Running stereo wires from trunk to cabin

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have searched the database, and have not come up with much. Has anyone run RCA's from the stereo to the trunk, and then speaker wire from the trunk to the doors in a gen II RT/10? If so, any tips?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this the first stereo install on my 95 RT-10. The problem is when you remove the back panel behind the seats, the grommet hole (behind passenger seat) to the rear area does not go into the trunk. It goes out into a void area in the fender well, you have the distance of about 1.5 feet to go passed the gas tank. To use this space and run wires you need to remove the passenger wheel and the inner fender lining, then you can run the cables into the trunk and replace the fender lining.

It is very much a pain to get cables from an amp in the trunk to the rest of the car. A solution I had was to put the Amp in the cabin under the driver seat. There is plenty of room. This allows you to run new RCA cables, heavy gauge power cable and new heavier gauge speaker wires. You can't see any of the wires or amp once the seat is back in. Easiest way if you ask me, + shorter cable lengths are required.

Here is a pic of how I did it. Hope this helps.
2222Viper_Interior_2.JPG

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACELLR8-that really helps a lot-thanks! The only remaining question is the difference between the gen 1 and 2. On the gen 1, the grommet is on the passanger side. On the gen 2, the grommet is on the driver's side. Does anybody know if there is anything different as far as the space between the cabin and the gas tank on the driver's side?

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to look at mine tonight. I had 2 amps & a disc changer installed in my trunk. Under the seat looks nice, but here in Texas I sure do not need a seat warmer. I think that would get hot pretty quick.

Andy

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to look at mine tonight. I had 2 amps & a disc changer installed in my trunk. Under the seat looks nice, but here in Texas I sure do not need a seat warmer. I think that would get hot pretty quick.

Andy
Exactly my thoughts. If you woulnd't mind taking a look, that would be great.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do subs in the trunk of a rt/10 sound good????

Nope, not really. I went this route the first time, had 1 10" JL audio sub in the trunk in a custom box. Sounded horrible and all it did was vibrate the license plate frame.

You have to remember you have the gas tank inbetween the cabin and the trunk.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4126DSC00779.JPG

4126DSC00778.JPG

4126DSC00777.JPG

8" SUB

4126All_Pictures_3-22-03_083.jpg

4126All_Pictures_3-22-03_085.jpg

My car is on top of my lift right now, I can look to see where the wire run on Sat. when I take it down.

Andy

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran mine through the grommet in the passenger footwell and down the transmission tunnel on the outside.

If you are running wires on the outside there is an easy way to cheat to get in the trunk. Just follow the frame rail into the rear bumper and punch a hole in the large plug/grommet. Super easy, just buy a new one as a spare and you can go back to stock in seconds.

4355Cd2.jpg

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran mine through the grommet in the passenger footwell and down the transmission tunnel on the outside.

If you are running wires on the outside there is an easy way to cheat to get in the trunk. Just follow the frame rail into the rear bumper and punch a hole in the large plug/grommet. Super easy, just buy a new one as a spare and you can go back to stock in seconds.

4355Cd2.jpg
That looks awesome. I was planning on doing a complete custom trunk, so where the wire comes into the trunk is no problem. I will have to take a look at that option as well.

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
4126DSC00779.JPG

4126DSC00778.JPG

4126DSC00777.JPG

8" SUB

4126All_Pictures_3-22-03_083.jpg

4126All_Pictures_3-22-03_085.jpg

My car is on top of my lift right now, I can look to see where the wire run on Sat. when I take it down.

Andy
Andy-Thanks for the pics. I plan on doing exactly the same. When you take it down, and if you have the time, could you look at how the wires are run?
Thanks,
G

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm redoing my stereo and am thus resurrecting this thread!

Quick question; what kind of wrap can I use to insulate the new speaker cables from heat? I have the control wire, 4 14-gauge speaker wires and 2 sets of RCA cables run through the grommet in the passenger side floorboard. When I got under there to pull the wires through I noticed that the exhaust runs about 6" way from that grommet.

I bought some plastic electrical wrap from Home Depot that's rated up to 200˚, but the factory wiring has some sort of woven wrap concealing and insulating it. I checked with the guys at Pep Boys and they said to use something similar to Dynamat to wrap it, but I don't want something that bulky (if possible).

If the wiring is fine with the Home Depot stuff, I'll used that. If there's something better let me know where it is. Thanks, guys!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm redoing my stereo and am thus resurrecting this thread!

Quick question; what kind of wrap can I use to insulate the new speaker cables from heat? I have the control wire, 4 14-gauge speaker wires and 2 sets of RCA cables run through the grommet in the passenger side floorboard. When I got under there to pull the wires through I noticed that the exhaust runs about 6" way from that grommet.

I bought some plastic electrical wrap from Home Depot that's rated up to 200˚, but the factory wiring has some sort of woven wrap concealing and insulating it. I checked with the guys at Pep Boys and they said to use something similar to Dynamat to wrap it, but I don't want something that bulky (if possible).

If the wiring is fine with the Home Depot stuff, I'll used that. If there's something better let me know where it is. Thanks, guys!

Go to McMaster Carr and use the search term "wire Sleeve." They have high heat stuff. Electrical tape is garbage for heat resistance, unless you like gooey glue residue with your melted tape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala