REGISTERING A NEW CAR IN CA

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my Viper a couple of weeks ago from Woodhouse. I called the DMV to see what the steps were to get the car registered. The DMV couldn't get out of it's own way. Can someone chime in who's bought one of these out of state and had to register it?

Thanks,
Mike

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My last two vipers were from Woodhouse. Just take all the paperwork you received down to a DMV office with the car. They will need to see the 50 state sticker and you will pay the license and sales tax and you are done. you might have to talk to a few people to finally get the right answers but you shouldn't have any trouble. Don't let them tell you it can't be registered because it doesn't have 7500 miles, its a new car and doesn't need to. Just be persistant, again all they need is your money, the paperwork and to look at the car.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a lease so the taxes are included in the payment. I never did see a 50 state legal sticker, where was it at in your package? I was told by Bill Pemberton I would only have to pay for the registration. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased my Viper in Nebraska earlier this year and had no trouble registering it in California. The only issues were paying California sales tax, and getting the car smogged. The smog issue is silly as the car was new & 50 state legal, but was only a minor inconvenience.

For what its worth, I registered it at the Santa Rosa DMV branch. Different branches have different attitudes about these things.

A few years back my father died and I had a long process registering his pick-up (10 years old) in California. I had to do all kinds of silly stuff like getting it weighed etc.

Perhaps the individual clerk is the issue.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume you paid cash for the car? Since mine is a lease I shouldnt have to worry about ca sales tax, just registration. This state is just ggreeaattt!

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a lease so the taxes are included in the payment. I never did see a 50 state legal sticker, where was it at in your package? I was told by Bill Pemberton I would only have to pay for the registration. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Mine were leased also so you only need to pay license. The sticker is in the engine bay that is why they need the car there. Yes you need to smog it before taking it down. When I had it done, the tech said the air coming out of the engine was cleaner than the air we breath.

Brad

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you got this sticker you got no problem............except the $500 to register it. ;)

Smog right across the street from Costa Mesa DMV. Stay away from Laguna Hills.... :eek:

416epastickerviper_003.jpg

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all out of state new cars need to be smogged, you need your statement showing taxes paid in another jurusdiction, and then you will have to pay the diff between that and teh california sales tax for your area ( between 6-8% ) depending on where you live in cali and then you state license and registration fees, if it is used you need a stiker that says 50 state incl. cali if it does not have this it needs to be over 7500 miles or you can simply order a sticker from dodge as there was no difference in the cars between cali and the other 49

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They included the tax in the monthly payment using the taxes in my area. I hope they don't try to say I owe anything for taxes.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a lease car from out of state, Good Luck!

You shouldn't have to pay tax except if the tax rate is lower than the california tax rate, if it is you may have to pay teh difference in cash up front

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave