replacement outer weather stripping

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've known for months now that my passenger door outer weather stripping is cracked. I've been waiting for summer to replace. The other day, I noticed the driverside stripping is completely gone! I am referring to the hard plastic strip on the outside of the door that is on the upper black part of the door (between window and upper back black part).

I am assuming this is a pretty easy fix. Anyone know where I can buy replacements? Anyone know of a thread with instructions on it? I searched, but came up empty handed.

Thanks guys! :2tu:

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe that the crack you are talking about is not really a crack but where the seam was joined together with glue. The glue wears out and it leaves this horrible looking crack. I also have this problem and would like a easy fix. If I am mistaken please let me know.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dito Same problem buy I was told that the hole black part need to be replaced as it is all one piece.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worse, on early GENII Vipers, Dodge requires that you buy a new side window that is slightly smaller as the travel of the window slightly exceeds the weatherstrip length.

If you catch it early it can be easily repaired but by the sounds of it perhaps it's too late. A search will show you how I fixed mine years ago and it's still holding.

No aftermarket solutions yet, but a great opportunity for someone.

Chuck Tator or Jon B I'm sure could help outline what's possible and what it would cost.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That black strip that runs up the outside of the window stanchion is the WORST design EVER! That strip is rigid, it's not straight like the stantion is, and I can't get it to re-attach. My drivers side strip is hanging on by the little plastic piece that wraps over the top of the stantion. I will be looking for a different solution for this rather than using that rigid strip. The big issues is that the OEM strip runs down the inside of the door to guide the rear of the window when it's down inside the door....ARGH!!!

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had the same problem with the driver side door weather stripping. I was able to order the replacement part from local Dodge dealer for about $250. The weather stripping is obviously different for the RT/10 and the GTS. Replacement involves removal of the weather stripping hold down piece that is part of the windshield surround and then removal of the old weather stripping from the flange that it fits into. When replacing, it is recommended to put a little adhesive on the new rubber piece so it will stay in place on the flange.
Pavenom

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you ready for this one?

Outer stanchion cover:
96-02 GTS
Right #ME68JX8AB MSRP $254.00
Left #ME69JX8AB MSRP $257.00

97-02 RT/10
Right #QB96JX8AF MSRP $315.00
Left #QB97JX8AF MSRP $354.00

Less 20% VCA :cool:
914-763-3136

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 years ago my weather stripping came off the stanchion. I found a great glue which can fix it. I have tried over 10 type of glue. I found one which suits perfectly for this type of plastic. I will try to find the brand of this glue.

Make a search on "stanchion".

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I've also been considering options of what can be done. Mine has been re-glued once a few years ago, but has come apart again. I'd pay for those replacements that Viper Wizard quoted before I'd replace any windows.

Schulmann, if you come up with a name of that glue, let me know.

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Outer stanchion cover:
96-02 GTS

97-02 RT/10

914-763-3136

What type of adhesive do you recommend using?

Is the install easy to make it look stock again (I assume so, but I had to ask)?

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Outer stanchion cover:
96-02 GTS

97-02 RT/10

914-763-3136

What type of adhesive do you recommend using?

Is the install easy to make it look stock again (I assume so, but I had to ask)?

Chuck?

Looks like this thread got a little buried.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth