HELP! Battery Drain from Alarm Light on door lock switch

Premier Sportscars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is driving me crazy! I have an 01 Viper GTS after I shut off the ignition and exit the car the lights on the door locks do not go off. I know the timer is set for 30 seconds and the light should go off but it does not. I have replaced the brain under the passenger seat and this did nothing. I pulled about both doors and found two cut wires but repairing them did nothing else! Anybody out there with the same issue???? My battery goes dead unless I lock the doors all the time.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an issue with the power door lock module draining the battery. I was told the part was $100.00, but after it arrived they found out it was the wrong part and the correct part (after Viper tax, not including labor) was $308.00. I could drive the car to charge the battery, but by the next morning it was dead. After the power door lock module was replaced I have yet to have a problem with the electrical system. I believe the light in the door is an LED light, so I wouldn't think it would draw that much of a current.

I think I procrastinated a little too long and just got a battery tender hoping that would fix the problem. All it really did was ruin my battery by discharging and charging it so much. I would suggest taking it to a Viper Tech unless you really know what you're doing. Good luck.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is driving me crazy! I have an 01 Viper GTS after I shut off the ignition and exit the car the lights on the door locks do not go off. I know the timer is set for 30 seconds and the light should go off but it does not. I have replaced the brain under the passenger seat and this did nothing. I pulled about both doors and found two cut wires but repairing them did nothing else! Anybody out there with the same issue???? My battery goes dead unless I lock the doors all the time.

Do you by any chance pop the hood to let the heat out after a run? If you do , close it. A friend of mine use to pop the hood after a run and had the same problem until we figured out the hood switch is tied into the inside lock lights. He had a 96GTS and I have a 99GTS and it does the same thing.

OP
OP
P

Premier Sportscars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you by any chance pop the hood to let the heat out after a run? If you do , close it. A friend of mine use to pop the hood after a run and had the same problem until we figured out the hood switch is tied into the inside lock lights. He had a 96GTS and I have a 99GTS and it does the same thing.

I don't leave the hood popped and the obvious quick fix is to lock the car each time I get out of it but when I have it in my garage I leave the windows down and like to leave it unlocked to get in and out of it easier. I wouldn't think the LED's would drain the battery much but after two days it does unless I leave it on a trickle charger or lock the doors. I hate to be anal but want to make sure everything works fine. Want to fix it too because last car show I didn't leave any lights on but didn't lock the doors and had to get a jump!

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd put an inductive ammeter on the car and then watch the draw... even if the door module was staying awake while parked it should never pull enough current to draw down a healthy battery during a car show.

What you then do is start pulling fuses one at a time until you find the circuit that is staying alive while parked, and that will lead you to the culprit. Ignition off draw with interior lights off should be under 20ma... if you see like 200ma, that would be enough to drain the battery in about 3 days... more than that would be even quicker of course.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235