Garage floor covering input/recommendation needed

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a few posts/pictures with people's garages that have floors covered with what appear to be vinyl composition tiles (VCT).

I was wanting to do the same thing in my garage, but I was told by a VCT manufacturer to not use VCTs in the garage unless it is climate-controlled. I was told that cold temperatures and wide temperature swings combined with the weight of the car would cause the mastic (glue) to not hold up, which would ultimately cause the tiles to "pop up".

At this point in time, I am not interested in the RaceDeck tiles, as I want an effectively sealed floor (though RaceDeck tiles certainly look very good). It seems that if you have any type of fluid spill with RaceDeck tiles, you will end up getting fluid under the RaceDeck tiles, which would be cumbersome to clean up. To get a sealed floor, I could simply epoxy the floor. However, the reason I would like to do a glued-downed tile is so I can have a sealed floor with a checkerboard and/or bordered pattern. I realize patterns are possible with epoxy floors, but I would like to explore other options first.

So... I have a few questions I would really appreciate some input on for those of you that have tile (non-RaceDeck) floors:

1. Are you in fact using VCTs... or some other type of tile?
2. Is your garage climate-controlled? If not, how cold has it gotten in your garage with the tiles?
3. How long has your garage had the tiles?
4. Have you had any issues with the tiles popping up?
5. What brand of tiles and mastic did you use?
6. Have your tires discolored the tiles?
7. Have you found the tiles to be stain-resistant?
8. Would you tile you garage again with the same product? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to your input/recommendation.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used 12" black and white tiles and made a checkerboard pattern. Automotive grade and they look very custom. No staining (grout is black) and never have had a chip or scratch.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OKViper... Thanks for the response. Since you mentioned grout in your post, are you using ceramic tile?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have vct tiles. They have been in place for 4 years.

I have had some lifting, primarily in the winter/spring. All in one area which leads me to believe I did not have adequate adhesive in that area (it is where I first started and was too conservative with the glue).

The tiles are not tire stain resistant. I use carpet pads under the tires. Also, the lawn tractor sits on a carpet as it also stained the tiles. So tires do not need to be hot to cause an issue.

An issue I have had is with water. I used future floor stuff which looks good but turns whitish if water stays on very long. I presume wax would avoid that, or nothing at all. Another issue is salt. It leeches along the joints and looks bad.

If I were to do it over today I would install ceramic so tire marks and water/salt issues were minized.

My $0.02

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OKViper... Thanks for the response. Since you mentioned grout in your post, are you using ceramic tile?
Yes, commercial grade 12" black and white tiles. These are the kind that you see in automotive museums. I have a separate garage portico and had it tiles. It was about $2000 and in four years have had zero problems.
If you're interested, I can put up a picture so you can see the tiled stemwall and pattern...

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My neighbour just tiled his floor with 4 inch ceramic tiles (commercial grade). Looks great

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another question to ask is,
What do they use their garage for?? Is it just parking space or do they actually wrench in there? Floor jacks, jack stands and so on... Could make a difference on flooring choice...
Cheers,

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Steamroller...good post..

I was looking to doing something with my garage I am going to have built. Since I am a wrencher...clean up is very important along with looks.

I thought about tile, but the problem I see with tile is that clean up maybe an issue also with the crevice or the valley between the tiles. So using a squeegy is out. I have expoxy on my floor right now but i don't like it all that well because I got the home depot grade stuff and it chips. I know there is an industrial grade type out there that is alot better. What I was thinking of doing is using the expoxy industrial grade and then using this large rubber mat that has ribs in it. I would lay this down over the floor when working on the car and since it's ribbed cleaning would be easy with a hose.

here's a link of the mat I am talking about. What's nice is that you can remove it outside and really give it a good cleaning once in a while.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also too what I like about this mat is that if you have a lift it will protect the floor from chipping from the lift touching it.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the mat that ab (Adam) described above for my garage. I was looking, primarily for something to cover a 40 year old cracked concrete floor. I have had mine down for 4 years (summer of 2002), and it cleans really well. The only thing I have found is that when parking on the mat with warm (hot) tires, the mat (mine is gray), develops a brown stain (burn, if you will). Also. I built and attached to the bottom of my jack stands, square pieces of 3/4 inch plywood to protect the mat from cutting by the jack stands.
The mat is available in different colors.

428GarageFloor05.jpg

428GarageFloor09.jpg

http://www.bltllc.com/GFloor_home.htm

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=6344

Later,

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of mine with vct's. As I said there are some shortcomings. But I am happier than I was with epoxy, but still not totally happy. No issue with the hoist as I lined the contact surface with a rubber strip to prevent it from digging into the tiles. Note you can see the catpet squares I use to protect the floor (actually door mats).

498100_1830.JPG

498100_1827.JPG

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(bandwagon!!)

Ok heres some pics of mine....

I have armstong VCT's and have had only minor problems..

jackstands cut into them... but they are speckled and the same color all the way through... I probably couldn't find the marks right now if I tried...

Tires and petroleum products do stain.... but "simple green" takes care of that.. it also seems the "polish" stains.. not the actual tiles

I have had these for almost three years and have only had to replace two tiles.. I moved a car against the wall for storage with a floor jack, and due to the lateral load of the suspension on the tires over a period of two months... it "scooted" the tiles outward from the rear wheels (rolling the car back and forth to settle the suspension would have help to avoid this)

all in all I would recomend them for their value... and if you jack one up they are easy to replace.. (chisel, scraper, glue remover...)

NEXT WEEKS PROJECT!!! I have been discussing this with UCoat It and Behr...

I will be sanding my floor with a buffer and drywall screen... (wait.. don't freak out)

Then painting it with a new type of industrial clear epoxy to seal it FOR GOOD!!!

no more waxing.. polishing.. buffing... and you can add sand for a non-slip surface... MORE TO COME!!!

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your garage looks great! What kind of lift is that?

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me or GR8 ASP????

Mine is an "Auto Lifters" and I love it... but they are now out of buisness due to the fact that they refused to buy cheap chinese steel.. and well... they couldn't slash their prices like everyone else....

Thanks! (if you were talking to me...)

Although I would rather have GR8 ASP's... including the contents!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USAF I would appreciate it if you could pass on the info for the sanding and sealing. The waxing aspect is the most painful. I have learned using Future is bad as it is not water resistant and starts to look bad. Having something water tight and more resistant to tire marks would be great. And worth the trouble to do I believe.

Garages are for toys for big boys!

Looks like you even have the same tool boxes. Hmm.

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab... Thanks for the rubber mat suggestion. I have a lift just like yours (I was part of your first group buy). I can appreciate your concern about the lift chipping the epoxy flooring, as a friend of mine with the same lift (also part of your first group buy) dealt with the lift chipping the epoxy. He ended up screwing strips of carpet to the lift's runways and put carpet under each post. Those additions eliminated the chipping issue.

Thanks to everyone for their input regarding VCTs. Those of you that posted pictures sure have nice looking garages!

It sounds like VCTs provide reasonable performance at a great value for a "working" garage.

I now have a few questions specifically regarding VCTs:

1. How slick are VCTs when they are wet?
2. Is the process of replacing VCTs fairly quick?
3. How extensively did you prep the garage floor?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried concrete stain? It comes in a variety of colors.
Clean the concrete with a mop and bucket filled with muratic acid which you can get at any hardware store, let it dry a day and then you can roll or spray the concrete stain, you can even tape up designs for stripes,checkers, borders and even add lettering, I have done some businesses wharehouses floors where they drag pallets across and it doesn't even scrape up, dropped chemicals and didn't even bubble, I masked up a inground pool cement deck to look like a slate design (used 3 different colors)and applied with small rollers and everyone thought it was slate.
I am building a garage as we speak and this is my intension, I might stripe it out with blue and white stripes with Viper lettering, GTS or whatever I decide.
If this thread is still going I will post pictures.

FLX109

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USAF I would appreciate it if you could pass on the info for the sanding and sealing. The waxing aspect is the most painful. I have learned using Future is bad as it is not water resistant and starts to look bad. Having something water tight and more resistant to tire marks would be great. And worth the trouble to do I believe.

Garages are for toys for big boys!

Looks like you even have the same tool boxes. Hmm.

I am really excited to see the results of the clear epoxy... I am sick and tired of waxing... I use an armstrong product (glorified mop and glow) and it too turns white when wet.. MORE TO COME!!! and yes the tool boxes.... hmm.. mine are missing... whats your address??? :nana:

and for the VCT questions...

slickness : like an ice rink when wet... but with my new clear epoxy and sand for grit... should be perrrrfect.

replacing : scrape old tile and glue off (10 min)... use adheasive remover for left over glue (10 min).. wipe up mess... let dry for a day... new glue (tacky in 30 min)... lay tile... can polish in 1-2 days...

floor prep : had floor poured smooth with buried seams... but I guess if you have seams.. fill them with vinyl concrete patch prior..

clear as mud???

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
USAF:

Any update on the flooring? My garage is almost done and I wuold like to do the flooring before I get any cars in there. Have any idea on pricing?

Thanks

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've recently put a new floor im my (new) garage. They are 20" tiles made of recycled PVC. They are welded tougether with a string and hot air. See pic.

The floor is resistant against oil and chemicals and easy to clean. It's used in many industries. The tiles becomes in the colors black, blue, grey, yellow and dark red. The strings are in much more colors.
More pictures HERE

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Heysie... Do you have any additional information regarding the recycled tiles you are using?

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Zen:

Do you know how this type of sealer would handle a garage with work done in it rather than a showroom?

Thanks

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this sealer is the same type you see and all the newer retail stores. the stain iteslf penetrates the concrete and than has a clearcoat on top of it. I guess it would dempend on the quality and application of the clear. our showroom will have cars parked in it, but no work performed. our shop area is 33000 sq feet and is all epoxy.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow the garages look great, makes me want to get mine together!

I just moved into a house with a 2+garage/2nd floor, room for a liftbut I need to drywall it and do the floors.

I like that mat, plus you could take that with you if you moved

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456