Do some model years need headgaskets replaced?

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In another post that I read there was a question whether or not the headgaskets had been replaced. Is this a recall?...or a common problem? If they are not serviced will this cause a catastrophic failure?? or just some tiny oil leaks?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Gen 1's (92-96 RT/10s), it is a very common problem. A lot of the cars have already been repaired under warranty (or the owner paid for it) so try to find one that has already been replaced. Expect to pay ~$2000.00 ($1000 for the gasket set :curse: and $1000 labor) to get it done at a Dodge dealership if you buy a car without them previously done. And no, there are no aftermarket Gen 1 headgasket sets :curse:

Richard H. Vitale

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick question- what symptoms will your Viper have if the headgaskets do need to be replaced? Asked another way, I would assume that if Im not having any engine problems, I should not be concerned at this point?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question- what symptoms will your Viper have if the headgaskets do need to be replaced? Asked another way, I would assume that if Im not having any engine problems, I should not be concerned at this point?

Look for coolant drops on your garage floor and/or the car running hotter than usual

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It would be helpful to know the year of your Viper.

Look for: Coolant smell during/after driving, signs of coolant weeping down the block, rise in oil level without adding oil, coolant pooling in "V" under the intake manifold...and MY favorite...massive, billowing white smoke out of exhaust pipes...sort of like the "Blue Angels" !!!

I think that you will find that most of us with GenI's pay particular attention to this issue. Service the coolant system REGULARLY (every one to two years at our house), noting that many cautious drivers have replaced the head gaskets before a major problem serfaces...while others retorq the head bolts every so many miles (5000 miles has been mentioned on a Viper driven regularly).

If you are a mechanic, it's not a bad job...but if not, AND you have a Gen I...get it checked now and regularly...in my opinion.

A "search" of this site will reveal a LOT of info.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my engine was rebuilt in '01, I have a coolant smell, but have no smoke issues and there are no coolant stains down the side of my block (I check at every oil change, which was yesterday), should I be concerned about this?

do you guys really re-torque your headbolts regularly? I assume you have to pull the valve covers, so I guess you need new valve cover gaskets?

I was under the impression that once the new head gaskets were installed this was not a concern...

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole "GenI head gasket issue" is not of epidemic proportions as it is portrayed here. I know of 5 local GenI owners and all are running on the originals.

One of the best explanations came from JonB. I would consider him a Viper expert as well. To save you from doing a search here is a quote from him:

The gaskets failed due to CYLINDER LINER CREEP.

Dodge became aware of this as '93 cars added miles. (At one time in '94 I had the highest mileage privately owned RT/10 in Dodge warranty records! [Al F. told me] )

Most owners drove FEW miles.....and it took almost 2 YEARS to discover the numerous problems emerge, and I.D. that flaw, which impacted and damaged (weak) gaskets. RDCs began in late 1994 to improve 'creep'and the gaskets lasted longer on 95 cars. It was fixed by 96. Thos cars warranteed with the "OLD" gaskets are probably going to be OK becasue the CREEP issue was fixed.

Those owners who faithfully torqued cylinder heads of 92-95 every 3000 mi or so prolonged the inevitable. I bet Tom HAS torqued his heads on occasion. Those owners who were repaired with OLD gaskets should definitely TORQUE THE HEADS every 5000 mi or so...

History Class DISMISSED....because I feel old and need to rest now!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my engine was rebuilt in '01, I have a coolant smell, but have no smoke issues and there are no coolant stains down the side of my block (I check at every oil change, which was yesterday), should I be concerned about this?

do you guys really re-torque your headbolts regularly? I assume you have to pull the valve covers, so I guess you need new valve cover gaskets?

I was under the impression that once the new head gaskets were installed this was not a concern...

The new MLS-style headgaskets are suppose to be a 100% cure for the leaky headgasket problem. I havent heard of anyone else's failing, so hopefully thats not the case for you either.

Mine were replaced but done BEFORE the new MLS gaskets were used. So, I still have the paper-style gaskets, but according to Jon B., mine were done late enough where Dodge had recgnized the "creeping" problem the gaskets had, so even though I have the old style, I SHOULD be ok. Just to be on the safe side, I still have my radiator flushed once a year w/the BG chemicals at my Dodge dealership, by their "Viper tech" (even though we know that term doesn't necessarily mean a lot)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Those owners who faithfully torqued cylinder heads of 92-95 every 3000 mi or so prolonged the inevitable. I bet Tom HAS torqued his heads on occasion. Those owners who were repaired with OLD gaskets should definitely TORQUE THE HEADS every 5000 mi or so... "

How much $$ is reasonable to have the heads torqued? I'm gonna have my crankshaft pinned and may as well get this done at the same time.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why are you getting your crankshaft pinned? I thought that was only a problem when installing a blower???

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why are you getting your crankshaft pinned? I thought that was only a problem when installing a blower???

I asked on here a couple weeks ago and was told stock guys are also in danger of the bolt backing out. I think its mainly a Gen 2 issue, but its cheap insurance

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was never really worried about the head gaskets on my car. As far as I knew they were not leaking nor did I ever smell any antifreeze being burned off. I was advised when I had blower installed to replace the gaskets because of the extra boost. Good thing I did because my gaskets were leaking but was so little it was burned off as the motor warmed up to temp.
The problem may not be with all Gen1's but I would bet that it is with most.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. FYI, I have a 94.

BINGO!

Most start to notice that antifreeze "smell" first as it may take a while before it makes it to the floor.

Have a Dodge Dealer run your VIN to see by chance the gaskets were done under warranty......unless you are the original owner

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Viper was not the only car, made in those years, to have head gasket problems. I think Neon had it too.

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah??/ Well Toyota had a lot of headgasket problems when thay came out with the V-6 engine years ago....so guess what they did??...extend the warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles. So...where is Toyota today??
It's called....I don't care how old your vehicle is....it's a deficient design and we'll take care of it cause we wanna ********* the market share instead of losing it!!!!!!! :headbang: :buttkick: :nana: :bonker:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah??/ Well Toyota had a lot of headgasket problems when thay came out with the V-6 engine years ago....so guess what they did??...extend the warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles. So...where is Toyota today??
It's called....I don't care how old your vehicle is....it's a deficient design and we'll take care of it cause we wanna ********* the market share instead of losing it!!!!!!! :headbang: :buttkick: :nana: :bonker:

Dodge's position is, "you drive a Viper, so you're rich, so you can afford to pay for the repair even with the insanely stupid Viper tax on the headgasket set" :curse: :buttkick:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what to look for - notice actual coolant drops.

428CoolantLeak05.jpg

Later,

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My 1994 never had any issues. I think the 1994's were a hit or miss. I know some just reqorque the heads, but as far as the sleeves go...with them moving..that was an issue.

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mechanic informed me that my head gaskets need replacing too. How much does each cost?