Another Dome light stays on question......

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I posted awhile back,as have others, about dome light staying on, after car is turned off and locked. So I had been lazy in taking to dealer for fear of my car being damaged while there. So I would manually turn off dome light switch and had no problems. Well the other day I left switch accidentally in normal position,when I locked car,dome lights must have stayed on and battery died. SO I jumped car and all is good.

My question is ,now after jump statring,car runs fine and dome light dims out like it should. I noticed when I locked car,switch was still in normal positon,instead of dome light staying on like it has been, it dimmed out when I hit alarm. So what could cause it to start working again. Any ideas. I still may eventually take it in,but waiting for more important things rather then just a dome light,even though it is annoying at times.
Thanks

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem and posted a same thread a few weeks ago. Took the car to the dealer and it wast a body control module. They replaced the part under warranty and it was fixed. No problem since then. Good luck.

2005 Siver SRT10 mamba ed. #88/200
Corsa Track 3"
RT high flow cats
K&N intake
DC Performance ECU upgrade
Unitrax 3.55
Quaiffe Diff.
Fidanza Alum. Flywheel
F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch
RB1 Nav.
Ipod integration
Glossy black painted center console
MGW first strike

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a common problem and also causes the headlights to flash on and off. there was a recall for the 2003 vipers for this problem. The dealer has to reflash the BCM, body control module, to fix this problem. The BCM reflash will also fix windows that do not drop down when the door is opened. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LEAVE YOUR MODIFIED ECM FROM ATRO OR DC PERFORMANCE IN THE VIPER WHEN YOU TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. SWAP IT OUT FOR THE FACTORY ECM FIRST!

Below is the recall number for the 2003 vipers from All Data.

Recall 03V388000: Body Control Module Software Update

DEFECT: On certain passenger vehicles, the multifunction switch park lamp contacts may corrode. The multifunction switch parking light contacts could cause the head lights, parking lights, and/or instrument panel lamps to flicker or become inoperative. This could affect driver visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Dealers will reflash the software in the Body Control Module. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during December 2003. Owners may contact Daimler Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997.

Robbie

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thansk guys. I remeebr seeing all of this before. My question was mainly just for.....How come after battyer died and I recharged, NOW ebverything works fine. Did the battyer dying, cuase the BCM to reset somehow. Because now i have no more problem.

SilverMamba189/200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like with most electronic devices, the first thing you should always do is remove power from it to let the microprocessor reset. I would speculate that by draining the battery fully it just reset the processor and fixed your problem.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good advice but remember to roll down your windows and have your key in hand before you remove the battery cable as the viper goes into theft mode when you reconnect the battery. if you check my back posts you will find out the proper way to restart the car.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, I'm bringing this back up because mine is doing it. My battery died completely and wouldn't hold a charge so I got a new battery. The problem went away and now after a month later, it came back tonight. Would this be a bad switch or the body control module needs a reflash? Everything else is fine except the dome lights.

Forgot to add that I have 2006 coupe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper