Hi Lads, new member introduction!

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been trying to get verified for over a month and finally did thanks to Lee Stubberfield. Apparantly AOL users may be having difficulty so let this post serve as a note to try using a different service to register and as a hello post!

I have been a Viper fan ever since i was a young(er) kid ( I am 23) and had a model of a blue with white stripe GTS which IIRC was a 96 model (i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong)! I am not one of these idiots that goes and buys a vehicle after graduating and having nothing to my name - my father and i have bought a few properties together and am financially secure to which i am extremely grateful.

I am from London originally and have been living in LA for the last 3 years. I have had a Mustang GT Vert while i was in college out here and loved it (although it was a little messed up due to an accident which i didn't know about as i bought it pre-owned).

Anyway, i currently drive a Honda S2K and am looking to graduate up to (here we go again) a Viper or Corvette Z06.

Now i am in no way going to come here and try and create a flame war or even ask which is better as the only opinion that matters at the end of the day is mine and it is all talk until i test drive both cars (which i intend to do in the next 5 weeks) and make my decision purely based on that and the knowledge i have gathered on both vehicles over the last couple of years.

As a normal car enthusiast i go from wanting the Viper this week to the Vette the next and have been doing so for a while with a 997 porsche and 996 gt3 however it has to be something American for me as i cannot obtain access to cars like this in London easily.

There are many things i love about the Viper and also the Vette, it's all in the testdrive, not the BS that so often goes on. The main thing in the Viper's favor is the fact that it is a vert and my last 3 cars have been verts (Mustang GT, Miata, S2000). The biggest things against it is my need for it to be a DD though i do have a motorcycle ( a 2003 Indian Chief) i can use and store the car for nicer days in a garage a few mins around the corner.

Anyway, i have been reading this forum for about 6 months and have been a member of the corvetteforum since 2005 and various others for many years.

I have left a message for Bill at Woodhouse and he was out racing today, i expect him to get back to me within the next couple of days. Funny thing is that myself AND my uncle are both looking to buy Viper's so we are hoping to get a good deal by buying two on the same day and either picking them up and driving them back and making a trip of it, or by having their excellent enclosed trailors deliver them both.

I have seen the prices drop significantly and this has influenced my decision a fair amount, there is even a brand new 2006 Coupe on autotrader for 73k! Needless to say i know the market value of the 06 verts (and should do having followed them for 6 months) and hopefully woodhouse will work with us on the price as i have a set figure in mind. I have a few questions for him regarding registration in CA if i buy from him and pending our chat i may have a Viper soon from him or not :D

Anyway, this post has become fairly lengthy, I hope to update the thread after speaking to Bill and we'll see what happens.

Another alternative that struck me is that i may buy a Vette and my uncle a Viper and we will have two great American machines that both compliment each other, but we'll see.

I look forward to continue to read through the forum (i have read about 40 pages back so far of this forum and off topic)!

If any of you guys are in West Los Angeles i'd love to have a ride in a Viper as so far i have only sat it one!

Josh.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! Bill P. will not do you wrong, and I'm sure you'll have a Woodhouse Viper in no time.

By the way, nice name!

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody can answer which car is better. They both have their pro's and con's. You need to decide what you want. You can get a Viper and rarely see another one, have everybody you drive past look and admire the car. Or you can get the Z06 and have people that actually notice the car ask you if it's a real Z06. But the Z06 is faster(stock) and has more options. It's also not as easy to Modify.

For me the decision was easy, Viper all the way! Since this will be your first 'fast' car, I'd hold off on having Woodhouse putting a Paxton on it. Instead get the Moton's and their modified shifter. Then get the Paxton as soon as your use to driving the car!

btw, my paxton just put down 666hp/604torque at the rear tires! You'd be hard pressed fo find a Z06 putting down more and as reliably as the Paxton unit does it.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Josh!!
Glad you've read quite a bit about the Vipers and the Vette. We have had both (the Z06), and moved up to the Viper...hands down, Viper WAYYYYYYYY more impressive; bang for the buck--sure the Vette. BUT, as WICKED said above, you drive a Viper,and you get the 'whiplash looks' :eek: :eek: :eek: !! The Z06 basically looks like a regular Vette, unless you have people who REALLY know the Z06. Our Z06 was a great car (AND you're looking for a DD--probably Vette here again), but hands-down, the VIPER (or as we call it "THE BEAST") has it beat by 100%!!!! (Our own modest opinion here!) :D :D GOOD LUCK to you in your decision, and enjoy!!! :headbang:
~juli

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Josh!!
BUT, as WICKED said above, you drive a Viper,and you get the 'whiplash looks' :eek: :eek: :eek: !! The Z06 basically looks like a regular Vette, unless you have people who REALLY know the Z06.
\

Hi there,

this comment has been stated by my uncle over and over again, and i agree. There are some nice things about being in the Vette - it looks like a lovely 50k car, not an 80k car (incl. tax, reg etc) where as the Vette looks like a 100k Exotic. Now i am a very down to earth and non flashy guy so the Vette will suit me in that aspect as i am pretty young and don't want the boss thinking he's paying me too much - if i buy the Vette he wouldn't see it as much of an upgrade pricewise but a Viper screams 100k car but i guess it's not always bad hehe!

We'll see, if anyone has bought recently from Woodhouse please PM me so i can ask a few questions.

Josh.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Josh!!
BUT, as WICKED said above, you drive a Viper,and you get the 'whiplash looks' :eek: :eek: :eek: !! The Z06 basically looks like a regular Vette, unless you have people who REALLY know the Z06.
\

Hi there,

this comment has been stated by my uncle over and over again, and i agree. There are some nice things about being in the Vette - it looks like a lovely 50k car, not an 80k car (incl. tax, reg etc) where as the Vette looks like a 100k Exotic. Now i am a very down to earth and non flashy guy so the Vette will suit me in that aspect as i am pretty young and don't want the boss thinking he's paying me too much - if i buy the Vette he wouldn't see it as much of an upgrade pricewise but a Viper screams 100k car but i guess it's not always bad hehe! <u>Vette looks like a 100k Exotic</u>

Josh.

Josh,
I think you meant above where you stated the 'Vette looks like a lovely 50k car, where the VIPER looks a 100k Exotic (not Vette as you stated)...we are also very down-to-earth, non-flashy (as some of the Viper members know us, they'll say the same, I'd think)...it's your decision as you well know--and I'm sure you will make a very informed one!! Best of luck to ya ~juli

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned a 98 C5, and a 02 Z06. If you have the money there is no decision to make. The viper wins. If you dont have the money, or fear the insurance premiums buy the vette.

If you are worried about what your boss thinks wait a few years until your the boss.

best of luck in your choice.

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I faced the same choice.

For me it was not about what others woudl think. It does get whiplash looks.

But ever time I open my garage and catch a glimpse of the car I get a big smile. It looks and drives liek a race car. Raw power. Exilerating to say the least.

Driving a Viper is an experience.

Driving a Vette is fun. But just not over the top.

In terms of performance, the Vette ma have a slight performance advantage out of the box. But it will always look the same.

If the power is not enough slap a Paxton on and look out.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I faced the same choice.

For me it was not about what others woudl think. It does get whiplash looks.

But ever time I open my garage and catch a glimpse of the car I get a big smile. It looks and drives liek a race car. Raw power. Exilerating to say the least.

Driving a Viper is an experience.

Driving a Vette is fun. But just not over the top.

In terms of performance, the Vette ma have a slight performance advantage out of the box. But it will always look the same.

If the power is not enough slap a Paxton on and look out.

AGREEMENT to the above!! I look at that Viper and just smile :laugh: :eek: ...yep, Vette may have a slight performance advantage out of the hole, but as above, it'll always look like a Vette, Z06 or not. A Viper looks like NONE other, and if you look at the AMAZING craftmanship...each Viper handmade/Z06-Vettes factory produced...hands-down, Viper wins...BUT that's only us Viper Member's modest :eek: opinions! Best of luck in your decision---let us know what you decide, and how you like your choice. ~juli

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woah woah, no Paxton anytime soon for me.

This car has enough power. The only things i would do is as follows: corsa exhaust, remove the cats, intake and possibly ecu reflash and possibly navigation.

If i buy a black on black i will tint the headlights and tailights and powdercoat the rims.

If i buy a blue on black i will buy vinyl white stripes (so that i can remove them when i want) and a removable hardtop, possibly powdercoat the rims black.

I am having a really tough time deciding between black or blue:

Black looks awesome (MEAN) when clean, yet i don't clean my own cars and never wash them more than once a month and certainly don't have the dedication to own a black car. I currently own a blue S2000 almost identical in color to the blue offered on the 06 Viper.

Blue with white stripes were my dream colors on the Viper when i grew up, though i don't want to buy rims for the car to begin with and powdercoating is MUCH cheaper than buying some HRE's and i don't think all black would look good on the blue (and i personally couldn't rock chrome rims on a Viper).

I would love to see loads of pics of blue and black ones!

Josh.

Oh and P.S. I didn't hear from Bill, the guy i spoke to yesterday neglected to tell me he would be out the office the whole week! I got his cell and will call him in the AM as he is available to take calls on it.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Josh,
When you go back to the UK to visit, I can take care of your Viper for you! :eek: (heh heh!)

Listen to your heart. (Your "left brain") It knows exactly what it wants. Once it gets a Viper, the right side of your brain will concede.

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW what is the concensus on vinyl stripes? Are they expensive? Are they easy to install and remove?

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(quote)
Black looks awesome (MEAN) when clean, yet i don't clean my own cars and never wash them more than once a month and certainly don't have the dedication to own a black car.

If you don't take better care of your car than a wash once a month than you can't have a Viper. :nono: A Viper is an exotic car that you will want to take care of and even enjoy keeping it looking it's best. :2tu: If you just want a vert to drive around in keep the honda or buy a basic vette then once a month wash will be ok.
Not trying to be mean but a Viper is special and deserves to be kept looking nice and unless the Viper is for fun once a month wash will never do. If on the other hand you want a Viper for a once in a while car go for it keep the honda for a DD and have the best of both worlds. :cool:

P.S. Roanoke Motors in IL is also one of the best place to buy a Viper. Call John or Dennis at 1-800-541-6858

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha!

I know, i'll probably end up washing it once a week. As it's going to be a DD it isn't going to be immaculate all the time, it doesn't bother me - these cars should be driven, not babied and used as garage queens.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha!

I know, i'll probably end up washing it once a week. As it's going to be a DD it isn't going to be immaculate all the time, it doesn't bother me - these cars should be driven, not babied and used as garage queens.

Get the vette since you want a daily driver. :2tu: I think for everyday use the vette is more what you are looking for. Do you know that the Viper has no cruise control,no cup holder and no automatic trans not good for a DD especially in LA traffic. :nono: You will be shifting all the time. :D

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha!

Get the vette since you want a daily driver. :2tu: I think for everyday use the vette is more what you are looking for. Do you know that the Viper has no cruise control,no cup holder and no automatic trans not good for a DD especially in LA traffic. :nono: You will be shifting all the time. :D

I currently have a Honda S2000 in LA. I have no commute - 4 min drive to work and am almost never on the freeways.

The S2000 has no cupholder (the one it supposedly has is not usable), and due to its lack or tq, i am certain that i currently row through the gears MUCH more than i would in a Viper. The S2000 does have Cruise Control aka JOSH control which i do like - if i am on the fwy i can shove it at 70 and know i am not going to speed (lack of self restraint). That is something i would miss.

Josh.

wartornwarhorse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome, i am also very new here, and chose a Viper... A strikingly striking black SRT 03 vert. I really don't drive a Viper to attract attention, infact I hate attention, you see I am paranoid, obsessive compulsive, delusional etc.... And when people look, which is all the time, it is hard for me to react properly, sometimes....

I feel like saying, you lookin at me, huh, you lookin at me? You must be lookin at me, there's nobody else around here, I think you're lookin at me!

But, the main reason I drive a Viper is this.... It is a true true drivers car, the entertainment of driving the car is just that, driving the car. As a youngster I dreamed of driving Ferrari Testa Rossas, Jag D types, Cobras, and the like. The Viper fulfills this fantasy.

I shoot high power target rifles etc. and when we have a rifle that shoots real well, we always say, "That rifle shoots better than I do." With a Viper the cars capabilities are so far beyond most peoples abilities, I can safely say that this car will never boor me, or is it bore, or boar?? it can do so much more than I am capable of. I am simply awed by the whole Viper experience.

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to the viper nation Josh!! When you have a chance to come to 'coffee &amp; cars' gathering at Irvine on Sat. morning, shoot me a PM. I will give you an unforgettable viper ride :2tu: .

Gregory

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Vette years back and now I drive the Viper black SRT 10 vert. NO COMPARISON. The Viper w/ just a few mods will rip up anything on the road costing less than $250,000. And there are more Vettes made in one year than all the Vipers ever produced. The Viper resale is better, the "what the hell is that?!" from admirers is better, the Viper club brotherhood is stronger, and the Viper can be modified to over 1000 hp and still be a DD (although I dont really recommend that!). In addition, the Viper is a purest car, in the sense that it is a drivers dream...the car will become one with you over time. There is no nanny (traction control) there is no "okay, you **** as a driver? We forgive you (stability control)"..it is simply you and your talent and your Viper. The car makes you a better driver and rewards you. As far as mods, be careful...most people cannot even handle the stock 510 hp, especially on the run-craps (run flats). I almost spinned my Viper around a few times when I first got her, it can happen in a heartbeat...drive her first, get to know and respect her, then you can start the mods. You see many Vette owners coming over to Viper...I dont think I see any Viper owners going over to Vette...that says enough in and of itself! WELCOME!!

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I just spoke to Bill Pemberton regarding a couple of the cars and i will relay the information he provided to my uncle tonight and we'll move from there. He seems like a down to earth guy and gave me some useful advice in what to look for when purchasing a Viper.

Josh.

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what is the most you guys would currently pay for a New leftover 06 Vert?

The cheapest i have seen is $67,500 plus tax reg etc. up on autotrader and many with buy it nows on ebay of 69k

PM me if you don't want to mention it in the thread.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you can grab a new car at $67.5k you should buy it quick. With the delay in 2008 production, anticipated low volumes and potentially long wait lists conventional wisdom is that the 06 prices will come back to something more realistic as summer breaks.

Buying a new snake $20k under sticker is a steal!

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can grab a new car at $67.5k you should buy it quick. With the delay in 2008 production, anticipated low volumes and potentially long wait lists conventional wisdom is that the 06 prices will come back to something more realistic as summer breaks.

Buying a new snake $20k under sticker is a steal!

So an update, i have been dealing with Bill and have discussed the numbers with him today, he seems like a down to earth guy.

I really need to sleep on it and think long and hard about this the next couple of days as the numbers are all higher than what i was aiming at and i am struggling to convince myself to spend the extra money on the car.

Josh.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think the numbers are higher than you thought that's natural. Your research has occurred over the last six months when there was an unprecedented surplus of new Vipers on the market, they were stacked up at the plant and all available means were being utilized to move them. That situation has changed as production has ended months ago and will not start up for a bit. And when it does no one will be discounting the 600hp car. Demand will be very high. So there are very few 06's left at this point, grab one while you can there will never be a better deal than right now, and there will never be a better guy to deliver that deal than Bill. If I were you I would be checking out a few cars he still has that are pretty rare, he has several left that they built in single digit color combos.

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy ,
I just bought a like new 05 copperhead (800 miles appx)
&amp; have a new 06 Z06 .

Bought the Viper mainly cause I missed the convertible aspect.

They are both phenomenal cars.

Vette has allot of electronic driving aids which is both blessing
&amp; curse.

IMO if Stock performance is the sole factor get the vette.

If you like top down, loud &amp; beastly (which I do)
then the viper is it hands down.

Unless you track either car &amp;/or do some HPDE it's highly unilkey you'll reach the limits of either car.

As far as what other people think regarding the values of either I could care less.

Good Luck :usa:

OP
OP
L

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No the Viper is what i want, price is an important factor and i am not going to stretch myself for one.