Newbie ..wannabe Viper owner needs help finding GTS

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been lurking and reading for two weeks and learned a lot from this board. Thanks to all. I wasn't able to log in due to transition problems with the Viper Club software I guess. This is my first post, finally online (thanks Lee)
I'm in Buffalo NY area and not many Vipers here. I drove one for sale at a local dealer 2 weeks ago( 99 red/silver stripes....12k miles) and really liked it a lot. I have also been watching auctions and every avail source...but I know nothing about Vipers and don't want to proceed without help and advice from this board.
Also, is there anyone one this board in the Fort Wayne area that can look at a 99 GTS for me? ( red with 19k miles)
I've read resonses to other newbies on this board and have learned a lot from the responses. Thanks
Tony P

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My recommendation is to buy the "Viper Buyer's Guide" which you can find on Amazon. Full of info.

What helps as well is what year, color and model Viper do you want? What price range, modded or stock, etc? The more you decide upon now makes it easier to know what to look for later.

You will also find lots of help here and do not buy a Viper unless you have someone look at it who know what to look for. In addition there are several top notch dealers to consider as well, Woodhouse and Tator and others as well. You can find references on this site for those dealers who come recommended. I can only personally vouch for Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse.

My last bit of advice, don't get in too much of a hurry, get the car you want. Don't compromise your dream as you will regret it later. I spent a measly 3 months in my search. But then again not many Bumblebees come up for sale.

Good luck. Oh, by the way, you do know that Red is the slowest Viper of them all. Something to think about when negotiating price, probably get a discount or something. :cool:

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was kinda thinking 1999 GTS with under 20k miles...is that do-able for 40 grand? I think red with silver stripes is a killer look
I was also thinking that yellow is a hot lookin color...but I'm not sure if the yellow ones are fast????? :D

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$40k will be tough for a clean GTS. Possible, but tough. Mid $40s would get you in a nicer one.

Take your time and make sure to do your research on what ever Viper you decide is the righ one!

Fort Wayne? Leslie lives out that way. Might want to PM her and see if she has time to help you out.

Good Luck and happy hunting.
If you could post here what you come across that would be helpful for others looking.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome!
Get the Buyers Guide

Questions to ask, things to look at, find out about etc......

1. What dealer was the Viper originally or last purchased from?
2. What is the current mileage?
3. Is it still under factory warranty? (what was the "in service" date?) Extended warranty?
4. Is the original window sticker available?
5. Do you have any of the original sales documentation?
6. What type of maintenance and / or repairs have been done to the car? (Records?)
7. Who performed / performs the repairs / maintenance?
8. When was the last service performed and what did it entail?
9. Does it have the stock radio?
10. Is there ANY curb rash on ANY of the wheels?
11. Has the car been driven in the rain? (cleanliness of the underside and wheel wells)
12. Are there equal gaps at the bottom sides of the hood, where the hood sides meet the top of the rocker panel? (just behind the front wheels) Pictures?
13. Are there equal gaps at the front "leading edge" sides of the hood where it meets the front bumper? (outermost front edge, towards the rear of the headlights) Pictures?
14. Are there ANY scrapes to the front spoiler? (under the car, black lip spoiler)
15. Are there ANY scrapes to the front fascia? (body colored front end, underneath)
16. Under the front of the car, have the leading or front portion of the front frame rails been scraped / bottomed out?
17. Are there any scratches, dents, scrapes to the inside door jambs (black painted areas)?
18. Are there any scrapes, dings, chips, etc to the rocker panel sides OR their undersides?
19. Does the A/C blow cold?
20. Do all switches and accessories operate properly?
21. Are there any fine cracks or surface spider-webbing cracks in / on the hood?
22. Will the hood stay up on its own?
23. Are the side bolsters of the seats (drivers in particular) showing any wear?
24. Do the doors close cleanly and flush and open without "dropping down" / sagging when opening? (sign of weak hinges)
25. Is the Viper garage kept?
26. Why are you selling?
27. What is your age?
28. What major city are you near?

Buying a used Viper
Here is a general list of questions I wanted to get answered, some of which were dealer-specific (at the bottom). It does not have year-specific questions, for example, for the 98 whether it has the upgraded fan. It does have a few RT/10 specific questions though. Hopefully this can be of help to others.

Used Viper Questions:
General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock / original, or minor / moderate modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes)
(headers, hi-flow cats, cat-back system, or more?) Rear wing?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (Body stripes - painted or vinyl) Interior mods?
3. Nature of radio / CD player (stock, single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both? Condition of each
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover? Side windows? (Gen1)
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide after-market warranty)?

Condition:
1. General overall condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.)?
2. Involved in an accident(s), damaged, repainted, (telltale signs) etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / front lip spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?) Scratches on sport bar? Sport Bar cap missing?
5. How maintained? Records? (One owner? How many and how long) Documentation / Paperwork? DOCUMENTATION AND HISTORY of maintenance and sale(s) / owner(s)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tire condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Wheels (condition, nicks, curb rash?) Stock wheels for the particular year or aftermarket
9. Carpet / Floor mats condition?
10. Smoker / non-smoker?
11. Nitrous or other power adder used?
12. Used for track events (strip, track, Viper Days and autocross)?
13. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside, chips, yellowing, sandblasted)
14. Condition of inside the door / rocker area
15. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
16. Bottomed out?
17. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable) and done CORRECTLY. Documented?
18. Head gaskets (Gen1) Documentation?
19. Hood alignment (symmetrical?) Any hairline cracks? Hinges keep hood up?
20. Doors close well (no drooping / sagging-bad hinges)

Buying from a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)
3. Delivery

Differences between GenI and GenII: there are other differences (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to “GenI and GenII” refers to engine changes, as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower. GenI was rated at 400hp, later GenI (96) were rated at 415, and the GenII is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. The hood
The GenI cars have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

3. Suspension
Changed to GenII suspension in 96. Both the GTS and RT have the same GenII components.

4. Exhaust
Went to rear exit exhaust in 1996

5. Other changes
Power windows, airbags, steering wheel, method of opening the doors, differential housing, CD player, speedometer, wheels, all changed from GenI to GenII
ABS added in 2001
Forged pistons deleted in 2000
Lumpy cam deleted in 2000

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper