Sold the c6z, kept the Viper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took delivery on the Z in June, have had the GTS since 07/03. With winter here and a choice to make, the decision was easy. The Z06 is incredible and very advanced, as everyone has stated - but...

The Viper is still in a league of its own. Maybe you must own one to appreciate, but I just couldn't imagine choosing the other over it. The guided tour @ CAAP really helps one to understand the craftmanship that goes into these fine machines and just how special they are! Long live the Viper!

Safe motoring, Merry Christmas and Happy 'all holidays' you may celebrate.

John

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice. I have seen 3 C6 Z06's in the last two weeks in my area. Bad *** looking ride, but no Viper.

Now put a little of that extra money into the FE, to make sure you can hold up the Viper name in case you come across one! :)

D

dano

Wow...I sold a C5 Z and got the Viper GTS. I looked seriously at the C6 Z but was too pricey for me. I have seen several C6 Z's in the Denver area and have seen only two other Vipers (neither a gts) since I got mine in September.

I figure with a few mods I can pull on the C6...not to mention that there is no comparison when it comes to styling. I don't think the "thumbs up's" will ever get old and even young kids go "Wow...that's a Viper". :2tu: Happy Holidays!!

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you made a fine choice! I had a C5 Z06, and while I know it's nothing compared to the C6 Z06's power and handling, I think the ownership feeling would be very similar. The Z's just don't do it for me. The Viper will always be #1 in coolness. :)

OP
OP
F

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. Both the c5/6z are a great value and very streetable, capable, easy to drive hot rods. We can all make any car faster than another, but styling is ageless and I believe all Vipers (especially GTS's) will stand the test of time.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice.. In 4 years that Z06 will be worth around $25k.. The viper.... Probably not much less than its worth today...

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice.. In 4 years that Z06 will be worth around $25k.. The viper.... Probably not much less than its worth today...

2002 C5 Z's are still worth low 30's, and were about 15k cheaper to begin with than the C6 Z was (is).

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2002 C5 Z's are still worth low 30's, and were about 15k cheaper to begin with than the C6 Z was (is).

I have owned and sold both a 2002 Z06 and a Black 2000 Viper GTS.... I sold my 2002 Electron Blue z06 (which I bought new) for $27k, after 4 months of having it for sale... The viper, I sold in 2 days for more than I paid for it... The blue book numbers are great, but kbb is not writing the check.. Corvettes with any more the 10k miles, just become used cars.. Not trashing corvettes, I have owned more than dozen of them.. Its just the truth.

Have you owned both??

D

dano

I have...'02Z sold and got the '97 GTS. I had the Z on ebay and had a low reserve because I had already bought the Viper and two red hotrods in the garqage was grating on my wife..

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have owned and sold both a 2002 Z06 and a Black 2000 Viper GTS.... I sold my 2002 Electron Blue z06 (which I bought new) for $27k, after 4 months of having it for sale... The viper, I sold in 2 days for more than I paid for it... The blue book numbers are great, but kbb is not writing the check.. Corvettes with any more the 10k miles, just become used cars.. Not trashing corvettes, I have owned more than dozen of them.. Its just the truth.

Have you owned both??

It doesn't matter how many cars I've owned, I know how much the C5 Z's are worth. I have a couple of friends who are looking for them, and one who just bought one. He bought an '02 Electron Blue with about 30k miles and it cost him $32k I believe. He looked around for a bit before he got that one, and not a single Z was under 31. At the car lot, most are selling for $34k - $36k. That's not to say you CAN'T find one for less than that, just that IN GENERAL they're selling for low 30's. I have also seen a GenII Viper that was in good shape (but higher than normal mileage) sell for $28k.

Vipers do hold their value better than Vettes. They are far more rare, and normally have lower mileage and are in better shape. But to say C6 Z's are going to be $25k in 4 years is nothing but absurd.

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it really that absurd to say their will be asome 2006 C6Z's for that price in 2010??????

I dont think so...Ive seen quite a few 2002 Z06's in the 24-29 range. actually id say most of the private owners sell them in that range...

The 2006 C6Z06 in 2011 will realistically be a 35K car. (ESPECIALLY if they do build the Blue Devil).....But that dosent mean that some one wont let them go for high 20's...

A buddy of mine was gonna pay 80 grand for a c6Z06...I begged him not to do it and convinced him to buy a 2005 NSX for 80 grand instead????

WHY DID I DO THAT?????? Well his wife wasnt digging the srt10 first of all..

But the reason i told him to get the NSX was simple...The NSX was a 90 grand car that was selling for 80 grand cas it had 2000 miles on it..

The C6Z06 was a 67 grand car that was selling for 80 grand...

4 years from now the NSX will still be worth a minimum of 50 grand
4 years from now the C6Z06 will still be worth a minimum of 35 grand

So I asked him....

Do you want to loose 30 grand on a car that has stood the test of time?
Or do you want to loose 45 grand on a car that is the popular car right now?

The C6Z is bad a$$ but never forget it's just a mass produced vette that happens to run mid 11's...The second the blue devil comes out or the new C7Z06 comes out that thing will be next to worthless just like a 2002 Z06 that some one only 4 years ago paid 55K for but would now be happy to sell for 29K.

You can buy a used 2002 Viper/NSX for 55 grand right now and 4 years from now in 2010 still get a solid 45 grand for the same car.

Vettes are just horrible for resale. Realistically...Dont 2002 C5Z06's and 1994 rt10 Vipers sell for around the same price??????

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you owned both??

It doesn't matter how many cars I've owned, I know how much the C5 Z's are worth. I have a couple of friends who are looking for them, and one who just bought one. He bought an '02 Electron Blue with about 30k miles and it cost him $32k I believe. He looked around for a bit before he got that one, and not a single Z was under 31. At the car lot, most are selling for $34k - $36k. That's not to say you CAN'T find one for less than that, just that IN GENERAL they're selling for low 30's. I have also seen a GenII Viper that was in good shape (but higher than normal mileage) sell for $28k.

Vipers do hold their value better than Vettes. They are far more rare, and normally have lower mileage and are in better shape. But to say C6 Z's are going to be $25k in 4 years is nothing but absurd.

You are giving me the "buyers" perspective, which doesn't hold much weight... I am giving you the "sellers" perspective... Heck, Im sure you could go out an pay $40k for an 02' Z06 today if you wanted to, does that mean, thats what they are worth??.... I dont know your friends circumstances were, financing,etc,etc....

I will tell you this...I am VERY familair with the auction ( wholesale) prices for many makes and models of cars.... If you have CASH in your hand.. A nice, 2002 Z06 can be yours for $25-$28k, plain and simple... If your friend paid low $30's, have him try to re-sell it for that, it wont happen.....

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a search on ebay for 2002 Z06s. The LOWEST one I found had a "buy it now" price of $28,500 and it had 35000 miles on it. Ebay isn't the greatest reflection of car values, but it's normally the cheapest prices you are going to find. People buying a car they've never driven from a stranger on the internet is risky, and the prices are generally lower because of that.

Keep in mind, the 2002 was not only the first year of the Z06, but it also had lower horsepower...so it's the cheapest one you're gonna find.

You're not going to convince me that it's NORMAL for a C5 Z06 to sell for $25 - $28k, and you're WAY OFF in thinking the C6 Z06 is only gonna be worth $25k in 4 years.

03CobraAV8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used C6 Z's in 4 years will be mid 40's to low 50's, depending on condition and mileage - no use arguing. If you think otherwise, you are wrong.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a search on ebay for 2002 Z06s. The LOWEST one I found had a "buy it now" price of $28,500 and it had 35000 miles on it. Ebay isn't the greatest reflection of car values, but it's normally the cheapest prices you are going to find. People buying a car they've never driven from a stranger on the internet is risky, and the prices are generally lower because of that.

Keep in mind, the 2002 was not only the first year of the Z06, but it also had lower horsepower...so it's the cheapest one you're gonna find.

You're not going to convince me that it's NORMAL for a C5 Z06 to sell for $25 - $28k, and you're WAY OFF in thinking the C6 Z06 is only gonna be worth $25k in 4 years.

Not that it matters.....but 2002 was the second year the Z-06 was made. 2001 had 375HP, 2002-2004 had 405HP. C6 Z-06 is NOT going to be $25,000 in four years. I've owned four Vettes, and yes they drop in value, but the C6 Z-06 is in a different class. Sure you'll find a salvaged POS for $25K but not a Pristine car like one of us would want. Most importantly wholesale auction prices are BS. Are you an enthusiast who wants a perfect car no matter what, or are you just a salesman hustl'en a deal. Your buddy bought the NSX cause he wanted to be seen in some kind of sportscar. I buy cars that are part of my sole, every mechanical feature is highlighted in my passion. The styling features, the motor, the tranny, the materials, the craftsmanship. You either get it or you don't. The money is just the cost of acquiring it, I don't think about selling it before I buy it, [*****]. There are car guys and then there are guys who make money selling them. Rarely do they have the same passion.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not that it matters.....but 2002 was the second year the Z-06 was made. 2001 had 375HP, 2002-2004 had 405HP. C6 Z-06 is NOT going to be $25,000 in four years. I've owned four Vettes, and yes they drop in value, but the C6 Z-06 is in a different class. Sure you'll find a salvaged POS for $25K but not a Pristine car like one of us would want. Most importantly wholesale auction prices are BS. Are you an enthusiast who wants a perfect car no matter what, or are you just a salesman hustl'en a deal. Your buddy bought the NSX cause he wanted to be seen in some kind of sportscar. I buy cars that are part of my sole, every mechanical feature is highlighted in my passion. The styling features, the motor, the tranny, the materials, the craftsmanship. You either get it or you don't. The money is just the cost of acquiring it, I don't think about selling it before I buy it, [*****]. There are car guys and then there are guys who make money selling them. Rarely do they have the same passion.

Ooops, you are right. 2001 was the first year. I always think of 2002 as the first year, because everyone wants a 2002 - 2004 because of the HP gain heh

Only cool thing about the 2001 was it was the only year you could get white (I imagine those might cost a little extra if you can find them).

Good post by the way. I agree with you, and have the same passion for cars.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You sound like a tv commerical :D

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it really that absurd to say their will be asome 2006 C6Z's for that price in 2010??????

I dont think so...Ive seen quite a few 2002 Z06's in the 24-29 range. actually id say most of the private owners sell them in that range...

The 2006 C6Z06 in 2011 will realistically be a 35K car. (ESPECIALLY if they do build the Blue Devil).....But that dosent mean that some one wont let them go for high 20's...

A buddy of mine was gonna pay 80 grand for a c6Z06...I begged him not to do it and convinced him to buy a 2005 NSX for 80 grand instead????

WHY DID I DO THAT?????? Well his wife wasnt digging the srt10 first of all..

But the reason i told him to get the NSX was simple...The NSX was a 90 grand car that was selling for 80 grand cas it had 2000 miles on it..

The C6Z06 was a 67 grand car that was selling for 80 grand...

4 years from now the NSX will still be worth a minimum of 50 grand
4 years from now the C6Z06 will still be worth a minimum of 35 grand

So I asked him....

Do you want to loose 30 grand on a car that has stood the test of time?
Or do you want to loose 45 grand on a car that is the popular car right now?

The C6Z is bad a$$ but never forget it's just a mass produced vette that happens to run mid 11's...The second the blue devil comes out or the new C7Z06 comes out that thing will be next to worthless just like a 2002 Z06 that some one only 4 years ago paid 55K for but would now be happy to sell for 29K.

You can buy a used 2002 Viper/NSX for 55 grand right now and 4 years from now in 2010 still get a solid 45 grand for the same car.

Vettes are just horrible for resale. Realistically...Dont 2002 C5Z06's and 1994 rt10 Vipers sell for around the same price??????

