Smoke'in

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smoke\'in

Had my first experience with the infamous sucking oil from valve cover into intake routine. Did a hard WOT run up to 140ish and then hit the binders real hard just to see how fast this thing would really stop from that speed. Not too bad but as I was braking, I noticed the engine sort of "missed and sputtered" a couple of times so I rev'd the engine a bit to clear it out and noticed a HUGE cloud of white smoke out the back. No real issue since at that point I knew exactly what the issue was (thanks to previous posts). Just weird when you actually experience some of the issues people post about. Thankfully I wasn't running against the "competition" and venting a cloud of smoke to an audience. That woud have been embarrasing.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Smoke\'in

Yea, first time it happened to me I thought I lost a cylinder...so then I started venting to a puke can

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It makes your heart go into your stomach. It's cool that you where aware of this. For me it was my first time pounding on my car. I really thought I blew my engine.

How is your Oil level? I took the posting advice and I'm running my engine oil level 1/2 Qt low and I have not seen any smoke since.

Bolt

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually I had just had my oil changed last week at an express lube joint. When I checked the receipt, they only put 9 quarts in so I topped it off shortly thereafter..so I'm at Max Fill right now.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

did anyone find a perfect catch can / return system? i want a can and a drain return tapped to the oil pan.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the catch can that I installed this summer and totaly love it.
4995Picture_005-med.jpg

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hmm...except for the lack of powdercoat that looks strangely familiar. PBJ perhaps?

Here's mine:

You must be registered for see images attach

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

is there an oil line tapped into the pan to return the oil? or do you drain it with a valve or something? does it still supply the line with positive vacuum pressure? Is the little line on the side there because the can is separated into 2 containers? looks nice & if it works 100% ill order one.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you want to do the oil return line you'll have to add that mod, although I'm sure PBJ can add the fitting on the catch can side. They can modify it in whatever configuration or color you want. I chose the krinkle red to more closely match the stock engine colors.

Mine has a drain valve on it. You can sort of see part of the little brass handle in the pic. The line on the side is a site glass so you can keep track of how full it is getting. PBJ recommends draining it at each oil change.

Here's their contact info if you're interested: Performance by Joe