Gen1 ground post cover

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I was reading a writeup months ago on Vipers and I can't recall what it was. It talked about Gen1 Vipers having a plastic post cover type of thing over the ground post near the remote location where you jump start the car. You know that bolt on the driver side just behind the wheel?

Anyone with a Gen1 with this? They talked about dealers removing them to charge the battery but someone must have kept one.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I had TWO...for 8 and 9 years respectively...then LOST THEM(as I removed the battery tenders and failed to put the caps back on the termiinal) moving two Gen I cars from one space to another at my house on the same day!!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a plastic box over the battery side post?

7107rear_left_engine.jpg

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is on about the green threaded cover that goes over the earth terminal on the Chassis just behind the front drivers wheel...Not the live (positive) terminal..

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not talking about the plastic box itself that you open to put the positive charge on....I'm talking about the ground screw about a foot below, mounted to the frame that you put the negative on.

Baz, That is it although I've never seen one. Your picture's background is blurry. Is that actually on the car? It looks like it is sitting on a sanding/polishing disc. Thanks!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never jumped the car, so never realized it was there. The threaded stud sticks upward, located an inch or two behind the plastic inner fender, inboard of the side sill, outboard of the aluminum heat shield under the clutch reservoir and brake booster.

But no, I don't have a cover on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The green plastic "cover" was supposedly there to protect the bare threads from the black paint. I have tried to trace these to no avail.

mz94viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper Baz UK has the correct picture. The green plastic tab fits over the grounding stud that Tom F&L GoR shows in his pic. Production description illustrated in Maurice Liang's Viper Buyers Guide explains " the infamous green doohickey was installed by workers while the frame was being painted to stop the electrostatic paint from coating the post. Craftsman at the VIPER plant simply left them in place on the post for 6 years of VIPER production. It has no part number and no internal cost factor - but every 92-96 R/T 10 had one. Many dealers and owners discarded them when they discovered they had no function. But without a part number, its impossible to replace". Nice pic of one is on page 157 of his Buyers Guide also.

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've a stock 93 RT/10 and it's amazingly still got the green doohickey in place even after 42k miles. Exactly the same as the one pictured by Baz, drivers side just behind the mudguard - so rare must be worth more than the car itself. :2tu:

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've a stock 93 RT/10 and it's amazingly still got the green doohickey in place even after 42k miles. Exactly the same as the one pictured by Baz, drivers side just behind the mudguard - so rare must be worth more than the car itself. :2tu:

DITTO!

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK you braggers Nigel and Viper93...I have every piece of paperwork, wrapper, sticker, label, etc. that came on my 95. Sell me one of yours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave