And the wait begins... But nothing like the Z06 wait

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had been looking at, and was intent on purchasing, a Z06 corvette since the 2006 model was released. I waited for the 2006 model year to finish and got on the list for a 2007 at MSRP. Ten months on the list and I was down to #3 and canceled my spot.

The reasons for this are many, but the primary reasons are the numerous issues that are being reported over and over on the forums. Roofs popping off, brakes cracking, clutch pedal sticking, rear end chatter, CV joint failures, spun bearings, and the list goes on... Quality control does not appear to be what it should be for a $78,000 purchase.

That being said I took a look at a SRT Coupe back in July and fell in love with the lines of the car. The look is definitely classic. It reminds me of the curves on a old hot rod mixed with a curves of a modern sports car. I decided to start reading the Viper forums and to get myself more familiar with the Viper and its potential. I was impressed by the information I learned.

Today I finally did it. Thanks to the information many of you provided regarding the car, its potential, and the sheer feeling it evokes. I put down the deposit on a new SRT10-Coupe.

Here are the details.
Viper Slate Crystal Pearl Coat W/5-Star Wheels
Lightweight flywheel
Moton's
Corsa Track Exhaust
Comp Coupe oil pan
Shifter

Looks like a week in the service bay to get everything installed and then a trailer ride down to Dallas.

I'll post picks as soon as she is here. Hmm, can you call a Viper a she?

Thanks Bill P. for the help with everything and I look forward to dealing with you again if the need arises.

Kevin E.

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, can you call a Viper a she?

No, that's only for vettes.

Congrats on your car.....you will love HIM :)

Exactly, because the Viper has BALLS! :laugh:

Congrats on the new purchase. The Slate is an awesome color. Yes, I'm biased.

If you plan on keeping a mild bolt-on modded car, you might consider adding 3.55 gears to your list.

Reaction score
You will love your decision. Had a Z06 06 for two months besides the many probs with the car (rear end leaks, tranny popped out of 4th, tranny leaked, CV joint bag leaked, radio and heads up display intermittent,and water pump leak) I just hated the car on the street. I love my 06 SRT coupe better street car for me. Wish you the best.. Rich in NJ :bonker:

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Outstanding!! Enjoy Him......and I second the 3.55 gears to get the most out of the car for street use.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too was a Z06 waiter and ultimately passed up my chance to order. The problems with the car are well documented. In fact, just yesterday I was on the covetteforum and it seemed like every other post was about problems with the car. That's too much for me. Plus, when I had my C5, the service visits were the worst part of that ownership experience. GM needs to learn how to treat purchasers of their flagship vehicles a little better. If the new Z06 was potentially going to take me back to that experience, then thanks but no thanks.

Glad to hear you didn't get blue. Enough of those around here already. The slate is a beautiful color (they all are) and you will be thrilled with the car. The Motons are an awesome upgrade and I also suggest you look into gearing the car a bit lower. I have still yet to use 6th gear - no joke. And the car regularly gets bursts to 140-150mph.

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm, can you call a Viper a she?

No, that's only for vettes.

Congrats on your car.....you will love HIM :)
Sure I call mine a she and named her Nadine. Most of ya are too young to know who Nadine is and why I'd name her that. Too pretty to be a he. I liken her to a woman with *** on steroids.
CB

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase. I too had an 2006 Z06 for seven months and finally gave up when the roof flew off in July. I just could not take anymore of GM's quality care service...ha!

Sold it a month ago after waiting nearly six weeks for a replacement roof.

Like you, I did my research and just this week picked up a 06 blue / silver coupe. This car is a blast. Much different experience than the Z06. In a Vette, you are there for the ride, in a Viper, you are a part of the experience.

I live in Coppell, north of Dallas. Would love to see your car and the mods when you get it. I am still trying to decide what to do with mine...

OP
OP
K

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RMBSRT, As soon as the car is here we should meet up. I also got an invite to attend the VCA meeting on October 14. If I reecall its going to be in Grapevine, or perhaps it was just the Grapevine crew. Either way I am planning to attend if I am not traveling. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and Ill give you a call or an email.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KEast, welcome to the club. Let us know how your mods went. Which shifter did you go with?

