428 rwhp 99 vrs 550 rwhp supra

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
* this was all done on a closed course with some lesser sports cars that got lapped*

My viper is a 99 rt10 with an air intake (smooth tubes) and no cats (straight pipes).....producing 428 rwhp and 473 rwt

My buddies supra is a 1000 rwhp beaste with 50 grand worth of modifications......

Out of sympathy he decided to run me on his lowest boost (18 psi) and on pump gas. At his lowest setting he is 550 rwhp.. ( stroked engine with racing heads and the works producing 300 HP at just the 3.4 engine)

(Now in all fairness to my self a few weeks ago he said his lowest boost setting was still 600-700 rwhp and that my weak 428 rwhp would have a chance ...but now after the race he says it was only 550ish) in his defense maybe on race gas it's still 600-700 rwhp on his lowest setting and 550 on pump gas......

Well we go at a 3 honk and I IMEDIATLY put 4-5 cars on him from the 70 mph roll hit..

I switch from second to third and hold my ground till we shut down at 125 mph with him 2-3 cars back..

He gives me the victory but says he started in third instead of 2nd...

fair enough but a wins a win...

We line up at 70 again and do the three beeps. Fairly confident that im gonna jump out on him i give him the jump..

see him move and im flooring it in second gear again. This time i put a good 2-3 cars on him and hold it their from 70-100 mph..Then around 100 mph he creeps up to me and by the time we shut down at 130 mph he has 2 cars on me..

well seems this time he started in second gear and I aknowledge his victory..

Then we slow back down to 55 mph for a final run. We both hit it simutaneosly and I once again put a few cars on him from 55-100 mph..But around 100 mph he's coming up at a good clip and puts two -three cars on me. But then he shifts gears and I come back up to within a car length of him..

At this time were doing 140-150 mph ( im nt sure beacuse i was well in two the 4500 rpm range of fourth gear, and lesser sports cars were aproaching fast..

so we both let off with him a car ahead but seeming as if i was about to over take him...

So we agreed to throw that race away and just say it was one to one...

Well this viper never ceases to amaze me. what i dont have in huge peak rwhp I do have in power under the curve an tourque that could seriously jump out a car or two against just about anything that has similar rwhp...

I give my friend lots of props for finally seeming like he's learning to drive that beaste. it's been an uphill battle for him but last night he was in the right gears and right rpm's and brake boosting with the best of them ( hey I know that all sounds elementary but when you ave 550 rwhp from a spooling turbo im sure it is quite a skill to master and take full advantage of verses me just hitting the throttle at any time in any rpm and having around 500 rwt at only 4000 rpm's...

Oh... for what it's worth to any non viper guys who are reading this post. A gen 2 viper with air intake and no cats like on mine usually run around 11.8 at 120 mph on regular street tires in the 1/4 mile..

i have no dea what the average regular street tire 550 rwhp supra runs.

But i know from a 70 mph roll these two are a great race!!!!!!!!!

* this was all done on a closed course with some lesser sports cars that got lapped*

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starting speed, gearing and what gear you start out in, play a huge role in a roll on race. Your story does not seem out of line to me.

When cars have different gearing, each car has a starting advantage depending on what speed you start at. The gearing advantage can easily make up for a 50 to 80 hp deficiency in a roll on race.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your friend is full of it.

While it is not uncomon to put a few cars on a turbo car because of the turbo lag, it is comon to see that same car blow past you in a few seconds if it makes much more power than you.

Your cars are similar in weight, so there is no reason why his supra with all that power shouldnt have pulled on you and passed you very quickly. Unless it just does not make the type of power he claims, which is very common in the supra world. Internet dyno racing around those parts is nothing but wishfull thinking.

Next time you go to a dyno have your friend go with you, and you will be surprised how his 1000hp beast turns into an excuse making teddy.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use to race supra's. He needs to build up the boost by "brake boosting" and you would never jump. weight is the same for both cars and he is 100 plus hp and trq so he should take you from the start.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend has a 569HP supra, it WILL blow the 400HP stock Viper into weeds.
It also does low 11's on 1/4 mile. There is no way Viper will win. Not even in good dreams and imagination... Sorry. (Assuming both drivers know how to start a car and drive it...)
The Supra owner did get a nosebleed from a 150 shot NX Viper, the viper had at that point 629 dynoed HP. That was ED's Yellow banana from Harrisburg.

whiteghoztt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good runs! Sounds like he's a bit confused on where his car stands though hp-wise. :2tu:

OP
OP
A

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just depends on the supra set up.

My friends Supra is set up for huge power. Actually 1009 rwhp as confirmed on a dyno jet..

But on his lowest boost setting the lag from the huge turbos is very evident.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
weight is the same for both cars

Not really, the Viper is about 250lbs lighter.

I can see this outcome. Lag will get beat everytime by instant torque from the start but the higher power car will start to reel you in once it gets moving.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
weight is the same for both cars

Not really, the Viper is about 250lbs lighter.

The weight is not much of a factor as the Viper is at most 100lbs lighter. I have weighed them both on the same scale on the same day.

As for the pulls it sounds like he pulled 2 cars on you every time aside from when he was in the wrong gear. To have you jump out due to torque and him still end up 2 cars ahead is pretty impressive. It sounds like 100wheel to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper