Starter problem -- dead Viper

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I start my Viper this afternoon, and it makes a strange metalic sound right as it starts, but then it runs fine. (It has an Optima Red Top that has been turning over slowly lately, and was completely dead about three months ago after sitting for a couple of months)...

... I drove it for about 15 minutes and then parked it. When I came back to start it again (still warm, 20 min later), 'click' and then nothing. Dead. Completely dead. Power door locks wouldn't work -- nothing...

... Tried to jump it, but although the starter would engage, the engine would not start. Took the battery to auto store ... they test it, and the battery tests bad, so I get a new Optima Yellow Top. Back in the car with the new battery, and the starter engages again (stronger now) with jumpers attached, but still the engine will not turn over ... then, as soon as jumpers are disconnected, the 'new' battery is completely dead -- no power nothing.

Can a bad starter circuit engage with jumpers attached, but then leave the system with absolutely no power? The engine was warm and the starter sounds strong as it engages, but no ignition and then no power in the system without jumpers. :bonker:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off I have had a ton of problems with those batteries. they have all gone dead after sitting a month or two. The red battery is a starting battery only and the yellow one is a deep cycle battery. Now I only use conventional AGM batteries as they will hold a charge all winter. I have them in my Trawler that has a diesel engine and it starts right up in the spring after sitting all winter.

I would go ahead and disconnect your new battery and put it on a charger to fully charge it overnight at 10 amps. Chances are it was not charged when they gave it to you as a replacement. After it have been charged, let it sit for 1/2 hour and do a load test on it. After reconnecting the battery and starting the car use your load tester to check the charging system.

I would also check the ground cable that runs from your passenger side motor mount to the frame rail to be sure it is clean and in good shape. With out a good ground between the engine and the frame you will have all kinds of problems.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It turned out to be the ground battery cable, where it attaches to the frame near the trunk in back. Thanks everyone.