1- 4 shift?

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the 1-4 shift deal? :confused:

It is supposed to help you do something or not let you do something?

It says in the book the dealer can disable - what is the trick?

Bruce

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the 1-4 shift deal? It says in the book the dealer can disable - what is the trick?

Its a standard feature on this transmission type to try to fool the EPA fuel mileage test. It doesn't bother most people; but, I don't like the occasional nuisance in stop & go traffic.

You can disconnect the connector and install a 2200 ohm resistor from Radio Shack, or buy a pre-made kit that provides watertight connectors to make it a more convenient installation. This is the same part that is used on all cars using this transmission: http://secure-order-server.net/caullc/cg...e=&cart_id=

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yah... summit racing or jegs can get you the skip shift eliminator kit. Just look up the one for the 'vette and it is the same. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku . $30.

Robbie - No offense but if you are charging $60 for that thing you need your head examined. and $95 installed? What crack are you smoking? Can you say VIPER TAX?

Literally, you lift up the car (jack works fine) you disconnect one end of a harness and you plug this in the other.

JD

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks all - I will order one. You folks are great! Hopefully as I learn these vehicles I can return the favor.

Bruce

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yah... summit racing or jegs can get you the skip shift eliminator kit. Just look up the one for the 'vette and it is the same. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku . $30.

Robbie - No offense but if you are charging $60 for that thing you need your head examined. and $95 installed? What crack are you smoking? Can you say VIPER TAX?

Literally, you lift up the car (jack works fine) you disconnect one end of a harness and you plug this in the other.

JD
JIPI, If you check your web site in your link it say: "Skip Shift Eliminator Viper Camaro Corvette GTO SSR
This item is no longer available."
Want to know why? Just keep reading.

Joe Dell

HURST 155-0100 C.A.G.S.SKIP SHIFT KIT
It costs me $32.95 from Summit Racing plus shipping for a total of $40.00. At $59.95, including the UPS charges of $7.95, that is a markup of 20%. As for charging $94.95 installed, it takes an hour to write up the work order, put the car on the lift, install the part, take the car off the lift, road test the car, and then bill out the customer. $94.95 for the part installed is more than fair as we get $80.00 per hour labor rate. Believe me there are other viper shops who gets $100.00 per hour. I agree with you that most people can install the part themselves but for those who can not then they have to pay for the time it takes to perform the job in our shop or anyone else's for that matter. This is because it costs us over $100,000.00 dollars in permits, insurance, workmans comp, and overhead each year to just open the doors. If you don't believe me ask Chuck Tator.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JIPI, If you check your web site in your link it say: "Skip Shift Eliminator Viper Camaro Corvette GTO SSR
True, no more available NOW, but only because some people bought the ones that were left when I posted the link yesterday.
Someone even sent me a PM to thank me for the link! :nana:

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just FYI purposes, it can be installed with no parts removal at all. I jacked up my 05 and could just do a reacharound and get it done with one hand. Easy install even for the novice mechanic.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score

JD
Want to know why? Just keep reading.

Joe Dell

HURST 155-0100 C.A.G.S.SKIP SHIFT KIT
It costs me $32.95 from Summit Racing plus shipping for a total of $40.00. At $59.95, including the UPS charges of $7.95, that is a markup of 20%. As for charging $94.95 installed, it takes an hour to write up the work order, put the car on the lift, install the part, take the car off the lift, road test the car, and then bill out the customer. $94.95 for the part installed is more than fair as we get $80.00 per hour labor rate. Believe me there are other viper shops who gets $100.00 per hour. I agree with you that most people can install the part themselves but for those who can not then they have to pay for the time it takes to perform the job in our shop or anyone else's for that matter. This is because it costs us over $100,000.00 dollars in permits, insurance, workmans comp, and overhead each year to just open the doors. If you don't believe me ask Chuck Tator.

Its $29.69 from Summit. Why even charge your customer any markup on the item, if you are going to make money on the labor? Just send them to Summit and let them buy it themselves. Or how about becoming a distributor for Jet and make some money on the item without overchargng your customers for parts.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...it takes an hour to write up the work order, put the car on the lift, install the part, take the car off the lift, road test the car, and then bill out the customer.

Remind me never to take my car to a quadriplegic! 1 hr for that? you have got to be sh*tting me. How much do you charge to use your bathroom? And is there a per-sheet charge on the toilet paper?

You're right. No viper tax here at all. i bet you have a lot of repeat customers.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its $29.69 from Summit. Why even charge your customer any markup on the item, if you are going to make money on the labor? Just send them to Summit and let them buy it themselves. Or how about becoming a distributor for Jet and make some money on the item without overchargng your customers for parts.

Well you must be looking at a different Summit Racing Web site than me or maybe I can not read the price correctly. It seems to me the web site below says $32.95 plus shipping and handling. I guess next time I will sell it at a $10.00 loss or better yet when I save up from selling items under cost I will get myself an eye exam.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well you must be looking at a different Summit Racing Web site than me or maybe I can not read the price correctly. It seems to me the web site below says $32.95 plus shipping and handling. I guess next time I will sell it at a $10.00 loss or better yet when I save up from selling items under cost I will get myself an eye exam.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

Thats because you are selling the more expensive piece, the Hurst. Try the Jet at the lower price and save your customers a few bucks. And I didn't say to sell for less than cost, but you are selling something from a place that anyone can get the same price from, so why markup the price for your customer? I could understand if it was not available to us at that price you marking it up, but not when you are paying retail price, not wholesale, jobber, etc. and then upcharging your customer 20% over retail. This has to be the most blatant Viper tax I have seen to date, and you are open about it also and don't see anything wrong with it. I feel for your customers(suckers). I would think the more business thing to do would be to establish your business with these reputable companies and get a wholesale account with them so you do not have to tax the crap out of your customers to try and make money. But hey best of luck to you and your customers, I guess if they don't mind paying 20% more for their parts, I would do the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave