Power Steering Fluid?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the 05 service manual, I do not see any information about power steering fluid, namely, the frequency to change and what to use. Anybody got any info?

Here's my chart from my 98, with frequency and what to use, good to go with that info?

http://www.yandros.com/Viper/ViperFluids.htm

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
YOUR Viper requires Mopar's ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid in its power steering (Now called Power Steering +4 in the PINT size)...in spite of the errors printed in the 04, 05 and 06 Service Manuals...as well as their on line editions that the Techs access !!!

2006 OWNERS' Manual(s) state that one uses ATF+4 Automatic Trans. Fluid (MS 9602)which is reddish...and, therefore NOT the older CLEAR Power Steering Fluid (MS 5931) that was used through 2003 (YES, the 2003 SRT-10 had the "old fluid" while 2004 and beyond had the ATF+4 fluid)).

Unfortunately, Dodge has not seen fit to correct these info errors in their publications or even on the Tech Connect lines. Sad!!!

As I just had to help sort this out on a member's Viper being serviced recently...the issue is very fresh in my mind.

See my rant a couple of years back: http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat...true#Post426858

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Great information, thanks!

So in summary, for Gen III SRT-10 Vipers, use the reddish ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid (MS-9602, which is P/N 05013457AA) for power steering fluid, not the clear older Mopar power steering fluid (MS-5931, which is P/N 04883077).

So how much should be used, and is the typical procedure used for the earlier models still applicable (i.e., siphon out, replace, turn on car and rotate steering wheel back and forth several times, and repeat steps 2x)?

Thanks,

John

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I have a 2003 Viper which has the original power steering fluid in it. It was not affected by the recall. So what fluid spec am I to use? What was the original spec and what is the part number that I should use when topping it off.

Robbie

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
John and Robbie...first off, as you recall, I am not a mechanic, so I do rely on the REAL Viper Techs for guidence. A well known Tech in the East says that he uses the ATF+4 in ALL Viper SRT-10"s. However, a more conservative Tech tells me that until DODGE clarifies this situation, he is required to use the factory fill...which means ATF+4 in 2004, 2005, 2006 Vipers...while using the older, clear Mopar Power Steering Fluid (MS-5931, which is P/N 04883077)in the 2003 Vipers. At this time, I am still using the "old, clear" stuff in our 2003 SRT-10...which sees LITTLE action as it is Wife's LEAST favorite. By the way, with the increased loads on the P.S. fluid from now doing DOUBLE DUTY on the P.S. AND the fans, I actually will likely change to the ATF+4 which has is a superior fluid as the chemists tell me.

I have been happy with the fluid exchange method: with car on a mid-rise lift (wheels all off the ground) **** P.S. reservoir down, refill with fluid...start engine and rotate steering wheel slowly lock-to-lock about 4-6 cycles...stop enging, **** our P.S. reservoir, refill etc., going through the whole business TWO MORE TIMES...then refill and call it finished...all of which was initially described by Janni and Henry Cone several years ago !!! I change P.S. fluid every 2-3 years in ALL of our Vipers.

Robbie: What color is YOUR OEM factory fill fluid??? Seems to me that around 1300 of the total number produced as Model Year 2003 Vipers (to about May 2003) were affected...with ours being one of them.

SURE WISH DODGE WOULD STEP UP and correct THEIR Service Manuals, CD's, and Tech online resources !!! It's called good customer service, good business, and even better risk management.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all of which was initially described by Janni and Henry Cone several years ago !!! I change P.S. fluid every 2-3 years in ALL of our Vipers.

Yeah, that's who I learned it from personally (~20 minutes away) years ago. I'm also wondering how much I need, i.e., if a 1 quart bottle will be enough to do that.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Tried to look up P.S. fluid volume for a Gen III...admittedly, was somewhat hurried...saw none listed. Suspect that it may take more than one quart of fluid to thoroughly exchange Gen III system with the added plumbing to the fans.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John you will also want to turn on the a/c to make the fan run.This will help move the fluid from the fan module and give a more complete change.You know I still have a phone you can call.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John you will also want to turn on the a/c to make the fan run.This will help move the fluid from the fan module and give a more complete change.You know I still have a phone you can call.

Thanks Tom! I call you when people here aren't enough! :D

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie: What color is YOUR OEM factory fill fluid??? Seems to me that around 1300 of the total number produced as Model Year 2003 Vipers (to about May 2003) were affected...with ours being one of them.

SURE WISH DODGE WOULD STEP UP and correct THEIR Service Manuals, CD's, and Tech online resources !!! It's called good customer service, good business, and even better risk management.

Steve,

Thank you for the info. :2tu:

My build date was 06/11/2003 and my vin is 1B3JR65Z63V501360. I have over 15000 miles with no problems. When I look up my vin on the dodge recall website my viper is not listed. this is why I have not changed out the fluid and checked the fan motor assembly.

Robbie

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Robbie. My guess is that you are one of the lucky few !!!

What color is your current P.S. fluid??

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really do not now as the car is up on my lift and another one is apart under it. You are right in that I have been lucky as the only problem I have had is with the Headlight BCM Reflash Recall.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Robbie, the reason that I asked about your current fluid is because I did see ONE 2003-SRT 10 that was built AFTER those subject to the cooling module recall that indeed had a failure of the P.S....noting that it had the "old fluid". That made me wonder even more about upgrading to the ATF+4...which, as you know, became the "factory fill" about 1.5 months after YOUR build date.

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John and Robbie...first off, as you recall, I am not a mechanic, so I do rely on the REAL Viper Techs for guidence. A well known Tech in the East says that he uses the ATF+4 in ALL Viper SRT-10"s. However, a more conservative Tech tells me that until DODGE clarifies this situation, he is required to use the factory fill...which means ATF+4 in 2004, 2005, 2006 Vipers...while using the older, clear Mopar Power Steering Fluid (MS-5931, which is P/N 04883077)in the 2003 Vipers. At this time, I am still using the "old, clear" stuff in our 2003 SRT-10...which sees LITTLE action as it is Wife's LEAST favorite. By the way, with the increased loads on the P.S. fluid from now doing DOUBLE DUTY on the P.S. AND the fans, I actually will likely change to the ATF+4 which has is a superior fluid as the chemists tell me.

I have been happy with the fluid exchange method: with car on a mid-rise lift (wheels all off the ground) **** P.S. reservoir down, refill with fluid...start engine and rotate steering wheel slowly lock-to-lock about 4-6 cycles...stop enging, **** our P.S. reservoir, refill etc., going through the whole business TWO MORE TIMES...then refill and call it finished...all of which was initially described by Janni and Henry Cone several years ago !!! I change P.S. fluid every 2-3 years in ALL of our Vipers.

Hi Steve-Indy,

This is kind of an old post but was hoping you could give some clarification on this one. My service manual for my 2006 coupe tells me to use "Mopar Power Steering Fluid MS5931. Transmission fluid should not be used in the power steering"
But from your above post it sounds like this is incorrect and it was a misprint and I should use the below:

Genuine Mopar Fluid 68218064AA Power Steering Fluid from amazon for $13.31 (kinna high) shows that it is part # 04883077 however it shows MS-9602 because apparently Mopar does not make MS-5931 anymore.

Is that the correct fluid I should buy for power steering fluid for a 2006?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Morketh...as you can see, this is one of my favorite topics. Having spent my entire professional life in a precise and highly scientific career, I have a very hard time sweeping critical issues under the "corporate carpet", so to speak.

Facts are as above.

However, since you have asked and since I have our 08, 10 and 14 Vipers right here...along with their owners manuals, as well as the 08, 09, and 14 service manuals on CD all before me...your answer (once again) is:

[h=2]"POWER STEERING FLUID[/h]The recommended fluid for the power steering system is Mopar® Power Steering fluid + 4 or Mopar® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid. Both Fluids have the same material standard specifications (MS-9602).
Mopar® ATF+4 (and Mopar® Power Steering fluid + 4), when new, is red in color. ATF+4 is dyed red so it can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition. As the vehicle is driven, ATF+4 will begin to look darker in color and may eventually become brown. THIS IS NORMAL. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. Consequently, odor and color cannot be used to indicate the fluid condition or the need for a fluid change.
The power steering system is filled-for-life at the factory and requires no regular maintenance. Although not required at specific intervals, the fluid level may be checked periodically. Check the fluid level anytime there is a system noise or fluid leak suspected."

For my typing convenience, this P.S. info quoted above was copied from the 2008 Viper Service Manual CD. The same info exists in the 2009 and 2014 Service Manuals.

The 2006 Owners Manual specifies ATF+4 on page 222...while the 2006 printed Service Manual says no ATF in the power steering (as does the 03, 04, and 05 Service Manuals).

Our 2008, 2010, and 2014 Owners Manuals specify: " Mopar® Power Steering Fluid + 4 or Mopar® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid"
BOTH are MS-9602

If you open (and, YES I have) our 08, 10, and 14 Vipers' P/S reservoir caps...the fluid is reddish...ATF+4...PERIOD !! If you open your Viper's P/S cap, who knows what you will find at this point because many, many techs referenced the Service Manual and not the Owners Manual and therefore used the older clear fluid...paying NO attention to the reddish fluid that they initially found. No comment.

As you can probably guess, I have personally checked the P/S fluids on many 04's, 05's and 06's...ALL of the observed fluids were ATF+4...reddish.

While our 2003 Viper did come with the old Mopar Power Steering Fluid which was clear, I changed it to ATF+4 AFTER the cooling module recall that affected about 1300 of the 2003 Vipers. I have continued to use the ATF+4 ever since in that 2003 without any problems.

I hope this helps. Feel free to call me if you need more convincing !!

Now, I have to try and put the correct Owners Manuals back in the correct Vipers.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend !!!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mopar® Power Steering fluid + 4 and Mopar® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid ARE the same fluid...so BOTH are MS-9602.

Several years ago,
Mopar® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid came in quarts...while Mopar® Power Steering fluid + 4 came in pints. Two pints of the P/S cost a lot more than one quart of ATF !!

I buy my fluids at a Viper friendly Chrysler dealership..at a nice discount which all of our club members know to ask for as well. We support them, and they support us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62