You just asked if it'd be so absurd to say they'll go for $25k in 4 years, then said they'll go for $35k in 2011. There will ALWAYS be that one cheap car that goes for a low price (that's why I mentioned seeing a nice Viper go for $28K). We're talking about GENERAL prices, though. If you want to try to compare the depreciation of the C6 Z with the C5 Z...well C5 Z's go for 30k let's say. Now, they dropped in price when the C6 Z came out. When the Blue Devil comes out, I don't think it will affect the C6 Z's price as much, because they will be limited production. But just for argument's sake, let's say the C6 Z DOES drop in value as much as the C5 did. At $30k, that's still at least 55% of its original price of $55 - 57k. 55% of $75k is going to be right near $40k. You are going to have a higher fluctuation of prices with the C6 Z, because they came with several more options. But even the most basic C6 Z cost $68k (in 2006, they went up several thousand dollars in 2007), and 55% of that would be about $35k.

Again, this doesn't account for a probable lower decline in value when the Blue Devil comes out, nor does it take into consideration the possibility of the C6 Z becoming somewhat of a collector car IF they discontinue the LS7 and go with a smaller engine, nor are we considering the price increase in 2007 into the equation. So even in the worst case scenario, the car should still be worth no less than $35k in 4 years.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used C6 Z's in 4 years will be mid 40's to low 50's, depending on condition and mileage - no use arguing. If you think otherwise, you are wrong.

That there is funny! :D

NO way it's a 50k car, even 40k. They make wayyyy to many of them!
Nice try though NOOB! :bonker:

X vetter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but in 2001 the C5 Z06 had 385 hp, and more importantly had the dreaded high oil consumption issue. This was because GM changed the metal composition in the piston rings and that resulted in excessive oil consumption in high rpm light load situations. I've seen our service dept rebuild more than a few...absolutely killed the resale on the 2001 Z06

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I screwed up, your right 385HP. Even earlier models had ring issues, my '99 FRC was a potential canidate, but I never burned any oil. I believe that the '01 Z-06's had low tension rings. Didn't they change over to a Napier style ring to help with the problem? I think they also made revisions to the blocks for the breather system. Your right about the high rpm no load situation, owners holding it in 1st gear at the grocery doing 35mph in the parking lot, hello can you say squid.

03CobraAV8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They made a lot of C5 Z's and they've depreciated ~$25k for the '01-'02's. Why would the C6 Z depreciate more than that?

Mid 40's to low 50's is the most logical answer for the 4 year price of the C6 Z, given the amount that the current C5 Z's have depreciated.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They made a lot of C5 Z's and they've depreciated ~$25k for the '01-'02's. Why would the C6 Z depreciate more than that?

Mid 40's to low 50's is the most logical answer for the 4 year price of the C6 Z, given the amount that the current C5 Z's have depreciated.

Why don't yo give it up? If you want to talk vettes then go to the vette forum. Your boring me with your blabber. Who give a [*****] how much a vette is going to be worth in 4-5 years. Most people on here could buy one right now if they wanted to. So what, enough already. Did you come over here to specifically defend the tuperware bowl? If so you've had your say now leave.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why don't yo give it up? If you want to talk vettes then go to the vette forum. Your boring me with your blabber. Who give a [*****] how much a vette is going to be worth in 4-5 years. Most people on here could buy one right now if they wanted to. So what, enough already. Did you come over here to specifically defend the tuperware bowl? If so you've had your say now leave.

Wait, you're talking Vettes just as much as he is. If it's so boring, then why are YOU talking about it?

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you here defending them? Do you have a Viper? Who made you the authority on the future value of tuperware cars. Quit being a ***** and go away.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get so tired of reading NOOB enthuiast posts. Go get a Viper - then we'll talk. (It is a Viper Forum).

03CobraAV8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Outstanding posts guys!

But, whether or not someone owns a Viper has no bearing on the probable 4 year price of C6 Z's.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point guys. I should go buy a Viper so I can become an expert on the value of Corvettes.

What was I thinking???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456