Kennys Viper progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SUN RA KAT

$28,000 on a Roe Blower set up?
Twin Turbo would have been the way to go.

I already had the Roe supercharger, VEC2, Belanger headers, Random Tech metal substrate cats, Roe water/methanol system, Corsa 3" cat back, and some more stuff done even before Larry Macedo got my Viper.

I really like the characteristics of the Roe supercharger and Larry Macedo promised me that my car would have "at least the high 700's in power" so I never considered going to twin turbos.

Larry Macedo added the following to my Viper starting November 16,2005:

Baseline dyno test

JM Striker cylinder street heads

Port match intake manifold

M2 installation package

ARP cylender head studs

Cometic cylinder head gaskets

M2 S/C camshaft

Cloyes adjustable timing chain and gear set

Forged pistons, tapered pins and rings

ARP 2000 connecting rod bolts

Coated connecting rod bearings

Billet P/S bracket and billet P/S pulley

David Weaver billet lower pulley

3.5" idler pulley

Machine shop: press fit rod bolts, resize rods, pin fit, line hone, bore and hone, balance rotating assembly

Remove engine, disassemble, inspect, deburr, file fit rings, clean block and components, assemble and install

M2 fuel system upgrade (injectors, pump, filter, regulator, one-way valve, hose, fittings and Professional installation

OE clutch kit

Resurface clutch flywheel

Flywheel attaching bolts

U-Joint straps and U-Joint bolts

Dyno test and tune VEC2 w/wideband o2 (1 safe card w/o water methanol)

Powdercoat intake tubes and inlet box

M2 vacuum pump kit and Professional installation

Shipping and handling of take-off parts to client

Update VEC2 to latest firmware

4-Wheel alignment (Porsche of Orlando)

Tighten P/S cap and add tube for autocrossing

Unitrax half shaft safety loops, Unitrax titanium half shafts, U-Joint strap, bolts, U-Joint straps, and Professional installation

2.5 Gallon water/methanol bottle, T fitting, 8 Feet of tubing, Water/Methanol bottle mounts, Velcro strap, and Professional installation of bottle mounts and secondary water/methanol bottle

2 Cases of Boost Juice and Shipping and handling of Boost Juice

Halon fire extinguisher and Shipping and handling

MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires

Spark plug thermal sheilds

5-Point roll bar w/removable side bar custum made and Team Tech 6-point safety harness and Professional installation

MOPAR synthetic transmission fluid

Copper 3" flange gaskets, 3" Easy Seal clamps, 3" Pipe

1996 Viper PCM

93 Octane gasoline

I chose Larry Macedo to do the work on my Viper because of his excellent reputation and his promises on the daily driver drivability, the power level he would achieve, and I would have my Viper completed by early April 2006. Larry Macedo is more expensive than many other choices, but I felt he would make all his promises come true so I went with him.

Problems with getting the Jesel roller rockers for the Jeff Morys heads delayed the completion until a projected May date. Around the May date Larry Macedo got the tube bending machine and I had him build me a custom roll bar since my local drag track is strict with the NHRA rules and I still was expecting the promised "at least the high 700's in power".

Larry Macedo towed my Viper to me from Florida and delivered it to me July 1st, 2006. Unfortunately, it had major problems and had to be trailored back to Larry Macedo to make whatever corrections he needs to do in order to fullfill his promises to me. The power levels now are promised to be the mid-700's, which is the only change in the original daily driver drivability and power promise. Larry Macedo has been working on making my Viper worth the $28,000 he was paid in full June 26, 2006 since my Viper arrived at Macedo Motorsports on September 8,2006.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry Macedo added the following to my Viper starting November 16,2005:Baseline dyno test, JM Striker cylinder street heads,
Port match intake manifold,M2 installation package,ARP cylender head studs,
Cometic cylinder head gaskets,M2 S/C camshaft,Cloyes adjustable timing chain and gear set,Forged pistons, tapered pins and rings,ARP 2000 connecting rod bolts,Coated connecting rod bearings,Billet P/S bracket and billet P/S pulley,
David Weaver billet lower pulley,3.5" idler pulley

Machine shop: press fit rod bolts, resize rods, pin fit, line hone, bore and hone, balance rotating assembly, Remove engine, disassemble, inspect, deburr, file fit rings, clean block and components, assemble and install,M2 fuel system upgrade (injectors, pump, filter, regulator, one-way valve, hose, fittings and Professional installation,OE clutch kit,Resurface clutch flywheel
Flywheel attaching bolts,U-Joint straps and U-Joint bolts,Dyno test and tune VEC2 w/wideband o2 (1 safe card w/o water methanol),Powdercoat intake tubes and inlet box,M2 vacuum pump kit and Professional installation.Shipping and handling of take-off parts to client,Update VEC2 to latest firmware,4-Wheel alignment (Porsche of Orlando)

Tighten P/S cap and add tube for autocrossing

You need a roll bar if you're running quicker than 11.49 according to the rule change.

..What was the charge to tighten the power steering cap?? :bonker:

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny,

You forgot the Kitchen Sink!

Congrats on The Build Progress.

Jay K.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny,

Good luck getting your car where you want it! That's alot of goodies in that Bad Boy. :2tu:

Now start putting together the next Piggy Bank for Twin Turbos! You'll be blown away! :D

S

SUN RA KAT

Tighten P/S cap and add tube for autocrossing [/i]

You need a roll bar if you're running quicker than 11.49 according to the rule change.

..What was the charge to tighten the power steering cap?? :bonker:

I certainly would think that even at the mid 700's in power I would be able to easily go faster than 11.49.

Sir Larry tightened my P/S cap and added tube for autocrossing free of charge. :headbang:

S

SUN RA KAT

Update from Larry Macedo on my fuse blowing problem - he thinks he's found the cause and it was a shorting out driver's side O2 sensor. :2tu:

S

SUN RA KAT

Update from Larry Macedo on my transmission reverse lockout problem - I sent the original PCM back to Larry so he can check to see if it is the new 1996 PCM I bought from Larry that is not activating the reverse lockout solenoid to prevent the ability of the transmission to try to shift in reverse instead of 5th gear while moving - right now one must be most carefull when trying to shift into 5th gear while moving. Hopefully he will have an answer to that question today.

Larry Macedo has my Viper since September 8, 2006 and is correcting all problems with it at this very moment. Thanks.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reverse lock-out issue is a known problem. you could manually install a bypass switch (I did this) to enable/disable the reverse lock-out. I'd say "most careful" is an understatement. If that lock-out isn't enabled, you are going to toast your gears no matter what.

good luck!

JD

S

SUN RA KAT

Larry Macedo will test my original PCM on Monday, October 30th. Larry says the 96 PCM's seem to be different from PCM to PCM, which is why he wanted to test my stock PCM and it's very strange why there is so much variation.

Larry says "I will have your car running tip top very soon. Thank you, Kenny!"

Larry Macedo has my Viper back since September 8, 2006 and is correcting all problems with it at this very moment. Thanks.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Kennys Viper progress? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Lee00blacksilverGTS

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why have you posted this same picture on at least 4 other threads? May have been funny once, but its getting old!

4? Try 40+. Its all over this board and the Gen 3 board. Jay knows about it. Hopefully his posts and this pic will be gone by lunch time. And 56GayPaul will be banned again and hopefully this time for GOOD!

S

SUN RA KAT

Good news to share! :2tu:

Hey Kenny,

Yes, I hope to have the car to you sometime in the month of November, Sir. I'll drive the car more tomorrow and it seems to be working properly now. Thank you, Kenny!

Best regards,

Larry Macedo

S

SUN RA KAT

Larry Macedo reports "The reverse blocking solenoid is working properly."

I think the tuning phase will begin now.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny:

how did you know the solenoid was not working and did it set a soft code?

S

SUN RA KAT

Jack -

I discovered that trying to shift from 4th to 5th gear it would try to go in a gear that didn't hook up - fortunately I didn't try to force it. I soon discovered there was 2 gears it wanted to go in on the 4th to 5th shift and one was 5th and the other one was where reverse is. No codes were thrown. I think Larry just had to do a minor adjustment to get it working again - the reverse lockout solenoid so reverse could not be available while moving forward.

Larry Macedo has my Viper back since September 8, 2006 and is correcting all problems with it at this very moment. Thanks.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There isn't much to adjust here... it is an on-off switch. Ground the circuit and reverse is not locked out. no-ground and you can't go into reverse.

no adjustment possible.

but you can replace the solinoid.

S

SUN RA KAT

I can't wait for this drama to be over, too. I hope it will be over later this month when Larry has my car delivered to me and it is finally right.

I was very happy with the way my car ran before Larry got it. Larry and I talked at length before my car was sent to him about keeping the driving characteristics the same, but with "at least the high 700's in power". My car never had any surging or bucking before Larry worked on it. Larry promised that he would not release my car back to me unless it did drive right. It was delivered to me on July 1, 2006 and soon as the air temperature got above 85 degrees the same day my car became unsafe to drive because the surging and bucking were literally causing my car to lay rubber each time it surged and bucked...and the surging and bucking were constant. The surging and bucking were improved when my Viper Tech added grounding wires to the PCM and TPS, but the surging and bucking were still too much to safely drive in traffic. My car had a new PCM put in at Larry's request, but it wasn't flashed to have the 1,000 RPM that the cam he put in requires. In hot weather my car would want to die because of the too low 700 RPM idle and it even died once in traffic when it was 90 degrees out.

I'm waiting for Larry to answer an E-mail I sent him yesterday about what all he has fixed and what is still left to be completed. I appreciate everyone's opinion on what I should do and I think I will stay the course and let Larry make my car right and delivered to me before the end of this month. If he doesn't I may fly down to Florida and drive it or have one of you guys with a trailer tow it to Bradenton and have everyone see how good or bad it runs and then fly back to Ohio after I drop it off to Larry to have it completed and/or just trailered back to Ohio. The weather in December makes it much too dangerous to try and drive it back to Ohio from Florida.

