Fun at the racetrack - caught on camera:-)

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had fun on the racetrack during one of the last warm days over here in CZ (FIA racetrack at 'Most'). AND THEY CAUGHT ME ON CAMERA:) (at least I was NOT the only one:)

You must be registered for see images attach

...this guy was on fire (in real:-()

...and more pics with sequences here http://ffoto.ic.cz/most28.html

I did two spins, both at the same place where I had to shift from 5th to 2nd... must practice heal and toe for revs matching more... Or I am opened to all suggestions how to handle sharp S turn after the finish straight. I slammed the brakes (GOD BLESS VIPER's BRAKES) but without the rev matching I couldn't shift from 5th to 2nd. The car had SSR/Cups.

Here is the racetrack info (link goes to their site with more info in eng)

You must be registered for see images

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heel-toe down each gear in the brake zone (4-3-2), to keep rhythm, I don't skip gears. I avoid trail braking the Viper, it rotates too abruptly/quickly for me to control. But you got those adjustable Motons . . . you should be able to tune that behavior out (+Fd,-Rd). Because your running R-comps, you do have the CC oil pickup, right?

Pretty relaxed environment out there, no helmets? Some cars have windows up/up-halfway? If your using 5th gear on a track, you guys are FLYIN (even with the 3.55). Be careful!

Nice shots. Nice cars. Looks like a great time!

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like George and Yortuk Festrunk had a wild and crazy time at the track.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That what the Vipers were meant for:)

There is so much right in this... I just came back from today's session - I had 3 half hour sessions and I just went for it all 30 minutes each. All other cars - porsches, ferraris, M3s, vettes - all of them had some issues - needed cool the brakes, engines, trannys, you name it... My viper was like laughing out loud at all of this and was making one lap after another. Like a clockwork. Poor guy in C6Z06 couldn't turn off the ESP because his race wheels with slicks didn't have sensors. Gues what - he went off the track at 100mph... A guy with 996 got his engine stalled, couldn't start it...

God bless viper engineers! This is truly a car for enthusiasists.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That what the Vipers were meant for:)

There is so much right in this... I just came back from today's session - I had 3 half hour sessions and I just went for it all 30 minutes each. All other cars - porsches, ferraris, M3s, vettes - all of them had some issues - needed cool the brakes, engines, trannys, you name it... My viper was like laughing out loud at all of this and was making one lap after another. Like a clockwork. Poor guy in C6Z06 couldn't turn off the ESP because his race wheels with slicks didn't have sensors. Gues what - he went off the track at 100mph... A guy with 996 got his engine stalled, couldn't start it...

God bless viper engineers! This is truly a car for enthusiasists.

Amen Brother!! Great post.

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do a 5->2 shift going into the chicane at Portland International Raceway.

The 2 things that really made it work for me:
1. Turn 1 is really a throw away becase turn 2 comes up so fast. That means that I totally sacrifice turn 1 in favor of longer on the straight and setting up for turn 2. I may in fact be overbraking by abotu 5mph but the cost is almost nothing and it calms me down/inspires confidence. I expect this might work for you as well.
2. Once I was comfortable flooring the throttle with my heel, it got way better. Rather than a small blip like you'd do from 5->4, you need a HUGE smash to make the 5->2 work. Don't worry - the rev limiter will protect you if you go too far.

Hope this helps.

Jay

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zorro: clockwise

Jay: it works for me too. I just go for it at straight, then slam on the brakes, make my way to Turn 2 and WOT out. My problem still is that I don't manage well heal on the breaks toe on throttle ops. Need to practice more. My fellow viper collegue (yes, another snake overseas:) do this well and he outbrakes me there. I do better in curves but he is a king of this section - for now:). I will have another 2 days of raceway blast over here. :nana:

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Madman -

The way you described (toe on the throttle, heel on the brake) seemed like a very unnatural feat for me. I tried it once early on and abandonned it.

I have been MUCH more successful with the balls of my feet on the brakes and slamming my heel on the gas. Since the footwell is already left of center, you'll find that a lot easier - unless - of coarse - you are on the other side of the pond. In that case - good luck :)

j

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
madman,

I'd go through the gears sequentially, and not skip gears. I heel toe and shift down through them one at a time, in the braking zone. Well, at least thats what worked best for me, since during my first track days I got goofed up trying to skip around. After that, I always went sequentially, and had no more problems.

Like G-force above, I'm also a fan of using the ball of the my foot on the brake, and the heel on the gas. I find it gives me better control of the revs.

Practice your heel-toe as you drive around town. It makes a little noise, and the neighbors will think you are strange, but after a while, you will get really smooth at it, and not have to think about it, it'll just come easy and natural.

All those spins makes me think the track was cold, yes?
And yes, I agree, the Viper is a durable track car, not too complicated, not high strung.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave