Ceramic Coating the Entire Exhaust?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing a B&B 3" exhaust, hi-flo cats and headers (Borla). I'm having the headers ceramic coated but for next to nothing I can have the entire exhaust coated (except inside the cats). Is this a good or bad idea?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally would not spend the money to have it done.
If it were visible......maybe, the hi-flows should take care of the sill heat and it might make a difference in heat abatement under the hood on the headers.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if its a road race car do it, if you do long long trips do it, if its a toy car rarely driven i dont even think you will notice a difference, but it would be nice to see a beofre and after heat test.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had it done and it did not help me at all. Wrote a post with data and pix a while back. Looks nice though.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all your feedback. I decided not to get the entire exhaust coated. The price wasn't as low as I thought it would and after researching this topic, I don't see the benefits. I'd rather reinvest the money into the "Supercharger Fund" I started for myself :D

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have B&B headers, with 3 in. stock cats and Borla Cat backs. I had the headers and all side sill pipe 2000 deg. JetHot coated. The sills are cooler but the heat did move to the rear pipe where it is uncoated. I had to put heat shields on the pipe next to the differential. I still don't regret having it done since the inside of the car and the sills are cooler.
Jerry

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Jerry. As Ron noted above...our "coating" project was less than an impressive success inspite of the plasma spray (28,000 degrees) base coat of nickel then cubic zirconium/ytrium...followed by cermat(similar, I believe, to Jet-Hot).

Another IN/KY member tried a variation of this process on his 2001 Viper...coating everything from the Belanger headers (the factory "2000 degree Jet-Hot" coating had already flaked off very early !!!), collectors, high flow cats, and first section of the 3" Corsa cat-back exhaust...which did move the heat rearward...giving the same "hot tail pipe" that you describe. After a 50 mile drive in his 2001 and my 2001 side by side( mine being stock except for a Corsa cat-back system) we stopped and measured the exhaust gas temps at idle...and the coated system's readings were over 100 degrees higher...NOT a "good" in our opinion. When we later dynoed his car, it had a lower than expected HP as well for a "creampuff". Needless to say, we did not try any other extra coatings.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456