Lowering Spring Caps

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have these on my car -- they look great -- about 3/8" lower -- perfect for what I wanted (no pics yet, sorry) ... but ... it's either my imagination or something, but the car ride seems (a bit) bumpier. (Please, no suggestions about Motons or KWs, etc ... not going to spend that much.)

I can't figure out why this would be, since the springs and shocks are unchanged with the lower spring caps -- unless the stock shock are somehow progressive, or the ride is hitting the bump stops (but that would seem unlikely with only a 3/8" drop)

any insights?

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes, alignment was done ... but how would that effect the 'bounce' in the ride?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe its bottoming out the shock? Keep in mind the caps make it so the piston sinks even further into the cartridge/chamber. So if you hit a bump or something its got less room to work then before. Also their is less fluid available to compress as its making the harsh push up into the chamber, so its probably going to be theoretically more stiff (bouncy).

But I know that doesnt directly answer your question. But I did the caps on my car too, and I really didnt notice any difference, other then the drop I was looking for. I did own an ACR before, so maybe I'm used to stiff and bouncyness. :)

Jon

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guy’s have me going again. I bought the caps for my car but never but them on. The consensus around here seemed to be that they made no difference. But 3/8 is all I’m looking for.

Things that make you Hmmmmmmmmm

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They make a difference, trust me. They are a PIA to install, but they DEF. make a difference. Matter of fact, they were perfect for me here in Chicago, where I didnt want to lower the car too much, and I sure didnt want to spend the big bucks for the motons, etc.

Jon

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had thought about getting them too. Until I could get Mototns, later down the road. But Ive read of guys blowing out stock shocks easier because of the lowered stance from spring caps. I guess stock shocks dont hold up well.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had thought about getting them too. Until I could get Mototns, later down the road. But Ive read of guys blowing out stock shocks easier because of the lowered stance from spring caps. I guess stock shocks dont hold up well.

I have 18,000 miles on the OEM shocks and they bare good as new.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They make a difference, trust me. They are a PIA to install, but they DEF. make a difference. Matter of fact, they were perfect for me here in Chicago, where I didnt want to lower the car too much, and I sure didnt want to spend the big bucks for the motons, etc.

Jon

I spent quite a few hours trying to install my own. Even bought a spring compressor and still couldn’t get one changed. It’s hairy as hell working by yourself and having your fingers playing around with a compressed spring. I’ve tried to get Dodge to do it and they won’t touch it. I’m waiting till some other issues come up and I’ll take it to Larry Mecedos in Orlando, and have him do it all.

But thanks John. All I’m looking for is a slight drop that I won’t have to worry about on the road.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent quite a few hours trying to install my own. Even bought a spring compressor and still couldn’t get one changed. It’s hairy as hell working by yourself and having your fingers playing around with a compressed spring. I’ve tried to get Dodge to do it and they won’t touch it. I’m waiting till some other issues come up and I’ll take it to Larry Mecedos in Orlando, and have him do it all.

But thanks John. All I’m looking for is a slight drop that I won’t have to worry about on the road.

Yeah Androo, I wouldnt lead you astray. They do work, they do lower the car, i mean quite simply how could they not, they are physically 3/8 of an inch shorter then their stock counter parts. The only thing that MIGHT throw people off, is that when your doing this whole change, the shocks are UNLOADED and theirfore expand to a higher level then they did with all that weight sittting on them for months,days, years, etc.. so even after the kit is installed, the car sometimes looks HIGHER or the SAME as before. In about a week of driving it. OR one day of REALLY hard driving (many acceleration launches, and hard breaking, etc..) it settles down BELOW what it originally was. My car looks a lot better now then it did new relative to ride height.

And really the key to the install, is a REALLY good spring compressor, the problem becomes that you really need to get the highest rung possible on the spring and the LOWEST rung possible and then compress the CRAP out of it, using a spring compressor on each side. then and ONLY then can you get the load off the caps enough to remove them. Once you get the stock ones out, the replacement ones just pop right in.

Key once again is GOOD SPRING COMPRESSOR, and compressing the crap out of the srping, by getting the HIGHEST rung possible and the lowest rung possible, doing BOTH sides of the spring.

I did mine all on my own as a first timer, and had no help from no one, other then those losey direction that come with the caps, and i was able to do it. But take your time and do it over a 2 night period if you need to. Fronts first, then the rears, and take your time.

Lesson over,

JON (notice no h)

Last edited:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Androo, I wouldnt lead you astray. They do work, they do lower the car, i mean quite simply how could they not, they are physically 3/8 of an inch shorter then their stock counter parts. The only thing that MIGHT throw people off, is that when your doing this whole change, the shocks are UNLOADED and theirfore expand to a higher level then they did with all that weight sittting on them for months,days, years, etc.. so even after the kit is installed, the car sometimes looks HIGHER or the SAME as before. In about a week of driving it. OR one day of REALLY hard driving (many acceleration launches, and hard breaking, etc..) it settles down BELOW what it originally was. My car looks a lot better now then it did new relative to ride height.

And really the key to the install, is a REALLY good spring compressor, the problem becomes that you really need to get the highest rung possible on the spring and the LOWEST rung possible and then compress the CRAP out of it, using a spring compressor on each side. then and ONLY then can you get the load off the caps enough to remove them. Once you get the stock ones out, the replacement ones just pop right in.

Key once again is GOOD SPRING COMPRESSOR, and compressing the crap out of the srping, by getting the HIGHEST rung possible and the lowest rung possible, doing BOTH sides of the spring.

I did mine all on my own as a first timer, and had no help from no one, other then those losey direction that come with the caps, and i was able to do it. But take your time and do it over a 2 night period if you need to. Fronts first, then the rears, and take your time.

Lesson over,

JON (notice no h)

That makes sense Jon, on the issue of amount of drop after install.

I did buy the best spring compressor “Auto Zone” sells:-( China’s finest.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The caps can't make any difference in shock lifetime. The shock bump stops are the same and the metal parts the shock rubbers bump on are the same. Also, the bumpers on the lower A-arms are the same, so the shock itself cannot collapse more than when the stock caps are installed. You might hit the bump stops more often but not any further compression.

As far as stiffness, is it possible the shock was re-adjusted when removing/installing the springs? The adjustment is done by rotating the shock plunger when it is fully compressed.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input ...

1) they DO make a difference ... perfect (I will take some pics to show)
2) my Dodge dealer did the install, but they took the springs off of the car and did it on a wall-mounted machine
3) after more driving, I only notice more bounce than before on rough, uneven (concrete) roads ... otherwise it's fine. I think it may ride perfect on some new PS2 tires :D
4) I don't think 3/8" is enough to blow any stock shock ... I read that happened with springs that were 1" or more lower ... but less shock fluid at the top being available to manage the bounce is an interesting theory ... still, I'm happy with it

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as stiffness, is it possible the shock was re-adjusted when removing/installing the springs? The adjustment is done by rotating the shock plunger when it is fully compressed.

So your saying the stock shocks in a gen 3 are adjustable? What does rotating the plunger in either direction produce for an adjustment ? I'd love to stiffent up the spension on mine. After driving a viper ACR for 60k miles, an srt10 just feels too much like a cadalac to me :)

Thanks,

Jon

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

Are the 2003-2006 SRT-10 shocks made by Koni? Does anyone know for sure if the OEM shocks are Koni and adjustable? I have called them at 859-586-4100, ext 5 & 3, but they are closed for the day. i will try them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Robbie

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom,

Are the 2003-2006 SRT-10 shocks made by Koni? Does anyone know for sure if the OEM shocks are Koni and adjustable? I have called them at 859-586-4100, ext 5 & 3, but they are closed for the day. i will try them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Robbie

This, I gotta know ... :confused:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think all viper shocks from day one have been adjustable(gen I and II). one way adjustable on regular models and two way on ACR(i may be wrong about the ACR). ACR had different manufactuers First were KONI, then Suspension Dynamics.

Last edited:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off I talked to Koni and they told me they DID NOT make the shocks for the 2003 & up SRT vipers. Koni shocks were on the Gen 1 & Gen 2 are adjustable.

Next I called Chuck Tator and asked him who did make the SRT shocks and if they were adjustable. He told me that the 2005 shock that he had in stock was made by DSP and that it IS NOT ADJUSTABLE. I could find no imfo on the net for DSP shocks.

I then called Dynamic Suspension, which is not DSP, and they told me that some early 2003 vipers had their shocks on them and that THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE. He also told me that all their shocks HAVE CANISTERS ON THE SIDE OF THE SHOCK to adjust them.

My viper was built on 06/11/2003 and DOES NOT have Dynamic Suspension shocks.

Hope this helps everyone out.

Robbie

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I checked the 2005 service manual, and it says nothing about adjustment of the shocks.