How many pints of brake fluid should be used when bleeding brake fluid?

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bled my brakes before track event last weekend. I just kinda guestimated how many times to pump the brakes before the fluid ran alittle more clear. I know you are supposed to keep pumping the brakes until fluid color changes to more clear color (new fluid color) but the problem is that the old fluid color is very similar to new fluid color. So that makes it difficult. Now I am going back to the track next week and want to bleed brake fluid again. I am afraid color will not be much diff. So how do I know when I have changed all of the old fluid for the new fluid?

Also I am using Motul dot4 RBF 600.

Also how long will a bottle of Motul last once it is open? Ie what is shelf life once I open the bottle and use some?

thanks.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fluid will last a LONG time after opened as long as it's closed when done. The moisture in the air is the problem. The reason some manufactures recommend fluid flush every 3-4 yrs is because the system isn't closed (cap has a vent) and there is moisture in the air. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Just bleeding brakes you want to displace air so doesn't take much. To flush it takes almost a half gallon and it's best to use a pressure bleeder and not by foot. Just takes too long.Also if no antilocks you can just open up the bleeders(Only on disc brakes) at calipers and let it gravity bleed but it takes a while. Drum brakes have a residual pressure valve so you have to pump them.

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How many pints of brake fluid should be used when bleeding brake fluid?

There is a blue colored brake fluid that you can use to tell when all the old stuff is out. I haven't checked yet to see if it's compatible with the Viper's brake system though.

Alex

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't recall using more than a bottle of Motul when changing the brake fluid.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck and Dave, Back to the original question, since you guys would probably know best... How much fluid do you use when bleeding the system to get out the old stuff. i.e., how do you know when you are done changing the fluid. Or, is it obvious to you because you guys really do take the cars and the brakes to the limit. I also am not replacing significantly discolored fluid which might mean I'm wasting my time anyway.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I push 2 or 3 cans through. I think they are only 12 oz cans. It's what ever the trick stuff that Racecars suggested.

Carl

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good question. On the GTS I was using AP600 @ $25 per 16.9oz and although I didn't want the fluid boiling on the track, I also didn't want to pump fresh fluid out of the system. And, unless you really heated up the fluid the color change is minimum, if at all.
I ended up going by one bottle per track event, and if it’s a 2 day event I’d flush the system after the first day also.

P.s. I’m using Motul on the SRT/10

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score

When I flushed mine with Motul 600, I used 2 bottles. It was pretty hard to tell when the new fluid was coming out so I just pushed 2 bottles through the system and figured that was ok...

OP
OP
F

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck and Dave, Back to the original question, since you guys would probably know best... How much fluid do you use when bleeding the system to get out the old stuff. i.e., how do you know when you are done changing the fluid. Or, is it obvious to you because you guys really do take the cars and the brakes to the limit. I also am not replacing significantly discolored fluid which might mean I'm wasting my time anyway.

Yeah, back to the original question. How do I know when I can stop pumping fresh fluid through?

No one seems to have a concrete answer. Is it just guess work? :confused:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You should see whether the two products say about alternating between the blue and not blue stuff. Then you only have to watch for the dye change.

I know, another million dollar idea is a brake fluid dye that you can put in your favorite (amber) brake fluid.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok,

UNTIL IT'S CLEAN Looking :shocked: :D 2,3,4, whatever it takes to get the old stuff out :2tu:

I buy it by the case :shocked: when I flush the brakes, I also **** out the Clutch M/C, & put fresh fluid in there :eek:

www.davesbigbrakes.com

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
-Dot 4
-non-synthetic
-wet boiling point of 400 degrees fahrenheit and a dry boiling point of 536 degrees fahrenheit

If you don't like it I guess you could bleed with the blue and then bleed again with your favorite fluid.

Alex

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
-Dot 4
-non-synthetic
-wet boiling point of 400 degrees fahrenheit and a dry boiling point of 536 degrees fahrenheit

If you don't like it I guess you could bleed with the blue and then bleed again with your favorite fluid.

Alex

This is what I used in the BMW club :D
ATE Super Blue and Typ 200, same fluid except one's...blue. Gives you the answer to your question in living color.

As Alex said, DOT 4 non-synthetic
Dry boiling point: 535°F
Wet boiling point: 392°F

Motul RBF 600 is DOT4 synthetic
Dry boiling point: 593°F
Wet boiling point: 420°F.

Is the non-synthetic compatible with our cars and with alternating synthetic fluid, for example blue on the street, and amber Motul at the track?
Good to have a geek who knows about the realm of fuels and lubes!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pull the fluid out of the reservoir first, then fill it with fresh fluid. Then start the bleed process continuously filling the reservoir before it gets too low.

I can do the whole system with one liter of Castrol SRF.

Be thorough and go with three pints if you are tracking.

OP
OP
F

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So after one track day is the fluid in the MC resevoir considered Dirty and old and needs to be taken out?

If one could alternate between blue and amber fluid that would be perfect!
Is it possible?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't ever had a blue fluid in front of me, but it they are same DOT rating, you should be good.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So after one track day is the fluid in the MC resevoir considered Dirty and old and needs to be taken out?

If one could alternate between blue and amber fluid that would be perfect!
Is it possible?

Some folks run the same fluid for several events. I don't have that kind of luck, or I'm a chicksh*t and figure a $63 bottle of Castrol SRF is cheap for peace of mind.

If I was using the DOT 4 stuff I'd flush with four bottles of it and still not equal the price of Castrol.

Dunno about the blue/amber.

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some folks run the same fluid for several events. I don't have that kind of luck, or I'm a chicksh*t and figure a $63 bottle of Castrol SRF is cheap for peace of mind..
I'd check out just how much punishment those other folks are giving their vipers/brakes - if they're putting in the same performance as you or better, i personally would really consider whether it's worth replacing the fluid every outing when it might not be necessary - just me maybe, and a few others that are on a tighter budget. Can these higher boiling point fluids not withstand temperature fatigue more also? If it's coming out as transparent as the new stuff when it's being checked for a change, what sort of deterioration has taken place if any?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper