OK, I bent a rod .....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im assuming it was the 45k miles and a lot of them hard miles and throw in a good shot of nitrous for 2-3 years, it caught up with me finally on the dyno at about 4000 rpms.

looks like just the one is bent. wrist pins look great and all the bearings look good too. the engine builder said he wished all his cars ran as good as this one was apparently running. so it wasn't the tune which im glad.

now i wanna keep costs down as im in deep as it is on this s/c install and all. i was planning on keeping the stock rods, but now im kinda worried they wont hold up again since i had one go already.

my car was basically stock plus a vec2 and putting down 577 and 856 torque.

now with this DLM s/c its looking pretty damn good for me being over 700rwhp and a similiar torque number.

should i keep the stock forged rods ? im told and reading its fine to more than that power. I know im gonna be freshening the whole motor up with new bearings, cam, lifters, greg good is gonna be doing a little work on the heads, timing chain etc...

Paolo says he has a set of rods from his blower car for me, im gonna call him this morning.

Last edited:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i bent a rod @ the 965rwhp level, i just replaced it. i was good for several thousand miles until i decided to tear the full motor down. but the rods were fine when the motor came out and the stock rods stayed attached to those pistons for the next guy.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bent the rod running without nitrous and without the SC? Seems odd that you would bend it on the dyno at this point. Break maybe, due to the stress you have been putting on it with the nitrous, but bend? I'm no expert, but I would have expected a break vs a bend.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bent it on the dyno, tuning it for the s/c. but i gotta think the miles and a lot of them on nitrous caught up with me...

either way, i gotta freshen the engine up.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just figured out how it happened...

the very end of the year my nitrous stopped working right. i sent the solenoid out over the winter and NX said some kinda spring was bad and wasn't letting enough nitrous to flow and that caused my rich condition. im sure it was then i bent it, and it didn't put more than 20 miles on it then till the s/c was installed. i guess is reared its ugly head on the dyno after a couple few pulls and finally went at that 4000 rpm on the last pull.

IT HAD TO BE THAT... !!!

what do you think ?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd talk to Arrow or Tator. I think you are now speculating that the rod was already bent before the dyno? How can the tuner say that the engine was real strong if it had a bent rod?

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I highly doubt if the car was running rich that it would cause a bent rod. I think it may have something to do with the timing, possibly detonating just enough to cause a bend, that would be my first guess.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im done with it now. i dont care anymore..lol

i gotta get this dang car put back together. im looking into new rods and pistons

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Phil:

Have you looked at rods that were made for mopar high performance engines? I am not sure if they are H or I beam rods, but I can find out for you.

Be

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like im gonna go with oliver rods and ross pistons ( 5cc dish )

The 708 cam is part number #4763708
and lifters #4713439

both on the way already. my buddy is hooking me up with them today. he had them in stock for me assuming it was this. i just wish he sold oliver rods...lol

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the nitrous jet wasn't as open as it should have been, and you were running rich - it wouldn't have detonated. And you didn't make it sound like it was hydraulic lock. I don't have the answer to the bent rod, but so far the hints aren't telling the story...

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry for the confusion. im assuming a hydrolock deal from the extra fuel. i really dont think there was any detonation at least not with the S/c.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats done is done at least its not terminal......

Get them rods and pistons in and run it in so i can drive it like i stole it on my next trip LOL......

Not a NX fan heard to many horror stories.......

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after all this i might not be a nitrous fan but who knows...

Baz, anytime my friend.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really sux Phil but you will get it back stronger than before. As you know, I had nitrous on my old 94 but went the Paxton route as well. I was hearing to many horror stories from running nitrous. Then I had my nitrous explosion and that was it for me and nitrous. Good luck.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i made up my mind....im getting a set of rods. either eagle or oliver rods and a set of ross pistons (5cc dish) and im done with it. i cant go thru this BS again...lol

obviously along with that all the bearings,cam,lifters etc....

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a friend that ran BB Chevys in his late 70's Firebird. In the 6 years I knew him he had to have gone through at least 3 engines. He used nitrous in every one of them. He also put nitrous in an LS1 Camaro that he sold and the new owner kwickly blew that up.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plumcrazy:

More likely than detonation is preignition. Engines can run a substancial time under detonation, but, it only takes once at wot with preignition to damage a rod or piston. What was the symptom and how did you find it.

I have a new set of diamond pistons if you are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prosperitymirra