Z06 vs. 05 Viper (with 3 mods.)

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that we are all talking about gears...

Does anyone sell a speedo/odometer recalibration box?? or do we need to do it only by re-programming the computer??

A change of gears in the SRT does not require a recalibration.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well...I don't remember.lol. I remember a couple of threads about it in 04....I installed gears in all my SRT's, and no adjustments required. I am sure someone will give the specifics, but it won't be me.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well actually youre right and youre wrong with that statement. the new chevy motor actually puts out more HP over the v-10, but yes the v-10 has more TQ, but at the same time it weighs a little more.

correction

I am right and I am right. The v10 makes 510 hp under the new standard, when the vette made 505 under that same standard, and yes, we both know the viper blows the vette away in torque. And the vette blocks, if you throw boost to them, they are popping like cherries on prom night. sorry its fact. They are great motors, and some good mods really open them up, but boost is NOT their friend..

Jon

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 puts down more HP to the wheels, on avearge, than the Viper. My Z06 put down 455 rwhp, and my Viper, on the same dyno, did 437 rwhp.

On average and in general, Z06's put down roughly 450 rwhp.
Viper put down 435-440. The Z06 has a stronger motor.

And, if you want to talk strongest Viper engine dyno to date (which I am sure some of you will), then we can do the same with the Z06, which is much higher than the Vipers.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 puts down more HP to the wheels, on avearge, than the Viper. My Z06 put down 455 rwhp, and my Viper, on the same dyno, did 437 rwhp.

And, if you want to talk strongest Viper engine dyno to date (which I am sure some of you will), then we can do the same with the Z06, which is much higher than the Vipers.

Fadi, great story, but im pretty sure we were talking about the motor, not the driveline... cuz if we talked about the driveline, maybe yours takes up less loss, because its not as beefy as ours, and its why you guys have a problem with busted drivelines.. but sure, glad you have less parasitic loss. I for one will go with the new standard established by the automotive world, which tested both these engines on the same type of equipment and said the vipers made more power. Enjoy your z06, some were not cut out to be viper owners.

Jon

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anyone sell a speedo/odometer recalibration box?? or do we need to do it only by re-programming the computer??

Yes, you will need a recalibration box. Roe and JOn B have them for around $120, and they work for any gear ratio as you can just set the dip switches inside for whatever gear ratio you have.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fadi, great story, but im pretty sure we were talking about the motor, not the driveline... cuz if we talked about the driveline, maybe yours takes up less loss, because its not as beefy as ours, and its why you guys have a problem with busted drivelines.. but sure, glad you have less parasitic loss. I for one will go with the new standard established by the automotive world, which tested both these engines on the same type of equipment and said the vipers made more power. Enjoy your z06, some were not cut out to be viper owners.

Jon

Ok, you can go by the new standard engine dyno, and I will go by real world rwhp figures.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi,
looks as though you have not done your research....

I have owned both cars. That is better than any research.

Bottom line/fact is, in the real world, the Z06 puts out more rwhp on average and is the quicker/faster car. Anyone that says otherwise is just in denial.

p.s.- If there is anyone in MI that has a stock SRT-10, we can get this solved by getting both cars on a dyno (same day, same conditions), and after that, we can have a friendly run..:)

Any takers?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No unfortunately I am not stock and would blow you away both times.

Btw do the measurement on a Mustang dyno with a slow or near steady state sweep and you will get a different answer then a dynojet. The Viper has much more driveline and wheel weight which absorbs power during a fast dyno test.

And the car you had was not stock as produced. You lamented here many times about how the previous owner failed the engine and it was replaced. Testing a buyback car and stating it represents all others is a crock. I would presume that a buyback had the crap beat out of it before you got it. That must have been your assumption as well as you fought diligently to get out of it. I can also go back to your old posts and show you were pro vette through your whole ownership period. Some things can not be disguised.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes, you will need a recalibration box. Roe and JOn B have them for around $120, and they work for any gear ratio as you can just set the dip switches inside for whatever gear ratio you have.

Not on the Gen 3's...I promise you. Jon B will tell you that as well.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 does put down nice numbers on the dyno. I have seen three different stock Z's on a dyno jet and all three put down mid 460's. That being said, I agree with Jon, they don't do well under boost.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No unfortunately I am not stock and would blow you away both times.

Btw do the measurement on a Mustang dyno with a slow or near steady state sweep and you will get a different answer then a dynojet. The Viper has much more driveline and wheel weight which absorbs power during a fast dyno test.

And the car you had was not stock as produced. You lamented here many times about how the previous owner failed the engine and it was replaced. Testing a buyback car and stating it represents all others is a crock. I would presume that a buyback had the crap beat out of it before you got it. That must have been your assumption as well as you fought diligently to get out of it. I can also go back to your old posts and show you were pro vette through your whole ownership period. Some things can not be disguised.

It's funny that you seem to forget that you have a blower on your car and it is the ONLY way you can beat a Z06. Hell, I can get a cam, do some bolt ons and you would not beat me with your blown V10. Sad.

I was pro vette my whole Viper experience, you are right. I always wanted the better performing car.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well we just need someone with enough cash to take a viper motor and a z06 motor and do an engine dyno on both at the same time, otherwise everyone is just talking out their ass! but then again seeing each motor is mass produced you can have 2 z06 motors off + or - 10 HP on average and the same with the viper motor.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I was pro vette my whole Viper experience, you are right. I always wanted the better performing car."

Then why are you here?

OP
OP
P

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Nader,

I see that you have 3 of the mods.,DC performance program, 180 thermostat, and K&N (I mentioned sealed box with greens), that I orginally mentioned. My question is do you feel that this was worth it? In addition to these mods, I was thinking of getting a new shifter, but confused on whether to go hurst or one of the others. Do you recall what the labor charge was to install the hurst, assuming you didn't do it yourself? Thanks much my friend!

Fadi's a self admitted Vette fan which is not a problem. He's simply on our site to either "stir the ***", or maybe he's a bite disoriented thinking he's on the Vette site from smoking the "***". We must forgive, as he no not what he do! Now a moment of silence hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phienix -

The Three mods i feel were definitely worth it and would do them again.

While it is difficult to tell the difference in the 5-10hp increase with the K&N, it is fairly cheap and easy to install.
As for the DC computer program and 180 Thermostat, which work together, it by far is the best mod to date for me, aside from some cosmetic changes. The car has new found mid range power and snap where as before i noticed a bit of hesitation. While there is only a 5-10 net increase in topend power, Dan says the average increase in mid range is 25-30 hp and i believe him. In addition the car runs much cooler and definitely a bit better on gas.
Keep in mind you can send your current computer to DC to get flashed or buy a new one with the flash on it. I chose to purchase a new one. I have had several of my previous cars reprogrammed and this is the first time i can actually notice a difference.

The hurst was another great mod. Total cost of installation was around $200. Again definitely worth it. The shifter has a solid, gated feel to it now and engages each gear percisely. Night and day difference from stock. it is the shifter they run in the comp coupe.

Regarding the K&N -
When you install the K&N remove the baffle behind the scoop in the hood. You can get the the three screws from under the hood. This lets air pass directly through to the filters. Just remember when you wash the car, cover the scoop.

i would also recommend the corsa track as well. Not only does it eliminate the heat issue, the new sound adds to the Viper experience.

Good luck and enjoy.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi

What were the TORQUE numbers? Several months ago I did a dyno run right behind a new Z06: He had 25 hp more and I had 55 ft-lbs more. We were both bone stock.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi I want to see your cam and bolt ons that produce anywhere near my 690 RWHP. And when if you do you better get a whole new drivetrain or I will pass a broken Chevy.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Fadi said:

"It's funny that you seem to forget that you have a blower on your car and it is the ONLY way you can beat a Z06.

I was pro vette my whole Viper experience, you are right. I always wanted the better performing car."

[/QUOTE]

Hey Fadi...how you been? Now...you know it doesn't take a blower mod to take down a stock Z. The cars are a tick or 2 apart in the 1320. My FE with exhaust and K+N could outrun my Z...by the same 1 or 2 ticks. The Z is slightly quicker...stock VS stock. And of course you also know the Viper can outmod the Z, hands down. You have your favorite...obviously....but this is a Viper forum. Anyway, I am glad all is well with you...and enjoy your Z my friend!!

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi I want to see your cam and bolt ons that produce anywhere near my 690 RWHP. And when if you do you better get a whole new drivetrain or I will pass a broken Chevy.

Ahh, this is where there is a misunderstanding. I don't need anywehre near 690 rwhp to be close to your Viper. It is amazing how much less rwhp I can have and still run right with or surpass a Viper.

But I don't care about all that modding garabge. I care about one thing only, that is, a stock C6 Z06 is quikcer/faster than a stock SRT-10 EVERYTIME. Hell, a lightly modded Viper would still lose to a stock Z06 and man, does this eat you up inside, Ron.

Don't stress it man, the new Diamonback Viper is coming out. Oh wait, so isn't the Stingray..Oops, GM did it again.. :D

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ahh, this is where there is a misunderstanding. I don't need anywehre near 690 rwhp to be close to your Viper. It is amazing how much less rwhp I can have and still run right with or surpass a Viper.

But I don't care about all that modding garabge. I care about one thing only, that is, a stock C6 Z06 is quikcer/faster than a stock SRT-10 EVERYTIME. Hell, a lightly modded Viper would still lose to a stock Z06 and man, does this eat you up inside, Ron.

Don't stress it man, the new Diamonback Viper is coming out. Oh wait, so isn't the Stingray..Oops, GM did it again.. :D

Now Fadi..that modding statement is not true. You must have had a really...really....really poor SRT if you believe what you said. If you are looking to be able to make the statement "I have the fastest American Marque stock from the factory"...well, of course you know that isn't true. And if your not first...who cares about 2nd or 3rd? They are both runner ups. The really ironic thing is that Vette guys have waited 14 years to say they have a faster stock factory car than the Viper....and along comes Ford and rains on that parade. And '07? Well...no Viper to compete...so you win by default. We will see about '08 soon enough. That being said, if I am going to be a runner up anyway (in '06)...I want to look good and unique doing it. And I want to be able to mod without fear of ....well, problems. But thats just me...and the majority of Viper buyers. End of story. Hey...put your top down and go for a drive...oops, can't do that. Well, if you drive fast enough..it will come off I believe. Another 5 last week I heard. :ooo: Again, this is a Viper forum. Enjoy your Z.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny he is being called out that he is simply lying base upon true life experience and he still choses to cry corvette crap... There is another forum for that and certainly no one hear wants to hear it.

I

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK, I have the chime in.
Are Chevy guys are really going to keep bragging that their new 2006, top of the line Z06 coupe, can beat a standard 2003 (convertible) Viper.
I can live with that, but VOI is only days away with Dodges reply.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi said:

"It's funny that you seem to forget that you have a blower on your car and it is the ONLY way you can beat a Z06.

I was pro vette my whole Viper experience, you are right. I always wanted the better performing car."

[/QUOTE]

Hey Fadi...how you been? Now...you know it doesn't take a blower mod to take down a stock Z. The cars are a tick or 2 apart in the 1320. My FE with exhaust and K+N could outrun my Z...by the same 1 or 2 ticks. The Z is slightly quicker...stock VS stock. And of course you also know the Viper can outmod the Z, hands down. You have your favorite...obviously....but this is a Viper forum. Anyway, I am glad all is well with you...and enjoy your Z my friend!!

[/QUOTE]

Hello my friend. Yes, I truly believe that a well driven Z06 can beat a well driven Viper with a K&N air system and a catback exhaust. I will be more than happy to race anyone within a 50 mile radius with simple air mods to prove it. I have ridden in my Viper and a few Vipers, and I really think the Z06 is that much quicker. I mean, the Viper traps at 121 on average and Z06 traps at 125 on avearge. That is huge difference.

We can talk about uniqueness and looks all day, but that is all subjective. Fact is, the Z06 is quicker.

Oh, and you say the Z06 is #2, well, PM me your e mail and I will send you the video of me racing a stock FGT (The owner of Fordgtforum.com, that also had a previous low 11 sec C5 Z06, and goes by the name of "DBK") and then you can tell me who won 3/4 races.

I hope you are enjoying your two new Vipers, they surely are a piece of art and beautiful.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And my SRT was not a poor one by any means. 437/475 from the factory. That is average, or even a few rwhp above average.

I raced a buddies Gen II Viper that has K&N's, smooth tubes, high flow cats, and cat-back exhaust. He dynoed 438 rwhp and 477 rwtq, and I was ahead by a half of car every race. Like I said, my Viper was running very well.