2008 Detail information

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Let's try at a collective thread of info on the new 2008 - free of comments or opinions - just the facts.

We got a lot of info on these motors last week and a lot were taking notes so let's post what we learned.

<ul type="square"> [*]The VCA has influence - The original goal was 560 hp.

***600 hp was in large part due to SRT listening to VCA members and stepping up to the challenge. A 100 hp increase on an already impressive motor is fantastic. Thank you SRT!

Gen 1 motor = 50 hp per Liter

Gen 4 motor = 71 hp per Liter

[*]That yielded a massive jump in power:

[*]This motor is strong low and high- with the high extended several hundred rpm higher. As we saw firsthand on the dynos:
RPM HP TQ
2400 225 495
3700 410 550 (Power is already beyond a standard vette)
4800 524 570 (Power is now beyond a z/o6)
6000 613 535 :2tu:

[*]Friction takes a lot of power: The dyno turned the crank with the motor off. It required 175 hp to spin it 6,000 rpm. (That's not 100% from friction, but most all of it is)

[*]There was a stable 10 degree (+/- 1 deg) delta between the incoming coolant temp and the outgoing coolant temp at the higher rpm loads.

[*]Driveline loss: They measure a lot of things and the answer was between ~12% depending on what gear and what rpm

[*]One of the dyno test runs is to run the motor at 100% power for 8 hours - with glowing red exhaust

[*]Big valves with new angles: 52.8mm (2.078") intake and 40.5mm (1.59") exhaust

[*]Exhaust cam can change up to 40 deg. This will smooth the idle a lot - to much reduce mis fires and meet EPA needs- but allows for more aggressive profile in mid and upper power bands. Variable exhaust on allows increase in upper power band while a variable intake would increase low end tq.

[*]Massive flow rate increases as demonstrated by:

Gen 1 as a base
Gen 2 +17% over Gen 1
Gen 3 + 6% over Gen 2
Gen 4 +23% over a Gen 3

Add them all up and you see where a lot of the 400 hp to 600 hp is coming from

[*]Knock Sensors and Octane: There are 2 knock sensors. they back off the timing if needed. the ecu is calibrated for 91 octane. The ecu will only back off timing - it will not just advance it until it detects a ping so 100 octane will not give any power increase

[*]The piston/rod assembly is the unit from a 6.1 hemi. Floating pin now. Stronger and better than the Gen 3 unit. That is the reason for the 1mm bore increase

[*]74mm Throttle Bodies!

[*]A new oil filter that will also work on all Vipers. Less pressure drop and better filtration. Napa filter was the base but a relief valve was added specific for the Dodge brand unit.

[*]All metric bolts now

[*]They have tuned an 8.4 motor to put out 675hp/650tq with some performance parts

[/list]

There is a lot more for others to add. So what other details did you all pick up on? ............

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALL 100% TRUE !

Espetially pay attention to this :

The VCA has influence - The original goal was 560 hp. 600 hp was in large part due to SRT listening to VCA members and stepping up to the challenge.

Guys, Santa Clause lives in Detroit :)

We hope to see this 675hp Viper at VOI 10 !!!!!

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[*]Driveline loss: They measure a lot of things and the answer was between ~12% depending on what gear and what rpm

great post.....610 HP x .88 = ~537 rwhp? That would be strong!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA has influence - The original goal was 560 hp.

***600 hp was in large part due to SRT listening to VCA members and stepping up to the challenge. A 100 hp increase on an already impressive motor is fantastic. Thank you SRT!
I feel blessed. :smirk: I guess they didn't listen about the body styling. :evilmad:
Gen 1 motor = 50 hp per Liter
Gen 4 motor = 71 hp per Liter
As a comparison only (you did mention Z06 in your post).
Engine efficiency:
2008 Viper = 71 hp per liter
Current Z06 = 72 hp per liter
Ferrari 430 = 113 hp per liter

Curb weight:
2008 Viper = 3324 lbs **
Current Z06 = 3132 lbs
Ferrari 430 = 3196 lbs

Power/weight ratios:
2008 Viper = 0.18
Current Z06 = 0.16
Ferrari 430 = 0.15

** Not fact. Viper weight estimated from 2006 weight (3424 lbs) minus some 11gms/lifter and lighter wheels and tires = 100 lbs max.

[/QUOTE]

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also,
Let's not forget about SRT asking us for input on the new color combos. SRT asked the VCA if, with all their new color combinations, they should offer red with white stripes or the blue with white stripes. We suggested that with the VCA editions being offered as "exclusive color combo's" that by offering those combos again would only diminish the special nature of the limited cars already done. Their reaction was to cancel the red with white stripes and blue with white stripes for the '08 model year.

Yes, SRT is listening, and Yes, they are acting on what they hear from us.

DN

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA has influence - The original goal was 560 hp.

I feel blessed. :smirk: I guess they didn't listen about the body styling. :evilmad:

Yeah, I'm real broke up about that. Think I would rather have the power personally.

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari 430 = 3196 lbs

you might want to adjust your figures since the f430 is really about 3400lbs. That is why with 480hp it traps ~120 mph. Look at any mag test in which the car is put on a scale. I believe that "curb weight" to ferrari is really dry weight. Either that or they always knock 200lbs off the actual weight of their cars for fun.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of little consequence....they did mention that the fuel consumption will be significantly less than the Gen 3. We didn't hear any MPG numbers, but they were all smiles when they mentioned their findings.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"A new oil filter that will also work on all Vipers. Less pressure drop and better filtration. Napa filter was the base but a relief valve was added specific for the Dodge brand unit."

LOL ... is that why they gave all of us the old filters at the VOI9 in Vegas?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think those were the new design filters that they wanted to get out to Viper owners. What better way than at VOI

Can we get a confirmation one way or the other on that? It seems unlikely that they would be the new ones, as that would be giving out something that is new on the car that wasn't even discussed at VOI9.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure they did. But it was in 2002 when they got away from that old looking car. HA!
You got me on that but here's my comeback. One's an appreciating asset and the other is a depreciating asset. Answer: sdeifissalc eht ni kooL. :2tu:

BTW, I love the power increase.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
The oil filters given to us at VOI were the newest generation of filters for our cars. Better filtration, better spring / relief set up inside the filter, flows better too. Try one and see. Mopar Part number is 05037836AA.

I just changed the oil in my 06 coupe, installed the new filter from VOI 9 and the oil pressure went up with engine speed about 15 - 20 psi more than it did with the OE Wix filter. Same type and grade oil.

The new filter that will come with the 08 Viper will be the same filter as the one we got at VOI 9 but with a slightly different thread size.

Dan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The oil filters given to us at VOI were the newest generation of filters for our cars. Better filtration, better spring / relief set up inside the filter, flows better too. Try one and see. Mopar Part number is 05037836AA.

I just changed the oil in my 06 coupe, installed the new filter from VOI 9 and the oil pressure went up with engine speed about 15 - 20 psi more than it did with the OE Wix filter. Same type and grade oil.

The new filter that will come with the 08 Viper will be the same filter as the one we got at VOI 9 but with a slightly different thread size.

Dan

Did Dodge mention if this new filter is an absolute MUST on the 2008's? I dont think they can officially make it a "warranty killer" item, as it is a maintenance item. If its so important, how are they going to approach that? incentive or something?

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Dan

Did Dodge mention if this new filter is an absolute MUST on the 2008's? I dont think they can officially make it a "warranty killer" item, as it is a maintenance item. If its so important, how are they going to approach that? incentive or something?

Slightly different thread size. I guess that is how they are going to force you into using the new filter.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Dan

Slightly different thread size. I guess that is how they are going to force you into using the new filter.

If thats the case, then why was it just said above that the latest generation of filters screw onto an 06?

OP
OP
Marv S

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan, wouldn't an increase in psi be the result of a more restrictive filter?

Dan

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, wouldn't an increase in psi be the result of a more restrictive filter?

No, oil pressure is measured after the filter. The more restrictive the lower the gallery pressure.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of little consequence....they did mention that the fuel consumption will be significantly less than the Gen 3. We didn't hear any MPG numbers, but they were all smiles when they mentioned their findings.

I think you need a little sit down counseling session with Al Gore. Shame on your callousness to the planet

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan

Will that oil filter work on a GEN II?? 97 GTS?
I just ordered one..............

My parts guy sent me this:

I could get them for tomorrow. List is $11.20. It is actually the oil filter for the 8.3 in the 06 SRT-10 trucks.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan

If thats the case, then why was it just said above that the latest generation of filters screw onto an 06?

The filters given at VOI9 and the ones you can buy for 11.20, are the updated design, just not the same size as the ones on the 08, the ones from VOI WILL NOT fit the o8 Viper, but they will fit every Viper from 92 thru 06. I think what they were interested in doing was preventing anyone from putting an older style filter on the new motor.