Several questions from a "new" 2002 RT10 owner in Maryland

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Several questions from a \"new\" 2002 RT10 owner in Maryland

Please excuse my ignorance, you've probably read these type questions before.

1. I am the 3rd owner, red with the Cognac interior package, 6,356 orig. miles. The previous owner may have traveled a gravel road a time or two, but I've discovered the smallest of pebbles lodged between the driver and passenger side doors and the front wheels. They are evident when you raise the hood, and are located on the flat between the fiberglass on the lower body panel and the sill corners. There are some pebbles under the fiberglass flat as well. I have removed the two bolts on either side to loosen the fiberglass/plastic and have vacuumed a few out, but want to know if anyone has any advice. I'd like to maintain this area pebble free.

2. Unless someone has a better idea I was going to ask the local after-market paint store to mix a batch of the 2002 red, as the local dealer advised that it has been discontinued.

Thanks in advance.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Several questions from a \"new\" 2002 RT10 owner in Maryland

1. You cannot stop small pebbles from getting in the sill/underhood area. Just clean in periodically and it will be fine.

2. Not sure about the Red, but stick with Sikkens or PPG paint.

Oh..and welcome. Let me be the first to invite you to attend a locat club event. We have some Go-kart racining happening next weekend, and after tomorrow when the officers meet, we should have the rest of the year ironed out.

OP
OP
R

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score

John,

Thanks. Are the sills easily removed. I'd like to clean them out completely. I think I have some pebbles resting between the passenger-side plastic/fiberglass and the sill itself. Saw a post that I think referred to the rivot nuts and necessary tool at www.rivotsinstock.com; and button screws and lock washers at www.marshfasteners.com. Thanks for the response.

Where is the Go-Kart track?

Scott

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott, good talking to you this afternoon. I got your email with the vin and I put it in your profile and updated your title but make sure you email me your address, phone and email. We will be sending out an email at the beginning of the week re events and we would like to have you on the list.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

John,

Thanks. Are the sills easily removed. I'd like to clean them out completely. I think I have some pebbles resting between the passenger-side plastic/fiberglass and the sill itself. Saw a post that I think referred to the rivot nuts and necessary tool at www.rivotsinstock.com; and button screws and lock washers at www.marshfasteners.com. Thanks for the response.

Where is the Go-Kart track?

Scott

As long as your car is un-fooled-arround-with, the side sills unscrew very simply. several screws under the sill, and some more in the door jamb area under the black screw covers. It is very simple and can be done in just a few minutes.

I can't believe that the touch up paint is no longer available??? Red??? Same red for all Vipers is not available at the dealer? Check with the sponsors here. Parts Rack (jon) will become a valuable resource.

Welcome!

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Make sure when you close the hood you put your hands on the hood directly over the point where the hinges meet the hood. If you close the hood from the front you can crack the hood.

Welcome, I have the same 2002 red RT, except with blk interior.

Make sure the car is going in a straight line before you gas it hard, these cars are famous for spinning if you gas it while turning.

I got touch up paint from the dealer.

Now you need to post a picture of her!

Andy

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Scott,
Greetings and welcome, I see you are already heading in the right direction by talking to Lee (Awesome President) and I hope you were filled in with some of the warnings of this weather and the potential of your hardened tires. What part of MD are you in? I'm just a little North of Bel Air and about 45 minuets North of Baltimore. I have my side sills off at the moment and other projects going on that you might want to see (depending on how much you plan on modifying your Viper) if you are close enough to stop by. I have a 02 RT/10 (Yellow) as well and have had it completely apart and back together. Body and drive train. I know the weather is nice but please be careful if this is the first Viper you have owned they have a tendency of “Snakebiting” new owners that are not used to them. Again welcome and get ready to have a lot of fun! :2tu:
Kevin Knight
410-808-3209
2860 Dublin Rd
Street, MD 21154

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I also have a paint shop next door that would be able to mix your red.

OP
OP
R

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score

KV,

Thanks. I may take you up on that if I can't do it locally (St. Mary's County). Have a great weekend.

Scott :)

OP
OP
R

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score

AJT,

Thanks for the response. Will do ref hand placement when closing. Should be just inside the vents on either side of the hood. I'll snap a few pics :) tomorrow with my wife's camera.

v/r

Scott

OP
OP
R

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Kevin,

I had laser surgery performed in Bel Air 4-years ago. That town is approx. 2 1/2 hours North. I'm on the Western side of the Bay. My sills appear to be ok, just a few minor abrasions on the underside. Call me crazy, I couldn't stand the thought of gravel inside them, especially since I did not put it there. :) If I'm in the area, I'll call. Would love to see your ride.

v/r

Scott :)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott, latest list just came so I updated your title again to VCA member and put your VCA number is in your profile. You will now be able to post in events forum and view and post in VCA Members forum, it is at the bottom of the first section of forums.

OP
OP
R

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Lee,

Thanks for all of the help. Both sills are now off for clean-up; and also leather conditioning your favorite interior today. Thanks again.

Scott

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott, welcome to the VCA especially the Va-Md Chapter. I hope that I will see you at a few events this year. The members of this club are great guys and you will definitely enjoy yourself. If there is anything that I can do for you, let me know, I live in Bowie.

OP
OP
R

RTScott

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Mike,

Thanks. Beautiful car! Didn't know you could sit any lower (your seat lowering kit). Feel like I'm in a Go-Kart already. Ditto on doing anything for you. Thanks again. :)

Scott