"Small World" heartwarmer Story - Scam Reversed

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
\"Small World\" heartwarmer Story - Scam Reversed

I love 'Small World' stories...and the VIPER makes it a SMALL WORLD for us all.

In 2005 I sold a LARGE 5-figure order to a 'tuner' in Saudi Arabia. [He was NOT Saudi.] He ordered and paid for 5 shipments in 5 months...all paid for on 3 of his credit cards, or by wire-transfer. After 5 months, he became a slow-pay guy, always having excuses, but eventually paying. BUT THEN HE STOPPED PAYING! He ended up telling several lies, and stuck PartsRack with an even $5000 in unpaid merchandise and expensive shipping bills. [ One US 'tuner' was WORSE! ]

Now you would THINK that in a large country like Saudi Arabia, many thousands of miles and 12-hours in time zones from me, I was doomed. In fact, Doris wrote off the $5000 as bad-debt and was sure we would NEVER see a dime. Should I maybe EMBARGO sales to Saudi Arabia ? "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" Naaah.... I am blessed to have GREAT customers in 24 counttries, including several Middle-East countries and 6-7 in The Kingdom (SA)

Small-talk with 2 customers in SA this past year led me to discover WHO had gotten my parts installed by the scam-tuner. My customers told me this Viper owner was truly a nice guy who would be horrified to know the parts had been stolen. He, too had been scammed by the 'tuner' and was trying to recover his monies as well, or so the story unfolded. These TWO guys in S.A. gave me the car owners Email and physical address, and I dropped him a short Email. OUT OF THE BLUE

Understand, I had NO fore-hand knowledge of HIM....and I assumed he had none of me. But this proved WRONG on both counts.

He kindly and promptly returned my mail, and RE-INTRODUCED himself, with correct spelling and title. It seems my Arabic-translation skills were lacking: HE WAS A PAST CUSTOMER after all! He knew PartsRack well, and reads this site regularly. He sounded sincere about his regret for MY LOSS....which was also HIS...as the parts were NOT all installed on his car, altho he had indeed paid the 'scammer' for them.

So HERE is the part of the story that is truly amazing: He asked me for my Bank info so that he might reimburse MY LOSS, if and when he made good on the scammer. Being protective as a CPA should, Doris cautioned about giving out this confidential info in this case, but my gut won out and I provided him my bank data. But it TURNS OUT I misunderstood my long-lost customer's intent.

WITHIN 5 DAYS I WAS PAID IN FULL..... NO QUESTIONS.....NO INVOICES....NO EXCUSES...... just paid in full by wire transfer. By a 'stranger' half a world away who did NOT want to be a part of this wrong...so he simply made it right.

A Small World, bonded by GOOD HUMAN NATURE reaching beyond any cultural differences....threaded together by the VIPER and even by this site....

Pretty Amazing, huh?

HAPPY EASTER , PASSOVER , Allah Akhbar, etc .... JonB

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Small World\" heartwarmer Story - Scam Reversed

Wow - there ARE good folks out there - and this proves it.

Good for you, Jon, you deserve it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

glad to hear it jon, things happen for a reason

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

That guy who made good on someone else's debt is an OUTSTANDING individual, with GREAT PERSONAL CHARACTER! Thats so way "above and beyond", its truly amazing. Evidently he has a truck load of personal integrity. Kudos to you, whoever you are.

and shame on that "tuner", for his shady business dealings.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That guy who made good on someone else's debt is an OUTSTANDING individual, with GREAT PERSONAL CHARACTER! Thats so way "above and beyond", its truly amazing. Evidently he has a truck load of personal integrity. Kudos to you, whoever you are.

and shame on that "tuner", for his shady business dealings.

+ eleventy-billion. This wouldn't happen in many other car communities. Viper Nation for the win!

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dang, Tuners like that make it bad for the rest of us. No wonder Jon wouldn't send that $20,000.oo in Engine performance parts on credit, :headbang:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

g: He asked me for my Bank info so that he might reimburse MY LOSS, if and when he made good on the scammer. Being protective as a CPA should, Doris cautioned about giving out this confidential info in this case, but my gut won out and I provided him my bank data. But it TURNS OUT I misunderstood my long-lost customer's intent.

WITHIN 5 DAYS I WAS PAID IN FULL..... NO QUESTIONS.....NO INVOICES....NO EXCUSES...... just paid in full by wire transfer. By a 'stranger' half a world away who did NOT want to be a part of this wrong...so he simply made it right.

A Small World, bonded by GOOD HUMAN NATURE reaching beyond any cultural differences....threaded together by the VIPER and even by this site....

Pretty Amazing, huh?

HAPPY EASTER , PASSOVER , Allah Akhbar, etc .... JonB

Jon-Thank you for sharing that incident with us. It's ALWAYS good when we hear GOOD things that happen after BAD things. We've talked to you a number of times, and you are THE MOST enthusiastic guy and most down-to-earth, so we are JUST delighted you got recourse here!! :2tu: Congrats and Happy Easter!
~mike & juli~

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow Jon that is AMAZING!!!!!

It kind of renews my faith in people to hear that, there are still SOME good people out there.

Glad you didn't get screwed out of the $5,000

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great story Jon! This shows that some people have outstanding character and will correct wrongs even when its not really their fault! Now maybe Viper owner BOBBY SHERMAN of Connecticut will read this thread and feel guilty about ripping me off and refund the $1000 he stole from me by selling me damaged wheels as "mint condition".

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: "Small World" heartwarmer Story - Scam Reversed

WOW! Jon, With all the scam artists out there it is really nice to read a story like yours and to know there are still honest people out there. I only can hope that the honest people outnumber the scam artists.

Robbie

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jon, maybe if they get the guy in SA that ripped you off, they'll chop his hand off.

I wonder what they do with all those hands.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I am BUMPING this OLD Thread, because I just had a smaller, similar surprise in KUWAIT. A Small monetary loss, written off, but later voluntarily covered in Kuwait....When it come to Vipers, it seems most of us are Brothers at heart......

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't remember ever seeing the original post. Pretty cool story. I wonder if the scammer ever got caught?

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great to hear Jon. Over the long run, good customer service is usually rewarded and glad to see that happened here.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice to see threads this old from the past brought back. I do remember this post.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No matter what others may say, you're truly a good guy Jon and good things happen to good people.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did I read it correctly in a previous post Jon that the company that ripped you off was named RSA?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss