Emergency brake will not catch...

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems I have to try a dozen times or so before it catches or it just clicks and goes all the way back. How easy is it to get access to it to look if it needs an adjustment or to be replaced...??? Thanks in advance. It's a 97 GTS.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you remove the center console cover you can see the ratchet mechanism (that makes the clicky noises.) Perhaps the tooth isn't catching. Sometimes the thumb button gets a little sticky and becomes slightly depressed, not allowing it to stay engaged. That is also where the cable is attached - nothing to fiddle with under the car or at the brake calipers.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems I have to try a dozen times or so before it catches or it just clicks and goes all the way back. How easy is it to get access to it to look if it needs an adjustment or to be replaced...??? Thanks in advance. It's a 97 GTS.

It is common, the little lever that catches the ratchet is not catching. like Tom said lift up the console and lube it up, I actually had to bend mine over a little

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to remove the ashtray surround (velcro and snaps) and remove the transmission console cover (phillips screwdriver.) First time you will panic about breaking stuff and it'll take 20 minutes; after that about 3 minutes.

If you don't have a parts manual, at least you can see the individual parts by downloading the parts manual from http://www.mopar.com/viper.html Look in the Group 08A instrument panel section.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper