What do you think a 90 mile GTS-R is worth ? now and in 20 years?

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm always looking to invest and would love to have a GTS-R in my garage . One with under a hundred miles . That I would keep for future sale. If I bought one, I wouldn't feel like I need to keep mine as a garage queen . Or feel bad about getting rid of it, on a new 2008 .

What do you guys think current market value is on a 98 GTS-R with only 90 miles on it ? What do you think it would be worth in 20 years . Thanks for all comments and opinions .

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlike the old Hemi cars (that people really drove and raced), most of the GT-2's are sitting in a heated garage with a cover and waiting the right time to sale. You and about 70 other GT-2 owners.

All vipers will all have a great resale value in the future, but I don't think it's going to be like having a 1 of 11 Hemi '71 Hemi conv.

Looking to make money, don't buy a car. If you love cars... BUY A VIPER, drive it, enjoy it, and meet lots of other great people.... die happy. To many better ways to make lots of money.

Just my 2 pennies.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
listing for sale for big dollars and actually selling fro big dollars are 2 different things, very few GT2's have sold for big dollars, and those have been significant # cars, #1, #100, #51, #52, #53 that is it, # 92 sold recently with 1100 miles on it for 89K or there abouts, There are lots of GT2's for sale fro 100+ - 135K and they will still be for sale for a while. I know because I had # 70 sold it for less than a 100K and had #1 and sold it for $165K

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#92 was a great deal. Wish I knew about that one. Might have acutally had to pull some strings to get that!!

#1 was a good deal for you too! Not to shabby.

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
listing for sale for big dollars and actually selling fro big dollars are 2 different things, very few GT2's have sold for big dollars, and those have been significant # cars, #1, #100, #51, #52, #53 that is it, # 92 sold recently with 1100 miles on it for 89K or there abouts, There are lots of GT2's for sale fro 100+ - 135K and they will still be for sale for a while. I know because I had # 70 sold it for less than a 100K and had #1 and sold it for $165K

That #92 car was a fluke with a guy that had no idea what the market was on it. He had it sold within a day of listing it. That car is not the norm. A 1100 mile car is worth $100k plus easily.

There is quite a demand for these cars, especially lately. If you can get anything with under 5k miles for under $100k, buy it.

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the question, but paid $101K for mine back in '99 and glad I did it. Nathan's dad found it for me. Had 600 miles on it. Certainly are better places to put your money, but I'm keeping it. Now has 900 miles on it. Always wanted to keep one of those cars that you said, "Wish I still had it......" I guess it's my one piece of art, well that and my new 1990 Harley Fatboy. I think in the next 10 years low mileage ones, yeah I know there are alot of them, will be worth $150K, but only time will tell. 20 years, heck 10 years is a s.w.a.g. for me.

I do believe a 16,000 miles one just sold for just north of $115K.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the question, but paid $101K for mine back in '99 and glad I did it. Nathan's dad found it for me. Had 600 miles on it. Certainly are better places to put your money, but I'm keeping it. Now has 900 miles on it. Always wanted to keep one of those cars that you said, "Wish I still had it......" I guess it's my one piece of art, well that and my new 1990 Harley Fatboy. I think in the next 10 years low mileage ones, yeah I know there are alot of them, will be worth $150K, but only time will tell. 20 years, heck 10 years is a s.w.a.g. for me.

You may be right but in 10 years a new Corvette will probably go for 110k also. Buy it because you enjoy it. As a lot of peole have said cars are a lousy investment. That being said I am buying my Viper because they sem to hold there value better than most cars but not as an investment. Well, that is one of the reasons I chose a Viper.

If you want an investment sell it now and buy property or stocks.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlike the old Hemi cars (that people really drove and raced), most of the GT-2's are sitting in a heated garage with a cover and waiting the right time to sale. You and about 70 other GT-2 owners.

