New Owner Questions

OHViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just purchased a new 05 Copperhead SRT and I have a few questions. I came out of an 02 Z06 and the way the wheel wells were designed in the Z06 I never had a problem with road rash. However, with the Viper after only 500 miles, I am experiencing road rash already. Just wondering what some of you have done to stop the paint damage. Secondly, does the heat from the sidepipes eventually discolor or damage the sill area. And, if so, what can be done there. Lastly, I have picked up a metal screw in the right rear tire. Can this be plugged, and if not, it appears from reading the Michelin warranty that they replace the tire under warranty. Is this correct. I appreciate any comments you may have. Thanks in advance. MB

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Lots of road rash behind my front tires - underneath so can't see it unless I get down and look under the car. SOLUTION - I don't look under the car!
2. No problems here regarding heat (nor have I heard of any)
3. I had a screw in my tire and Michelin replaced it free of charge.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just purchased a new 05 Copperhead SRT and I have a few questions. I came out of an 02 Z06 and the way the wheel wells were designed in the Z06 I never had a problem with road rash. However, with the Viper after only 500 miles, I am experiencing road rash already. Just wondering what some of you have done to stop the paint damage. Secondly, does the heat from the sidepipes eventually discolor or damage the sill area. And, if so, what can be done there. Lastly, I have picked up a metal screw in the right rear tire. Can this be plugged, and if not, it appears from reading the Michelin warranty that they replace the tire under warranty. Is this correct. I appreciate any comments you may have. Thanks in advance. MB

The heat from the side sills can eventually "yellow" the side sills but this is usually evident mostly on light colored cars like White. With your orange color, you should have no problem but if it starts to happen, they can be repainted under the Bumper to Bumper warranty.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to get the dealer to repaint my side sills and was told that chips from the tires sandblasting the side sills was not covered under warranty. The also said that no chips are covered.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen the same road rash behind front tires on my SRT's when viewed from below and used the same solution as above (I don't look under the car). I have not noticed it on my GTS, lucky I think? If it is a worry, I beleive that you can purchase clear plastic overlays to protect these areas.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I repainted my side sills, I created a crinkle finish/rock guard on the underneath/non-visible portion where the sand blasting is the worst. I did this by not reducing the clear coat, adjusted the flow volume, and allowed a significant orange peel effect on this area.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. 3M the sills asap. Mine are shot with only 5,000 miles
2. No heat issue on SRT/10's
3. Just plug it and don't drive over 150mph for extended amounts of time. IMO

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: "When I repainted my side sills, I created a crinkle finish/rock guard on the underneath/non-visible portion where the sand blasting is the worst. I did this by not reducing the clear coat, adjusted the flow volume, and allowed a significant orange peel effect on this area."
--------------------------------------------------------

There is a painted product out there on the market called stone guard or chip guard that can be colored matched. The car factorys use it on a lot of cars and DC should have. When I remove my side sills next time I am going to have them painted with this product.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. 3M the sills asap. Mine are shot with only 5,000 miles
2. No heat issue on SRT/10's
3. Just plug it and don't drive over 150mph for extended amounts of time. IMO

What he said.

I picked up a screw in my rear tire that Discount Tire patched for me and told me that it basically lowers the rating on the tire by one.

3M behind all the wheels, sills, etc to protect from road rash.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth