Accurate weights for Gen II Vipers

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have always appreciated the other forum users sharing Viper info, so here is my contribution. The following are the weights of my Vipers using our race scales. All cars are 100% stock, with spare tire, jack, etc. Full of fuel, with no driver.

1996 GTS LF 829 Total Weight: 3,440 lbs.
RF 846 Total Weight less Fuel: 3,327 lbs.
LR 909
RR 856

2001 ACR LF 866 Total Weight: 3,466 lbs.
RF 802 Total Weght less Fuel: 3,355 lbs.
LR 892
RR 906 (Since the ACR has adjustable spring perches, the
cross weights could be improved a little bit.)

2005 SRT LF 863 Total Weight: 3,429 lbs.
RF 830 Total Weight less Fuel: 3,318 lbs.
LR 870
RR 866

Tripple-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since the "weight issue" is a pretty important one for me, I think this is a good thread to place my questions:

1. Is there an good place to get a complete "Carbon-fiber-hood"?

2. Has anyone ever realy compared the COMPLETE WEIGHT of a "ready to mount" CF-Hood to the OE-Hood?

I have a 2000 GTS.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh! This is my first post on this truly GREAT Forum that helped me a lot in the last few years by just reading the posts (and thereby learning) of you fellows out there! Thanks!

Edi
Switzerland

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the "weight issue" is a pretty important one for me, I think this is a good thread to place my questions:

1. Is there an good place to get a complete "Carbon-fiber-hood"?

2. Has anyone ever realy compared the COMPLETE WEIGHT of a "ready to mount" CF-Hood to the OE-Hood?

I have a 2000 GTS.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh! This is my first post on this truly GREAT Forum that helped me a lot in the last few years by just reading the posts (and thereby learning) of you fellows out there! Thanks!

Edi
Switzerland

Try SVS: http://www.svspower.com/catalog.aspx?nav=3&catid=207

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Tripple-V.

Awesome post DWR46. Looks like the Viper has not lost much weight in 10 years but it is more balanced from left to right and front to back.

I'll just repaste your mail since it looks a bit scrambled.

1996 GTS
LF 829
RF 846
LR 909
RR 856
Total Weight: 3,440 lbs.
Total Weight less Fuel: 3,327 lbs.

2001 ACR
LF 866
RF 802
LR 892
RR 906
Total Weight: 3,466 lbs.
Total Weght less Fuel: 3,355 lbs.

2005 SRT
LF 863
RF 830
LR 870
RR 866
Total Weight: 3,429 lbs.
Total Weight less Fuel: 3,318 lbs.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is good info. When I measured the addition of the driver this is what happened:

1994 RT
LF +64
RF +8
LR +72
RR +20

Most of the driver's weight (duh) ends up on the left side. Most of the driver's weight ends up in the rear. That makes the RF lighter - and why the RF usually locks first.

(I don't have the pre-lowered numbers or I would have posted those. This just tells you what happens when you get in.)

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is good info. When I measured the addition of the driver this is what happened:

1994 RT
LF +64
RF +8
LR +72
RR +20

Most of the driver's weight (duh) ends up on the left side. Most of the driver's weight ends up in the rear. That makes the RF lighter - and why the RF usually locks first.

Yet, a Gen 1's RF doesn't usually lock up, as compared to a Gen II. At least, I never had any problem with the RF of my '95 locking up. I was under the impression that the left side weight bias really showed up with the Gen II, and not in the Gen I. Of course, your '94 might just have a light RF, due to your suspension settings.

OP
OP
D

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks AviP for cleaning up my post. If you are interested in the weights with a DRIVER, here they are:

1996 GTS
LF 881
RF 845
LR 986
RR 898
Total Weight: 3,610 lbs.
Total Weight less Fuel: 3,327 lbs.

2001 ACR
LF 914
RF 807
LR 977
RR 945
Total Weight: 3,643 lbs.
Total Weght less Fuel: 3,355 lbs.

I did not weigh the SRT with a driver, so I have no data for this car. Also, I did not recalculate the "weight less Fuel" for the cars with a driver, because if your have a driver you better have some fuel.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:)
I have over 90 customers, most of which start their diagnosis with "the right front locks up." I haven't noticed a difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 owners.

The 2001 ACR (with adjustable ride height!!) LF is 107 lbs more than RF. Wow. Jack that thing up in the LR or RF. In fooling with corner weights, I thought it was worthwhile trying to get the fronts within 30 lbs when the car was all loaded up.

Yes, the rears will then be different. But from experience that doesn't matter much under braking and under accel doesn't show up either.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have over 90 customers, most of which start their diagnosis with "the right front locks up." I haven't noticed a difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 owners.
Interesting... I'm frankly surprised to hear of your counter experience.

I'd originally heard this from Ted May (Northern CA Viper tuner who has a few hundred Viper customers :cool: ), who mentioned to me back in the 1998 timeframe that the corner weighting was significantly different between stock Gen I and Gen II's, and, that this was the likely cause between the tendency of Gen II's FR to lock up, and Gen I's to not.

All I can personally attest to is that my 95 RT's FR did not show any tendency to lock up any more then the FL, nor did any of my co-competitors with Gen I's ever mention anything similar. Yet, most of the '96 GTS and '97 owners complained quite loudly about it, and had the flat-spotted tires to prove it.

But, in the end, I'll defer to your greater first hand experience than mine. Ted's experience and opinion could have changed in the mean time, also.