All vipers will all have a great resale value in the future, but I don't think it's going to be like having a 1 of 11 Hemi '71 Hemi conv.

Looking to make money, don't buy a car. If you love cars... BUY A VIPER, drive it, enjoy it, and meet lots of other great people.... die happy. To many better ways to make lots of money.

Just my 2 pennies.

I totally agree with the statement above. The most valuable collectable's don't start out as being collectable. They get used, played with, circulated, etc. The few nice examples that remain garner the value.

I'm in the camp that says Vipers, especially Gen I/II cars will do well in the future, but how well? Many low mile examples out there. While we're on the subject, how many Ford GT's do you think are out there with less than a 1,000 miles on them. I'll bet something close to 3,500 of the 4,500 produced.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The crowd with money falling out of their a$$e$ will always need a medium to move their wealth around with.
In the sixties, rare stamps and gold were big. In the seventies they managed to wrangle all the old masters paintings out of regular people's clutches.

In the eighties they swarmed on euro-vintage and exotics cars, and kept them out of the people's reach that would have enjoyed them.
Now they've moved off of that somewhat and are trying to kill it for old muscle car enthusiasts. Did you used to like Shelby Mustangs in the sixties? You're out of luck now. They've all be hoarded away thank you very much, and they used to be plentyfull.

I hope that Mr.Moneybags get sweet on your GTS-R after you die Viperacr.

That's my $.02 worth.
Jerry.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think current market value is on a 98 GTS-R with only 90 miles on it ? What do you think it would be worth in 20 years . Thanks for all comments and opinions.
If you are looking for a low mileage car for investment purposes, then let me point out the value of 80K in 20 years at 5% and 10% return rate compounded monthly.
80K @ 5% for 20 years = 217K
80K @ 10% for 20 years = 586K

Do you think the GTS-R will fall in that range? If you are looking for alternate investments, that might be ok. Note that future market value is subjective and unpredictable. Also, factor in your maintenance costs in terms of storage, heating, insurance, etc.

I would take CODY's recommendation.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IT SOLD FOR 90 OR SO, THE ASKING PRICE WAS 95

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great viper to get would be a 1997 Blue and White RT/10. Half as many as the GT2's. It wasn't known at the time that they would be the only year that a Blue and White RT/10 was built. Most were driven right from the start. Try finding a low miles one now. They already have dried up.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points here.

Of all the Hemi cars I bought and sold none were pristine garage queens. Hemis had oiling issues and were prone to spun bearings. Since they were expensive to fix and highly desired by racers the engines were sold and replaced with a lesser one. Hopefully not a slant 6. :eek:

As a result very few authentic matching number Hemi cars remain, especially 4speed cars.

I consider cars a hobby and if I can at least recover the dollars invested when moving on to something else, thats a good thing. :2tu:

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You may be right but in 10 years a new Corvette will probably go for 110k also. Buy it because you enjoy it. As a lot of peole have said cars are a lousy investment. That being said I am buying my Viper because they sem to hold there value better than most cars but not as an investment. Well, that is one of the reasons I chose a Viper.

If you want an investment sell it now and buy property or stocks.

Exactly! Mine with 900 miles is a ridiculous use of money. At a minimum I could have a simple 5% cd making money. I simply enjoy having the car and have my 96gts as a driver. :)

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great viper to get would be a 1997 Blue and White RT/10. Half as many as the GT2's. It wasn't known at the time that they would be the only year that a Blue and White RT/10 was built. Most were driven right from the start. Try finding a low miles one now. They already have dried up.

I agree to a point, but I would rather have a GT2. I know pleanty of Viper guys that don't like RT's, while I doubt any Viper guy would not want a GT2. The GT2 is the Viper to have hands down.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well while mine is my pride and joy I do intend to 'Drive it like I stole it' just not as hard as the SRT It is really the only 'Special Viper' it is Dodge proud of three Le Mans wins, FIA Champion and the only one factory equiped with all the right bits, splitters, skirts wings, racing wheels and a custom interior.

