Popping noise SOLVED!!!! (front end)

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After tearing most of the front end off this weekend I found the infamous "popping" sound that has been annoying me for several months...

You must be registered for see images attach

Two bad upper A-arm bushings that were basically fused to the bushing washers..

if anyone else has had this problem check these guys first!!!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm,,interesting...I had the same issue...it would happen from a start going forward or backwards...did yours do the same?

OP
OP
C

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep... anytime that a-arm would move.. (suspension travel)...

the bushings would seize during suspension travel... than "pop" as they finally gave way between the washer and a-arm...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wierd request... but do you have a recording of the sound? I'm hearing some sort of ticking popping sound occasionally at low speed. Wonder if it's the same thing. What year is your snake, and what part did you replace?

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW

I get a popping sound coming in from the rear ( i think ) when i roll from an idle. The mechanic told me i have bad diffs and said that adding fluid might solve the problem.

I'm beginning to think it might be this.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After tearing most of the front end off this weekend I found the infamous "popping" sound that has been annoying me for several months...

Two bad upper A-arm bushings that were basically fused to the bushing washers..

if anyone else has had this problem check these guys first!!!

\

This could be what has been causing the noise in mine the whole time. Thanks bud. Mine seems to be coming from the back end though. When I take off it kind of makes a popping noise too. DOes it 2 or 3 times quickly when I take off.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gotta love the search feature :)

Bump from 2006! Been having a mysterious popping sound coming from the front suspension on my 97 GTS. A quick search and BINGO, now I know what my problem is: bad bushings. There are a couple other threads gearing around the same issue. Thanks to you guys who fielded the issue and made it known here. Much appreciated.

QUESTION: Now that I know what I have to do to fix it, what else should I replace while I'm in there? I already have "new" connecting rods for the stabilizer bar, and will probably get new boots since they are cheap. What else should I replace while I'm in there? Should I do the same to the rear suspension while I'm at it? Any help would be appreciated before I order parts. Thanks in advance!

F

FrgMstr

Hehe, I looked at that and thought, that guy is riding around on those tires?!?!?!?!?!? Then I saw the date. +1 for an awesome thread necro.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have this same problem as well i believe. i would be driving down the road and feel this pop. almost like a thud. next thing i will look at.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have the sound but know the bushings need replaced. I have been considering doing the work myself. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone could loan or know where to get the required bushing tool?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great use of the search feature !

while you are searching, check out the other threads on control arms. a few have broken. if you are inspecting, might as well ispect as much as possible and know where to look.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one finding this old post useful. The sound is VERY deceiving, almost like I have something very loose banging up against something when I take off. I would have never guessed the bushings breaking free from being seized. I've been under the car twice looking for something loose or not bolted tight, and couldn't find a darn thing. Was driving me nuts until now.

Plumcrazy - BROKEN control arms!??? Isn't that about a $1500 fix? Damn I hope I'm not facing that situation.

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one finding this old post useful. The sound is VERY deceiving, almost like I have something very loose banging up against something when I take off. I would have never guessed the bushings breaking free from being seized. I've been under the car twice looking for something loose or not bolted tight, and couldn't find a darn thing. Was driving me nuts until now.

good info.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235