new forum -posting pics in threads

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok ladies and gents. lets get started. please take your seats. thank you.

todays lesson, is about posting pics within threads in the new forum.

posting a pic within a thread in the new forums is VERY SIMILAR to what you did in the old forum.

first. find the pic you want to insert in the thread.

RIGHT CLICK on the picture with your mouse, and a menu will come up. go down to the bottom and LEFT CLICK on "properties". a PROPERTIES window will come up. LEFT CLICK and highlight the URL ADDRESS. now RIGHT CLICK, and click COPY. you have now put that URL address into your computers memory. close that window.

look at this address.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/thumbs/new_b.JPG

this address goes to this picture:

new_b.JPG

look at this address.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/new_b.JPG

this address goes to this picture:

new_b.JPG

THEY ARE THE SAME PIC, arent they? but notice they have DIFFERENT URL ADDRESSES.

if you copy the URL address for a small pic, you will get a SMALL PIC.
if you copy the URL address for a big pic, you will get a BIG pic.

OK?

to add the pic you have chosen into a thread in the new forum, you will need to be in the "REPLY TO THREAD" screen. (that is the screen with all the smiley faces on it.)

look for THIS ICON:
insertimage.gif
(insert image)

click on this icon and another window will pop up. that window wants to know the URL ADDRESS of the photo you are trying to insert. you copied that earlier, remember?

delete everything in the box, then RIGHT CLICK, and click "paste" to insert the address you copied earlier. click "OK".

go down to the bottom and click on "Preview Post". you should see your image!

AGAIN, the process is VERY SIMILAR to what you did before, you just have to make sure to click on the right icon.

hope this helps some of you. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a little I added in another thread...

What is the best siza and dpi for uploading? I have uploaded different sizes and dpi but when I try to post them they post loke a small thumnail. What am I doing wrong?????
Thanks
Rob
It shouldn't make a difference what size you upload, whether it be "high def" or a thumbnail as the Gallery will give you different size options once uploaded. Once you upload your picture the first thing you will see are thumbnails of everything you uploaded. Click on that thumbnail and you will get a screen with a "medium" sized picture, assuming it was a larger one to begin with. That screen also shows you the other size available (you can click the picture or the size and it will come up). Most importantly, it gives you the actual code to insert right in your post if you wish:

photos.jpg

Notice that if it is a "medium" picture (smaller than the orginal) it will say so right in the URL itself. The ORIGINAL picture (no matter what size) will not show "medium" in the url. Indeed, if you "copy and paste" the url of your thumbnail picture you will see "thumbs" in that same spot. The Gallery basically has folders for each size - thumbs, medium, and originals. If your image isn't that big it won't create a "medium" file as it is already sized well for viewing there and in the forums. In other words, if your picture is huge (like the original of the one above), PLEASE post the "medium" version to keep people from having to scroll back and forth to see it.

Hope this helps!

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I have to ask the same question. I have been a paid VCA member, and my avatar dissappeared as well. Do we need to upload it to an administrator for proper placement?

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I have to ask the same question. I have been a paid VCA member, and my avatar dissappeared as well. Do we need to upload it to an administrator for proper placement?

we download our own avatars now. real easy - go into your control panel, and then go to "edit avatars". LMK if you need help.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra - I am afraid that both your VIN and VCA numbers are coming up as invalid. I have the latest VCA list dated yesterday, so can't help you there I am afraid. If you can provide the correct VIN I can at least upgrade your title to Viper Owner. You might want to check with VCA headquarters to check on your membership: 1-800-998-1110.

Warp - You are all set - cool avatar too! :1up:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chris is still catching up with status work. i have notified him of your post. he will get your status corrected for ya.

Actually, now that I have the Viper in the garage I am using that bad boy! Did a cruise this evening with the local HPAC (High Performance Automobile Club) and took in a flick with the kiddies this afternoon. Sorry I didn't get back sooner!

:drive:

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra - I am afraid that both your VIN and VCA numbers are coming up as invalid. I have the latest VCA list dated yesterday, so can't help you there I am afraid. If you can provide the correct VIN I can at least upgrade your title to Viper Owner. You might want to check with VCA headquarters to check on your membership: 1-800-998-1110.

Warp - You are all set - cool avatar too! :1up:

I own Two 2006 Vipers. I'm sure one of them has a good VIN. I will check the VCA too I guess.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIN verified, now you are officially a Viper Owner. Check with VCA HQ about your membership, as you aren't on the list as of Friday. Thanks!

:2tu:

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:) I appreciate the comments about the avatar. With so many creative people on this website I felt I needed to contribute. I took a pic of my car, found a nice space background, and stole some warp nacelles from a starfleet shuttle. Through the magic of photoshop my avatar was born.

