Fueling problems

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the Viper to a gas station and had clicked the gas handle to pump until it was full, but stayed right by the car the whole time. I looked down and noticed gas was pouring out from between where the splash shields bolt together :curse: By the time I reacted and got the pump off, gas had come all the way back up the filler neck and was puddled in the recessed area that the filler hole sits in and was still running out from between the splash shield :curse: I came home (maybe a 2 mile drive) and hosed the car down for several minutes just incase any gas had got on the paint. This is the 2nd time this has happened in 6 months (1st time was at a different gas station). Was this just because the gas tank didnt shut off when it should? Plus, I know Gen 1's have a problem with the gaskets around the gas tanks failing and I have a new one of those that I ordered from Tator, but just havent installed yet. Is that most likely the culprit? Or something else? TIA!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is how bonkers car caught fire, probably because the pump didnt shut off. I manully fill it and dont let the pump shut off by itself.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the same as dansauto. I never let the pump fill manually. For some reason, as many know, it is not the easiest job in the world to fill the tank in these things. I had mine spill over a little once when I was filling it manually, nothing much though.