I bet in 10 years time the GTS/R will become a Cobra, god when I was a kid you could buy a Cobra in the UK for less than peanuts......now.

Yes to buy it but classics with no history and no patina or period accessories often make worse money than well maintained and cared for examples, guess I am just very lucky to own # 52 which for me is the ultimate being the race number for the Le Mans and FIA winners and its one previous owner was Justin Bell who drove the race car, however, #1 and 100 must be very significant.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Investing in a car today - any car - is a very bad long term
investment idea. With science looking into hydrogen and other
alternative fuels there is a really good chance in ten years that
gasoline might no longer be produced. 25 years is may even be
illegal. With the anti-auto-leftist still putting pressure on the
governement to mandate walking where ever you go its also likely
that old cars might become the products of mueseums - grocery
store parking lot car shows a thing of urban legend. When it becomes
illegal to drive them, or immpossible because of lack of fuel,
those million dollar hemis we're seeing today will become
recycled scrap tomorrow. Think about it, very, very few people
will pay good money for a block-ice refrigerator today.

When you buy a car today just drive it and have fun. If its worth
a million tomorrow - bonus! If not, you haven't lost a cent. But
if store it in the hopes of it being worth a million in the future
you might end up be disappointed on both ends.

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Investing in a car today - any car - is a very bad long term
investment idea. With science looking into hydrogen and other
alternative fuels there is a really good chance in ten years that
gasoline might no longer be produced. 25 years is may even be
illegal. With the anti-auto-leftist still putting pressure on the
governement to mandate walking where ever you go its also likely
that old cars might become the products of mueseums - grocery
store parking lot car shows a thing of urban legend. When it becomes
illegal to drive them, or immpossible because of lack of fuel,
those million dollar hemis we're seeing today will become
recycled scrap tomorrow. Think about it, very, very few people
will pay good money for a block-ice refrigerator today.

When you buy a car today just drive it and have fun. If its worth
a million tomorrow - bonus! If not, you haven't lost a cent. But
if store it in the hopes of it being worth a million in the future
you might end up be disappointed on both ends.

I would have to disagree that It is a bad investment . Some like to have stocks or property But I would rather have a Viper in the garage . One to drive and one that stays prestine and will appreciate. As soon as someone says how they would like to have one to keep with low miles thier speaking blasphemy. I will still have one to drive and enjoy.

Most would agree that long term Vipers will appreciate, also when asked most agree that a GTS-R will appreciate above most others . Not many want to buy a high mileage Viper. I'm sure thier will be some of us that would love to have a low mileage Generation 2 Viper down the road , especially a GTS-R. After all our Vipers worn out and beat up down the road . I will still want to have a new GTS and they don't make them any more .

In 25 years being illegal .... I don't think so . We still have enough oil to last a hundred years . We might have tighter emission laws but we will still have cars on our roads . And if nobody wants thier cars in 20 years cause they aren't worth anything . Call me I will buy them . Some like paintings on the wall , Sculptures in the hall . I love Vipers

Didn't say I wanted to make a million . But If you think I would lose money on it, I think your wrong .

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well while mine is my pride and joy I do intend to 'Drive it like I stole it' just not as hard as the SRT It is really the only 'Special Viper' it is Dodge proud of three Le Mans wins, FIA Champion and the only one factory equiped with all the right bits, splitters, skirts wings, racing wheels and a custom interior.

I bet in 10 years time the GTS/R will become a Cobra, god when I was a kid you could buy a Cobra in the UK for less than peanuts......now.

A close friend was a Service Writer at a Ford Dealership near Allentown PA. This was in the mid 60s when Lee Iacocca was the district sales manager. Ford had a few brand new 427 AC Cobras they could not get rid of.

He could have bought one for $5K!!

However that is what he recently paid for his house!

