Buying a Viper in the next week (Need input from viper owners)

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 2004 Viper with 5900 miles on it (from a dealer). It still has nearly all 3 years of the factory warranty on it. I wanted to know if anyone could give me some pointers on what to look for in terms of abuse etc. that I may over look or not know of. Thanks in advance

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HI Shandon

Don't look for anything!

Get a qualified viper tech to help inspect the vehicle. It's money well spent.

Carleton

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't buy an srt convertible used until you check out prices of left over 05-06. The deals are unbelievable. My guess is they might egal what you are being offered on a used one. All VCA friendly Viper dealers with inventory and great reputations for treating thiose here with honesty and respect. Others may throw in a few more for you.

Try Bill Pemberton www.woodhouse.com
Chuck Tator www.tatorsdodge.com
John Gastman www.romocoinc.com

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Other then looking for obvious signs like tire wear,are they all chewed up, or are they brand new which maybe means they were changed after being abused. Look at paint and body,see if owner cared for it,interior,etc. Otherwise, you should be pretty safe buying from a dealer and having a factory warranty still.
I bet the dealer would even rack it and put it in the air for you to look at undercarraige. Either way, a dealer has alot of liability,so i dont think they would sell you a bad car,unless they are a shady dealer.

Like others said, before you buy used,check out a left over new one, may get a smoking deal.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Other then looking for obvious signs like tire wear,are they all chewed up, or are they brand new which maybe means they were changed after being abused. Look at paint and body,see if owner cared for it,interior,etc. Otherwise, you should be pretty safe buying from a dealer and having a factory warranty still.
I bet the dealer would even rack it and put it in the air for you to look at undercarraige. Either way, a dealer has alot of liability,so i dont think they would sell you a bad car,unless they are a shady dealer.

Like others said, before you buy used,check out a left over new one, may get a smoking deal.

I agree. A low mileage Viper with warranty (that is it has a clear, non salvage title) should look like new. The tires should be original at that low a mileage, in the rear there should be about half the tread of the fronts.

I saw a used 8000 mile SRT-10 Viper go for $49,300 on eBay recently (the seller forgot to set a reserve and the buyer said he got a great car at a great price so I think the deal really occurred), so there are smoking deals on used ones too!!!

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. The dealer is a large well known outfit here in Cincinnati. I can get it for 56K with almost 3 years bumper to bumper on it still. I don't see any blemishes and the back wheels look great. I just wondered if there are things under the hood or (I like the idea of having up on a rack to look at it!! Great idea). From what I can tell (please correct me if im wrong) there isn't a lot a difference from 04-06? I know even 03 is the same other than the red calipers and hard cover for the convertable. If you have read this far I have another question. Where would you recommend me learn how to drive this beast once I buy it(parking lot, freeway)? I have never driven anything like this before and I respect it's power. I own a Ram and a suburban, the only thing they share with a viper is there gas mileage :) . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456