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a little I added in another thread...

It shouldn't make a difference what size you upload, whether it be "high def" or a thumbnail as the Gallery will give you different size options once uploaded. Once you upload your picture the first thing you will see are thumbnails of everything you uploaded. Click on that thumbnail and you will get a screen with a "medium" sized picture, assuming it was a larger one to begin with. That screen also shows you the other size available (you can click the picture or the size and it will come up). Most importantly, it gives you the actual code to insert right in your post if you wish:

photos.jpg

Notice that if it is a "medium" picture (smaller than the orginal) it will say so right in the URL itself. The ORIGINAL picture (no matter what size) will not show "medium" in the url. Indeed, if you "copy and paste" the url of your thumbnail picture you will see "thumbs" in that same spot. The Gallery basically has folders for each size - thumbs, medium, and originals. If your image isn't that big it won't create a "medium" file as it is already sized well for viewing there and in the forums. In other words, if your picture is huge (like the original of the one above), PLEASE post the "medium" version to keep people from having to scroll back and forth to see it.

Hope this helps!

GREAT POST, VERY INFORMATIVE ! Thanks :2tu:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the above procedure applies for a Mac? All of my Viper-related pics are on my Mac and I do not get the same options when right clicking an image or file on my computer. Thanks.

/Rich

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how do I get my pictures to a URL?

I got the hint! :D Besides posting your pics in that thread (finally), here is what you need to do:

1. Start by going to the Media Gallery link towards the top left.

2. Then, click the "Upload Photos" link on the top right task bar (you do NOT need to be in "My Photos" to do this).

3. After that page comes up, you will see a couple drop-down boxes, with the top one showing "Member Galleries" by default. You can click the drop down "carrot" button next to "Member Galleries" and choose a more specific category for your photos to go. It is not mandatory to do so - you can simply upload to the default category of Member Galleries as most people do. You can also upload an album in the drop down box below it, but most people ignore that. Then you enter some keywords for your photo (Viper, V10, etc.) for people searching, as the title below that and the description below the title.

4. Now below that and to the left is a button that says Select Files for Upload: By clicking that it will open a new window on your PC for you to locate and select your photos. So remember where your pictures are on your PC (files and folders). So find the picture you want to upload on your PC and double click it. It will show it "uploading" that picture. When you are finished uploading them that way, click "Upload/Submit" at the bottom of that page.

5. You will then see a "splash page" saying "Preparing to process image list!" and then be taken to a "preview" screen that allows you to further edit/add titles, descriptions, etc. The "Add Photo" box (second column) should be checked by default, so don't click it again (removing the check mark) as that simply negates the upload.

6. Everything look good? Click the "Process" button at the bottom of that page. You will then see another splash page that says "Processing image list"and then another splash page that says"Your image was uploaded successfully!" You should also have some hypertext below each of those messages that says:

Click here if you do not want to wait any longer
(or if your browser does not automatically forward you)

7. Voilà! Assuming your browser correctly forwards to the next page, you should then see your uploaded photo in your own gallery of photos, like this:

gallery.jpg

8. As noted above, you can then click on the thumbnail picture you want to use and you will get a screen with a "medium" sized picture, assuming it was a larger one to begin with. That screen also shows you the other size available (you can click the picture or the size and it will come up). Most importantly, it gives you the actual code to insert right in your post if you wish:

photos.jpg

9. Simply copy that code as noted above and "paste" it into your post. Don't click the "picture" icon and then insert it, as you are doubling the number of tags and it probably won't work. Just paste it in the post like this (I changed the "/" to a "*" so it won't display the picture):

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/563/medium/100_1336.JPG[*img]

10. Then submit your post (or click "Preview Post" or "Go Advanced" if you are doing a quick reply) and that's it!

Now, please notice that if it is a "medium" picture (smaller than the orginal) it will say so right in the URL itself. The ORIGINAL picture (no matter what size) will not show "medium" in the url. Indeed, if you "copy and paste" the url of your thumbnail picture you will see "thumbs" in that same spot. The Gallery basically has folders for each size - thumbs, medium, and originals. If your image isn't that big it won't create a "medium" file as it is already sized well for viewing there and in the forums. In other words, [B]if your picture is huge (like the original of the one above), PLEASE post the "medium" version to keep people from having to scroll back and forth to see it[/B].

Hope this helps!

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and what if you don't get a URL address when you select properties for the pic? then what?

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris,

Now, for us dummies, could you tell us what is the best size for posting them and how, when, and where to do so?

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow way to wake a post from the dead. Thats ok though this one has some good info that some continue to ask.