally fail "AT" rated capacity. Two post lift with arms that sagged and dropped load.

I'm not worried.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave