710hp; 700 lbft torque, Naturally aspirated

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many folks know, I've been getting my engine rebuilt following a nasty, rod and piston shattering event at the track last year.

After many delays trying to find a competent machine shop here in Colorado, I finally decided to ship the engine to Kevin Singleton at Exotic Engine Development He got the machine work done, and built the engine for me in a very prompt manner.

The engine has a number of goodies on it, most notably the new Striker heads from J.M. Cylinder Heads a proprietary camshaft, lightweight custom billet crankshaft, forged rods, pistons, etc. etc. The cylinders have been bored out slightly to 4.125" (up from 4.03" stock) and fitted with Darton sleeves. I stayed with the stock 3.96" stroke rather than go with a stroker motor because I didn't want to increase the rod angle. Total displacement is 529 cubic inches.

After assembly, Kevin put my engine on the engine dyno for some break in. During the break in run,the engine made 710 horsepower and 700 pound feet of torque. This was with a generic crate engine ECU that is not tuned for this engine. (Kevin didn't tune it, because I'm using a VEC2 for tuning, and the engine dyno he was using isn't currently wired to incorporate a VEC2.)

So, I'm looking forward to getting the engine back (hopefully some time next week) putting it back in my car, and seeing what sort of rwhp and rwtq the car will make after some tuning with the VEC2.

I'm not entirely sure what Kevin did to make this much power, but if you want to ask him, I've heard that Exotic Engine Development and J.M. Cylinder Heads are going to have booths at the upcoming VOI9.

I will post an update when I get the engine back in the car, get it tuned, and obtain some dynojet numbers. It's been almost a year since I've driven my Viper, but it's finally getting close to finished. I can't wait! (I'm going to have to learn how to drive it all over again.)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are crank numbers, he said it was an engine dyno and the engine is not in the car yet, at least thats what i think he said lol. BEAUTIFUL numbers for a N/A car though!!! What do you think it will put to the wheels once you get the VEC2 in?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under "average data" it shows an average A/F of 12.34 but all of the individual entries are under 12. What am I missing here? Is this a bad average or are the individual entries wrong? If the individual entries are correct, it seems like a safe, conservative tune ( I know you mentioned that it is the stock tune ) that you might consider keeping for awhile until you have a few miles on the beast and make sure that there are no kinks to be worked out. Also, did you give any thought to the AEM controller? If you did, why did you choose the VEC supplemental over the AEM? Just curious.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are crank numbers. The engine isn't in the car.
I'm hoping for mid 600s at the wheels on a dynojet after some VEC2 tuning. We'll see.

I used the VEC2 over the AEM for several reasons:
AEM won't pass emissions here in Colorado. AEM is a lot more expensive. For a naturally aspirated application, there isn't much that AEM offers over the VEC2 that I need.

The average air/fuel an 11.34. I converted the data sheet from a pdf file, and it came out unclear.

To solve the oiling issues, I've installed a 3 quart accusump system (from Dan Lesser "Final GTS") the crankshaft also has improved oiling features, and I put in coated bearings.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Kai, those are really impressive numbers. Looks like those JM heads love the big bore. I guess the car won't be at VOI? I would love to hear that beast.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the highest horsepower someone has gotten out of a N/A Application?

Henny built a 577 ci stroker SRT Coupe that has a claimed 800 crank horsepower. I think it was entered in this year's One Lap of America. It ended up with some sort of mechanical trouble and wasn't able to finish.

I'm sure there are some high-revving n/a engines out there that have well over 700hp.

I'm hoping that my engine will be overbuilt and conservative enough to be both fast and durable.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have used Kevin for several of our engine builds and have found his work to be of the highest quality. One big plus is that he can dyno test and qualify the motors before we install them.

Dan Cragin
DC Perfprmance Inc.
310-841-6996

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Kai,

This is about the hp / tq that I had projected for your build (this is about what mine made N/A without a tune). You will make more hp with a tune as the Air / Fuel ratio is way too rich for N/A.

Kevin built mine about the same way with a different cam for my Paxton set up. I had him build it to "live" at 1500 hp and are now making only about 1000+ at the crank.

Be sure to have your fuel system sorted out as you will need to mod it to support the additional demands of the new engine. If you can stick with a bigger fuel pump in the tank, that would be the way to go. If you have to go with a return style fuel system, let me know and I'll pass along what I have learned while sorting mine out.

Dan

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to have your fuel system sorted out as you will need to mod it to support the additional demands of the new engine. If you can stick with a bigger fuel pump in the tank, that would be the way to go. If you have to go with a return style fuel system, let me know and I'll pass along what I have learned while sorting mine out.

Dan

We're using dual Walbros in the tank. I'm not putting out anywhere near the hp that you are. Hopefully, this will be sufficient.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just be careful with the VEC. With a completely different fuel system, you will experience a stumble when you stomp on the pedal. This phenomenon is exclusive to the SRT. Sean was working on a solution but I don’t know if he was able to solve it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Kai,

I'm guessing two of the 250LPH high flow Walbros? That should likely do it. You will likely need an external regulator to manage their output.

I currently have one Walbro (high volume, low pressure) in the module and feeding it. I have mounted two Bosch 044's (400 LPH each) externally which draw from the module and run up to an Aeromotive Regulator with return.

FYI, I've found the followig:

In tank is better for fuel pumps. They run cooler.

No return if possible. Don't want to return hot fuel to the tank if you don't have to. I have had to put a fuel cooler on my car for hot weather.

Stage them if you can. I use vacuum reference to turn on my second pump.

No issues whatsoever with the AEM in terms of engine management. No stumbling, nothing but excellent performance from it so far (6,000 miles). Not too familiar with the VEC.

Good luck,

Dan