Well, I'm sure glad I didn't give a Vette another try.

Scott in FL, with your regular blasts to 140-150 you don't have any tickets?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about a new Z06 also, but as soon as I saw the body style at the Jan06 Detroit show, I said nope-and bought my '01 GTS. Now that I hear all the problems, I am definitely glad I didn't buy one!

I would absolutely love to have a new coupe, hope to at some point. I would love to see that color combo, I think that would be my first choice.

CONGRATS

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
RMBSRT, As soon as the car is here we should meet up. I also got an invite to attend the VCA meeting on October 14. If I reecall its going to be in Grapevine, or perhaps it was just the Grapevine crew. Either way I am planning to attend if I am not traveling. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and Ill give you a call or an email.

http://www.northtexasviperclub.com/ :D

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
viperbilliam, I am quite the ticket collector. My latest knowledge building on the 'Net has been learning all about the best radar detectors and laser jammers. I think I've finally decided on the electronic weaponry I'll be using, now just need to find the time to collect it all and get it into the car.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Valentine One and Blinder M-20 seem to be the way to go. I've read through all of the radar/laser sites by now, independent and captive, and the V1 appears to be best for radar. Blinder is one of only two laser jammers that appear to really work. I thought the laser jammer stuff was hokey, but it seems to be a legitimate system now - always on, always actively jamming. A couple of guys actually tested the Blinder with FHP and other southern FL muni and county police units and it cannot be picked up.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Scott, if you have been a victim of the troopers on I-95, I share your pain... Been there lately. There's been a huge increase in speed traps, and you can't avoid them all!!

I am 3 points away from suspension...

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Radar jammers are illegal, laser jammers are legal. The FCC regulates the bandwidth that radar operates within. It is highly illegal to emit any signal that will interfere with someone else's licensed use of FCC bandwidth. That goes even for radio signals, TV, walkie talkies, etc. - if you created something to interfere with a TV signal it would be similarly unlawful.

Laser does not operate on the radio spectrum and is not regulated by the FCC. It is essentially a light beam like a flashlight. To my knowledge (do your own research), there are no rules restricting our ability to interfere with other light signals.

Now, that said, there may be local laws that operate as catch-all provisions. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if some podunck legislature somewhere has passed laws "prohibiting the operation of any device designed to interfere with law enforcement activity." However, laws like that are typically deemed unconstitutional if ever tested due to their vague and ambiguous nature. Imagine the free reign cops would have if they could use laws like that to arrest folks for anything whatsoever and then try to argue that your activity was somehow interfering with their ability to enforce laws. The inabilit to pass laws like those is why radar detectors are legal in all but just a couple of states.

Okay, now the required legal disclaimer:

Nothing in the foregoing is intended to be legal advice. If you have a question about local laws or regulations, always consult your own attorney. Always due your own due diligence.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Valentine one works very well and have saved me some dough and grief.

Interesting to see info on Veil and Blinder.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first time I saw a Z-06 was at a car show recently. It had more orange peel than any car I've ever owned or have ever seen (except a few cars with $99 Earl Shibe paint). This alone would turn me off from ever considering a car with such a low quality paint job. Just my $.02... (which is more than the paint is worth).

OP
OP
K

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a boy..... The car arrived this morning and wow. I had only seen the Slate Grey in the dealership under artificial lights. Its much better outdoors. Lots of flake in it, and the flake is actually multi color. Very sweet.

I will try to get some pics taken if I can today, its about to start a 3 day rain. Tonight Ill be driving my truck to the VCA meet if its still happening in Dallas.

I did get to put about 40 miles on the car before it started looking to grey outside. The sound of the Corsa track exhaust and ride of the Motons. Way better then the stock Viper I took for a test drive. WOW.

Also, the looks this car gets. I heard you all talking about it, but my god. I was at one stop light and these guys were hanging out of their truck saying how awesome the car looked. Definately something I had never experienced before.

Anyone here know a good site to host the pics once I get them taken, or have space to host them?

Thanks,
Kevin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R