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw someone work up the numbers on an AC Cobra once. By the time you figure in inflation, cost of storage, insurance, maintenance, etc., the rate of return isn't nearly as good as you might think it would be for your $5000 / 30 year investment. For instance, if you have a $5000 investment and put in another $100/mo (perhaps what you spend for insurance, storage, maintenance, etc) at a 10% rate of return, that is $325,000 in 30 years.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most new cars don't make great investments unless you drive them and factor the intangible pleasure of driving. Putting in 100 miles a year for a theoretically collectible car makes sense only if it is an alternate investment. That means you have 95+% of your investment somewhere else.

So would I like to buy and store a 98 GT-R? Absolulety not! But if I were to buy one (and I almost did in 1998), I'd drive it as often as my GTS.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you would "Rather" have and what is a "good" investment are two totally different things. No matter how much someone wants a viper, it does not make it a good investment. Property or Stocks can give you a return each and every month, vipers will cost you money each and every month.

You most likely will not get hurt financially buying a viper now or in the future, but buy it because you love the car, the people you meet and the overall experience that comes with being a viper owner.... which as you all ready know is a great feeling. :2tu:

BTW, do you live in an area that charges sales tax?

Some like to have stocks or property But I would rather have a Viper in the garage .

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you would "Rather" have and what is a "good" investment are two totally different things. No matter how much someone wants a viper, it does not make it a good investment. Property or Stocks can give you a return each and every month, vipers will cost you money each and every month.

You most likely will not get hurt financially buying a viper now or in the future, but buy it because you love the car, the people you meet and the overall experience that comes with being a viper owner.... which as you all ready know is a great feeling. :2tu:

BTW, do you live in an area that charges sales tax?

I do live in an area with sales tax.

Stocks aren't a sure thing . I know a lot of people that have lost a bunch of money in stocks . If you put your money in no risk mutual funds you will be safe . But you won't make a lot of money on them.

Here in Alberta its not great for property investing either. Their has been a lot of economic booming for the last few years. Which has created a great sellers market but not great for buyers .

Now I'm not saying that cars are a better investment than either of those , because I know there not . But I would have to say for me ,if I was to hold one to make money on later and maybe drive once and awhile . Its a lot less hassle than property , and more fun then money in the bank . But each to thier own .

I wasn't asking anyone if it would be a better investment than stocks or property . The majority of first time buisness owners fail. And I dont know of any high return risk free investments .(not saying a car is one of them) But if you guys have so many easy, risk free ways to make money let me in on them .

But If a guy was to have a rare , valuable car. Keep it , enjoy it and take good care of it. . Maybe turn a small profit on it later in life . I don't see why thats such a bad thing .

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think some were thrown off by your original words of always looking for an investment......

Seems to me in this case your investment refers to owning a fairly unique and highly desirable car that at any point in the future will be worth at least as much, or more than you originally paid. Without factoring in inflation, that is certainly the case with a GT2 and I say go for it. Big thing initially is how much you have to pay. Pay between $100K-$115K US dollars and I say go for it, enjoy it and certainly sell it some year for more than that.

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think some were thrown off by your original words of always looking for an investment......

Seems to me in this case your investment refers to owning a fairly unique and highly desirable car that at any point in the future will be worth at least as much, or more than you originally paid. Without factoring in inflation, that is certainly the case with a GT2 and I say go for it. Big thing initially is how much you have to pay. Pay between $100K-$115K US dollars and I say go for it, enjoy it and certainly sell it some year for more than that.

I will pay you $110 for your gt2,

in?

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a car or three as an alternative investment in your portfolio makes sense to me.

Having a car or three that you could occasionally drive and enjoy with the mindset that you could break-even or make a few bucks in the future also makes sense to me.

Betting your retirement on a few cars to appreciate enough to carry you into your golden years is a VERY high risk idea. My condolences to the guy who bet his future finances on "investing" in a collection of Ferrari's in the late 80's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456