Garage Lighting

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need some advice from those of you who have had the chance to 'properly' light your garage.

I just bought a new house with a two car garage in the basement. The ceiling is dry-walled but not finished and the square footage is decent for a two-car; about 750 sq. ft. Right now there are four regular flourescent bulbs, two on each side each about 1/3rd of the way centered (if that makes sense).

Since the roof is not finished I can rewire and install lighting as needed. What's the best type of lighting for a garage? I doubt it matters, but my 01 is yellow and the garage will be used for working on and detailing the car.

Opinions? Experiences?

Thx
Dave

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, this may sound crazy but I have a 1300 sq fft garage and I took out all the light bulb fixtures and replaced with 4 outlet (plug ins) in each one, then bought the $12.00 4 ft fixtures True value and Lowes sells. I hang each on short chains and then they have an extension cord. That way if a ballast burns out I can toss the fixture and hang a new one. I have about 35 of them in my garage. And lots !!! of light. It looks like a paint booth.

Reaction score
I use 18 8' florsecent bulbs(nine two bulb fixtures).

Look at the last several pictures from this link -http://norcal.viperclub.org/gallery/04262005LiftEvent/index.html

Over the work bench I also have high intensity lights.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use fluorescents also. Since you live up north, be aware that the electronic ballasts (as opposed to the magnetic ballasts) are recommended for temperatures below 50. The T-12s are harder to start in cold temps. Also, the T-8 bulbs are more energy efficient.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garage is a 3 car, about 900 s.f., 12 foot ceilings. I have six 8' fixtures, 2 per bay with 120 watt bulbs. Plenty of light...its so bright you can see it from space at night. :D

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fluorescents will show virtually every imperfection - which makes it good for detailing. A portable fluorescent at ground level is also a good idea when detailing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper