Thread: Question on lashing a differential/pinion gear...is it the same?

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default Question on lashing a differential/pinion gear...is it the same?

I am curious to find out if the pinion gear in all cars whether it's a Viper, Corvette or lambo....is lashing the gears pretty much the same? What are the steps in doing something like this? I just want to get a better understanding of what is involved. I will most likely send it out to get it done...but just want to know if it's an easy job to do.

Viper Owner

Default Re: Question on lashing a differential/pinion gear...is it the same?

Ich habe keine idee.

It's ok, I didn't understand you either.

Enthusiast

I am curious to find out if the pinion gear in all cars whether it's a Viper, Corvette or lambo....is lashing the gears pretty much the same? What are the steps in doing something like this? I just want to get a better understanding of what is involved. I will most likely send it out to get it done...but just want to know if it's an easy job to do.
    Yep, the process is the same, but trust me, you NEED to send it out. Even the best "wrenchers" find this job outside of their abilities. I would rather rebuild an engine and use plastiguage then set up the right shimming and using the blue die to determin the correct contact patch on a ring and pinion set up.

Jon

Enthusiast

That's what I thought. I think it was going to take 5 hours which is about $500-$600 bucks to do. I will have to ship my stuff out unless there is someone here that knows how to do it for less?

Enthusiast

Just remember a viper diff can be taken to any good mustang, vette or camaro shop and they can do it. So its not something that needs to be shipped off to an expert, its just something that a DIY wrencher is probably best leaving to a guy who does it every day. If you mess up, the gears will eat themselves alive in a short period. It would create a significant concern for a customer if it wasnt right. They would think the rest of your work was faulty too.

Jon

Viper Owner

I done a few but like said here they are a PITA. I would never do one that has to go 100 MPH or faster. It had better be right. This is in my rock crawler which does not have to be perfect. But this gives you a view of how the pattern should look. It's not perfect but it's close.

Bolt

Enthusiast

I done a few but like said here they are a PITA. I would never do one that has to go 100 MPH or faster. It had better be right. This is in my rock crawler which does not have to be perfect. But this gives you a view of how the pattern should look. It's not perfect but it's close.

Bolt
    Very good job, if you did that yourself. But you are correct, that is not perfect. I know what perfect looks like from reference material, and its never anything I want to try. Low speed, along with low hp allows SOME flexibility, high speed and high hp, doesnt

Much better job then i could/would ever do.

Jon

Enthusiast

Great write up! The pinion gear lashing is for my diablo...but the pionion gear assemble is like $3000 buckaroos and it's expensive to make that kind of mistake if not done right..Bolt! Thanks! I will have to ask some mustang or corvette guys here locally.

Viper Owner

2002, you can't get the pattern better than that!!!! check out Randy's Ring and Pinion for setups.
    BOLT, I'd have you do my setup any day!! Only thing is I do it for a living, Too. PS, BOLT, you look'n for a tech job I'm 1 guy short.

Enthusiast

Raysir...if I sent my diff to you could you do it?

Viper Owner

2002, you can't get the pattern better than that!!!! check out Randy's Ring and Pinion for setups.
    BOLT, I'd have you do my setup any day!! Only thing is I do it for a living, Too. PS, BOLT, you look'n for a tech job I'm 1 guy short.
    Thank you for the complement. I showed this to Randy's Ring and Pinion and they told me it was .002 inch off. I new it was not perfect. I figured it was close enough. It took me 2 hours to get it this close. And I was being pretty fussy. Here it is 2 years later and the pattern ran in great. I'm running Royal purple in this.

Tech jobs are easy to come by for me but I do this for a hobby. I'll stick to my Manufacture Engineering job. I grew up in a garage so I've been doing this stuff for almost 28 years now.

Bolt

Enthusiast

sorry, my porsche tech manuals show a slightly different pattern, but what do those german engineers know. And I repeat, not an easy job, one I would not do, and I still say the guy did a good job, but it doesnt match my porsche tech manual. In any case, if I was to try myself it would be a cheap ring and pinion and a car that was easy to get it out of, because trial and error might be the only way to get really good at this. I'd just let an expert do it.

Jon