If anyone wants to visit Larry and observe how my car is coming along feel free to do so (maybe call him first). You might even want to ask if it is far enough completed for Larry to take you on a test drive. Testing the car would involve driving it at low speed in 1st and 2nd gear at a fairly constant 1,500 - 2,200 RPM because that is where the surging and bucking occurs and not at high speeds or acceleration. If there is acceleration, then the surging and bucking stops. We're not talking about minor surging and bucking, either here - it's enough that it could not be driven in the rain or in traffic or in a parade. Larry could do the driving and the third party unbiased observer could report on how smooth it drives at a constant low speed in 1st and 2nd gear. This could be done on a side street or in a large parking lot.

But please do not interfere with Larry getting my Viper fixed right and on time. I don't think Larry is going to drop the ball on getting my car running right - I'm betting he's going to hit a home run.

S

SUN RA KAT

Larry Macedo answered my questions I had sent him November 1st on the status of my car and he told me today that he is working to make the car the way I want it, cruising in 4th or 5th gear @ 1500 like all the rest of his Roe blower upgraded vehicles. He will address the added concerns and report back to me.

I reminded him the surging and bucking in 1st and 2nd gears between 1500 and 2200 RPM while driving at a constant speed especially at higher outside temperatures are my biggest concerns, then comes the high idle hang up being stuck at the bucking and surging RPM. Then I asked him if he still foresees everything running right and my car delivered to me this month.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4th or 5th gear at 1500rpm? the car runs @ an RPM that low? plus, in 1st and 2nd, every car i've ever had an aluminum flywheel on has bucked at that RPM.

good luck to you. i hope you get it the way you want. but what you want doesn't really sound possible.

S

SUN RA KAT

I'm pretty sure Larry Macedo replaced my light weight aluminum flywheel with my stock flywheel.

My aluminum flywheel (installed before I picked my brand new car up from Woodhouse in July 2002) never had any bucking, surging, or jerking at any time either before or after the Roe supercharger was installed. Only after Larry returned my car on July 1, 2006 did I ever have any bucking, surging, or jerking.

BAD68GTO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car doesn't buck at that RPM and I have an aluminum flywheel and a Roe. Not looking to throw gas on the fire, but anyhow I think Kenny's "buck" and ours are totally different as he has a SERIOUS BUCK-it isn't Bambi!

On another note, a more serious note, I feel this is CRAZY that it is taking so darn long and the people that said give Larry a chance can't say Kenny hasn't given more than enough chances. Let me take your Viper for a year along with $30,000 and email progress reports on how my repairs are coming out and see how you guys like it. I have seen the IRS give better service, if I make a mistake and I do, I would not be taking on new work and would dedicate myself to fixing an existing customer's problem BEFORE taking on new work! Hell, from this story being public, it is a wonder Larry is still getting new work-would YOU give your car to him if he promised you *** HP increase, in YYY time for ZZZ money, be drivable and actually pay him? I feel knowing that it was supposed to be a few months, have high 700 HP, be drivable and cost $20K or so and it is now a YEAR, LOW 700 HP (hell have we seen dyno sheets at all??), $30K and needs an unplanned AEM supposedly, and SURELY isn't drivable! The closest Kenny is getting to driving his Viper is emailing a guy many states away to see if it runs let alone tunes! Hell, buy me a car and let me drive it for you while you EMAIL me to drive it-HA!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JD:

I think what Kenny is trying to say refers to that sweet spot at about 2000 rpm that is betwen part throttle and no throttle, it is a high vacuum range. For some reason that seems to be the spot where the closed loop seems to hunt for Lambda the most. It is more obvious in the lower gears, but, still is an issue in the higher gears. I think every modded viper has this problem to a certain degree.

S

SUN RA KAT

Jack - I never had this problem before when Sean Roe did the tuning long distance via U.S.Mail based on my reports to him on status of my spark plugs. What causes this low RPM surging and bucking? I have 55 pound fuel injectors now.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: The car was stolen from the trailer as it was being transported back to Kenny. This thread and saga can now DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KENNY,

What can I say, the last few months, driving your viper around has definately been memorable. I have gone through 2 complete sets of tires and thank god I pulled your stock speedo / Odo out before driving it as Larry only wanted me to put a few test miles on it ad I must have put close to 10K or more on it. Do Not Worry, I will put your stock Speed/Odo in and it will be "Good AS NEW", just like when I got it.

I had a minor run in with a 79 F150 pick up in a parking lot, but with a little elbow grease and a quart or two of Zaino and it should look as good as new. And BOY O Boy it sure is a good thing you had that Roll bar put in, but that is another story.....

Anyways, the car is on its way to Larry's now and I am sure he will call you to come get it after a quick detailing. The stumbling and surging are all but gone now and there is hardly any perceivable vibration, I would get another alignment done though as your car pulls a little to the right for some reason. Did you ever notice that big chunk missing from your passenger side front wheel?

PS. I am sur ethe car has at least high 700's for Horsepower now as I bolted in a Vipair before I layed her on the old open flatbed trailer for the journey back to Florida.

Good luck with the car Kenny and this thread can now go away as I have personally verified the integrity of Larry's work and all the repairs are complete now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456