I Wrecked My 800hp Sc Srt Viper...

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it is time for a Vette?

Just kidding!

You have an amazing story and you are definately here for a reason. I hope you use your time wisely because the odds say you should not be here.

I am glad for you and your family that you are ok.

On a personal note.....This is making me rethink my plans for a paxton.

OP
OP

5THVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the advice. I am glad to be still be here and talking about it he was looking out for me for sure. I have never been good about wearing my seatbelt believe me I am going to start wearing it. I had a 700hp c5 vette think I will stick with the vipers lol.. I would love to take a driving school I just might do that. I have never wrecked any of my vipers I just like to keep them for a while and get a different one. I am going to drive alot smarter I have a little girl to think about and my family and friends I didnt realize how much everyone cared until this happend made me do alot of thinking.. I just had the paxton supercharger novi 2000 pulled off the car if anybody is interested in it an I also have a polished hennessy intake and throttle body. thanks for ur comments drive safe...:drive:

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now allow me to rip you a new one.

No seatbelt????

I would rather walk down Main Street naked on my way to church Sunday morning than not wearing my seatbelt.

What happened to the previous 5 Vipers?

Before investing in other high horsepower mods, on your next Viper, do yourself and all the people you share the road with a huge favor: enroll in Viper Days, then enroll in other track driving schools, polish your skills, learn to control your vehicle, but more importantly, learn to control your (apparently rather juvenile) impulses.

Conclusion: you may not be so lucky next time and you could potentially harm or kill others on the road or on sidewalks, not to mention kill yourself and/or an unlucky passenger.

Advice: If you have an irrepressible urge to drive this fast, maybe you should consider a career in motorsports after polishing your driving skills.

Recommended reading:
//http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?p=2379623#post2379623

5th Viper, I do not mean any of this in a condescending or demeaning way, just looking out for you……like a well meaning uncle-at-large!

Governor Corzine is a great example of what can needlessly happen to you, but the saddest reminder is the tragic death of Princess Diana who would have survived with minor upper body bruises if only she would have been wearing her seatbelt…….

I am sure you have never driven "a little" too fast or forgot to put your seatbelt on. Do you have some kind of "dad" complex? I'm sure that the poster is an adult and can decide for himself what type of risks are worthwhile in his life.

Accidents happen everyday and people get hurt. Welcome to the real world.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No seat belt belt on I think I was lucky I didnt have it on I would have rolled with the car. And no airbags deployed thought that was wild. Yes there was an angel watching over me for sure......

NO SEAT BELT !?! You had a whole HOST of angels in active-assist.

NO AIRBAGS? That is the 2nd recent anecdote (BobZ) of this happening.

I will read on.....I hope you can remember enuf details to post your take on the cause....

Good Luck and get better

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, it looks like the car hit sideways first. I do not see indications of a head on or frontal angle hit. Air bags only go off as a result of frontal impact/rapid deceleration. No need to cry foul on the airbags without facts supporting the assertion.

I am happy to see the windshield and sport hoops held up.

As to seat belts I have never and will never drive without them. Nor will anyone ride in my car without them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the insuarnace company didn't drop you like a lead balloon for not wearing seat belts. Is it the law where you are (thus possible ticket after the accident)?

OP
OP

5THVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My insurance couldnt have been nicer to me they have already paid my loan off and going to cut me a check for the difference. I cant believe how nice they have been I thought it would take for ever to get this over with. they told me they would pay taxes and title fees on my next one. Yes this was Big Carrots car...

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure you have never driven "a little" too fast or forgot to put your seatbelt on. Do you have some kind of "dad" complex? I'm sure that the poster is an adult and can decide for himself what type of risks are worthwhile in his life.

Accidents happen everyday and people get hurt. Welcome to the real world.

I agree, give the guy some slack. I'm sure he has been through enough right now . Then to share his experience and everyone ripping on him . And never did he say he crashed 5 Vipers just that he owned 5 Vipers .
I got in an accident wasnt wearing my seatbelt, a few years ago . Thrown from the vehicle . Sure if I was wearing my seatbelt I wouldnt be here today . My dad died in the crash . Shattered my pelvis. Doctors didnt think I would walk again . Last thing I wanted to hear were people ripping on me for not wearing my seatbelt .

Glad to hear you are okay :2tu:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are OK. Stories like this keep me from getting too crazy and wearing my seatbelt. Also I plan on staying mostly stock for the road. 800 hp is way too tempting to have and not use for me. Your Viper must have ran like a bat out of hell.

Best Wishes to you.

Reaction score
Glad you are okay! Most do not survive when tossed out of a car. The "A" pilar is not smashed to bad and the hoops seem ok. No matter you were lucky! Cars can be replaced we are here for a one act play.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air bags only go off as a result of frontal impact/rapid deceleration.

100% correct.

Also, it really shouldn't be anyone's choice to wear a seatbelt. No offense, but only a select few people in the world care if you kill yourself. We SHOULD and DO care, however, if your vehicle gets hit and you are no longer in the driver's seat to control what's left of your car.

Just my .02
~Craig

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, sorry. Seeing dead bodies in car crashes for 2 decades makes me a little cold.

Honestly glad you're okay.

~Craig

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to see that. It takes honesty and lack of ego to post that. You may save a life or two by doing so.

I hope this sells a lot of roll bars to a lot of Viper owners. The Coupes need them too, unless they are garage queens.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please wear your seatbelt - ask EMT's how many bodies they've had to cut out of seat belts vs. how many they have to retrieve from outside the car. Luck saved your life - not not wearing a seatbelt.

Glad you're ok - this could have been MUCH worse.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This response is not directed at 5THVIPER. It is a general comment. I think that many Viper owners think that supercharging their car is a cool idea but do not have any conception of the additional driving skills needed to drive the enhanced vehicle safely. So what ends up happening is that the more money than brains syndrome takes over. The car is sent to one of the many tuners now capable of puting on a Paxton kit and then returned to the owner. It appears that many of the owners then immediately get in the vehicle without any practice and try pedal to the metal. They do not wait for the tires to heat up. They do not ease into the throttle. They do not adequately consider road and weather conditions. They take absurd risks on public roads with traffic near them or around them. They have what I refer to as a toy mentality. A supercharged Viper is not a toy. A stock Viper is a streetable race car not a street car that can be raced. A supercharged Viper is a streetable race car that must be driven with far greater care.

So, with the above in mind, here is a list for owners of recently supercharged Vipers:

1. Despite your youthful overflowing enthusiasm at having a blown Viper, it is not a toy. It can far more efficiently kill you and others if not driven with great caution.

2. Go to a large, empty vacant parking lot somewhere and practice launches. Try to break the rear end loose so that you can experience the unsettling feeling of the high torque ass around event. ( At speed this can lead to an out of control, flat spin.) Do this with cold tires. Then do it with tires properly heated up.

3. Go to an empty four lane highway. ( You may have to get up very early in the morning to find such a location). Make sure that the shoulders are flat and unobstructed in case of a spin. Keeping the car under the speed limit, do some testing up to the speed limit. In particular, focus on the first to second shift. Go to a track to practice shifts beyond this point because the speeds will be well in excess of lawful limits.

4. The surge produced by the Paxton above about 3200 RPM keeps coming all the way to redline. Make sure that your suspension is up to the task. Some lifting of the front may occur in some vehicles - particularly Gen II's. For Gen II's the Roe front fascia air duct cures the problem.

5. Check your tire pressure and brake function frequently.

6. Watch for objects - of any size - in the road in front of you. Watch for discoloration in the road. It may indicate a fluid spill on the road. Watch for sand on the road. All of these things, if under you when you hit the throttle, will cause a severe loss of traction.

7. If you do not have the self discipline to do all of the above, do not supercharge your Viper.

Last edited:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're ok and no one esle was hurt. That's obviously the most important thing.

I'm not going to jump on my soap-box and preach safety since I am occassionally guilty of "spirited driving" myself (although never without my sealtbelt in place), but I can't resist the temptation to quote a great and wise man (I think it was Spiderman's step-dad); "With great power comes great responsibility". Maybe DC should put that on the sun visor stickers instead of the usless info they put there now, lol.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This response is not directed at 5THVIPER. It is a general comment. I think that many Viper owners think that supercharging their car is a cool idea but do not have any conception of the additional driving skills needed to drive the enhanced vehicle safely. So what ends up happening is that the more money than brains syndrome takes over. The car is sent to one of the many tuners now capable of puting on a Paxton kit and then returned to the owner. It appears that many of the owners then immediately get in the vehicle without any practice and try pedal to the metal. They do not wait for the tires to heat up. They do not ease into the throttle. They do not adequately consider road and weather conditions. They take absurd risks on public roads with traffic near them or around them. They have what I refer to as a toy mentality. A supercharged Viper is not a toy. A stock Viper is a streetable race car not a street car that can be raced. A supercharged Viper is a streetable race car that must be driven with far greater care.

So, with the above in mind, here is a list for newly blown Viper owners.

1. Despite your youthful overflowing enthusiasm at having a blown Viper, it is not a toy. It can far more efficiently kill you and others if not driven with great caution.

2. Go to a large, empty vacant parking lot somewhere and practice launches. Try to break the rear end loose so that you can experience the unsettling feeling of the high torque ass around event. ( At speed this can lead to an out of control, flat spin.) Do this with cold tires. Then do it with tires properly heated up.

3. Go to an empty four lane highway. ( You may have to get up very early in the morning to find such a location). Make sure that the shoulders are flat and unobstructed in case of a spin. Keeping the car under the speed limit, do some testing up to the speed limit. In particular, focus on the second to third shift. Go to a track to practice shifts beyond this point because the speeds will be well in excess of lawful limits.

4. The surge produced by the Paxton above about 3200 RPM keeps coming all the way to redline. Make sure that your suspension is up to the task. Some lifting of the front may occur in some vehicles - particularly Gen II's. For Gen II's the Roe front fascia air duct cures the problem.

5. Check your tire pressure and brake function frequently.

6. Watch for objects - of any size - in the road in front of you. Watch for discoloration in the road. It may indicate a fluid spill on the road. Watch for sand on the road. All of these things, if under you when you hit the throttle, will cause a severe loss of traction.

7. If you do not have the self discipline to do all of the above, do not supercharge your Viper.

Thank you Bob for saying it like it is. I wanted to write the same ideas here in this forum but I refrained as I was sure I would be shot down again. I can only hope that someone will listen even it it only saves one life.

Bob, You should repost this under all the forums so that everyone can read it. It may save a life.

Now I have to ask the question that has been buggy me.
Why would anyone drive a car on the street without wearing their seat belt?

OP
OP

5THVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I know I have been ripped and ripped over and over about not wearing my seatbelt I am sure everybody here has got into a car not wearing a seatbelt. I have learned my lesson but i really do think in my wreck if I had it on I would be in worse shape than I am in now. I know I am one of the lucky ones and I thank G-d everyday that I am still here.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I know I have been ripped and ripped over and over about not wearing my seatbelt I am sure everybody here has got into a car not wearing a seatbelt. I have learned my lesson but i really do think in my wreck if I had it on I would be in worse shape than I am in now. I know I am one of the lucky ones and I thank G-d everyday that I am still here.

In 1993, NY started the seatbelt law. I made it my New Years resolution to wear my seat belt. I have NEVER been without one since.

You've gotten your one free pass / blue moon occurrence of "better off without one" (and even THAT is debatable looking at the passenger compartment) but you sure as ^&%& won't be that lucky again if you were to ever get into an accident.

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the advice. I am glad to be still be here and talking about it he was looking out for me for sure. I have never been good about wearing my seatbelt believe me I am going to start wearing it. I had a 700hp c5 vette think I will stick with the vipers lol.. I would love to take a driving school I just might do that. I have never wrecked any of my vipers I just like to keep them for a while and get a different one. I am going to drive alot smarter I have a little girl to think about and my family and friends I didnt realize how much everyone cared until this happend made me do alot of thinking.. I just had the paxton supercharger novi 2000 pulled off the car if anybody is interested in it an I also have a polished hennessy intake and throttle body. thanks for ur comments drive safe...:drive:

Almost everyone thinks they know how to drive. In truth very few know how to drive. I am the first to admit I do not know how to drive (with over 20 days of professional schools). Understanding the cars limits is beyond most of us because our limits are so lacking.

Just think of a weekend only tennis player who buys the best racket on the market. Will his game improve? It could actually decline if the racket gives more power at the expense of control and/or sweep spot size.

Sometimes we make poor decisions and the price can be tragic. You see every day on the road with drivers in all types of cars.

Again glad you were spared serious injury!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started wearing a seatbelts at age 15, Hot Roding around in my Dads van. I needed the belt on to keep me from sliding off the vinyl seats but, my parents thought it was because I was a responsible driver.:rolaugh:

Today, I can’t even ride in the back of a taxi without putting on a seatbelt. I feel too uneasy driving without it now.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least you didn't have a passenger with you. They could be the dead one and you could have the lifetime of guilt and manslaughter jail time once they prove your speed with the black box. Lots to be thankful for here.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked at how much time I've got left on this planet...

Hey, What tha Hell!?

Some guy name 5th Viper borrowed summof my time!!

:D

Jay K.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to see it wrecked, but I'm sure glad I didn't do it! Glad you made it out relatively unscathed!

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5thViper, I appoligize for everyone here ripping into you. It takes guts to post something like this and admit to others you made a mistake (we've all made mistakes). Obviously you regret the day and would love to do it over differently. I just can't believe how incensitive some of these guys can be.

I'm glad your OK and no one else was hurt!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4