I Wrecked My 800hp Sc Srt Viper...

08SRTJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know everyone has been ripping on 5THVIPER and rightly so. But what has not been discussed is why this accident happened. This website is a useful tool for viper owners to gain knowledge about their Vipers, and so far what you have learned is to wear your seat belt. I agree. But ths accident would not have happened if 5THVIPER was driving his car in a careful manner. I live in Rockford, Illinois (where the accident happened). This accident was caused by 5THVIPER drag racing his supercharged Viper down Perryville Road. A lady pulled out in front of him and he was faced with the decision of either hitting her car or heading for the median. He chose the median. The bikes that he was racing drove away, and 5THVIPER struck a ditch. This is the story I have heard. After being informed of an accident on Perryville that friday night, I turned on the 10 o'clock news. The headline for the accident, "Viper gets in accident while drag racing on Perryville." The next day I drove by the accident. I saw the skid marks outlined with orange spray paint. I saw where the car collided with the ditch. I thought to myself how did this man make it out alive? I knew something of this sort was going to happen. Two nights before the accident, my friend with a 2006 Red Rousch Mustang called me. He said that he was driving down Perryville and saw a silver Viper in his rear view mirror. Soon enough the Viper was next to him and wanted to race. Next thing he knew the Viper romped on it and was going way over the speed limit (The speed limit on Perryville is 45). My buddy is 19 years old. 5THVIPER had the stupidity to race a 19 year old, let alone a Mustang that could easily have easily been beaten. I am a car fanatic and I knew the situation that was bound to happen. 5THVIPER was taking on anyone he could to prove he had the baddest car in Rockford. And he did. I know 5THVIPER could handle the car. It was his 5th Viper!!!! But when you drag race on public roads, sooner or later something is going to happen. Now I know that this is my first post and I am not 100 percent certain that 5THVIPER was indeed drag racing because I did not witness the accident. And if he didn't, I will gladly remove this post. But from what I have been told, even from our local evening news here in Rockford, he was racing a motorcycle. I hope that 5THVIPER will have the class to respond to this post, and tell us the truth of what really happened.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
I hope that 5THVIPER will have the class to respond to this post, and tell us the truth of what really happened.

A cop made a post like this on another forum I belong to after an accident. Turns out they didn't have enough evidence to charge a member for what they 'believed' happened. And anything he says voluntarily is admissible, right.

08SRTJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A cop made a post like this on another forum I belong to after an accident. Turns out they didn't have enough evidence to charge a member for what they 'believed' happened. And anything he says voluntarily is admissible, right.

Yes.. I, obviously am not a cop and am not wanting to prosecute the man. I'm just saying that I believe the people in this forum were not getting the full story. Because this accident could have been prevented. People need to get on him for drag racing, let alone a seat belt.

Reaction score
Many of us like to use the go pedal and may drive more aggressive then legal or safe. Hope that all of us can drive in manner that is safe. Having good performance driving skills help deal with emergency situations.

Looking ahead of the car three or four seconds is a basic element of PD driving. When going in a turn drivers eyes will be on the turn exit. This sounds simpler but has taken a long time be a habit. Allows time to make driving corrections for situations ahead of you. In the last two years disaster was avoided twice which I credit to the many Skip Barber's and Viper Days experience.

The ideal place to show how fast you and you snake are is Viper Days! Its is a fun event and drivers get to find there limit which hopefully will translate to safer daily driving.

We all make mistakes and bad decisions and no one wants to have an accident. Hope we can all drive within our abilities and the road conditions. Lets keep our cars pointed where we want to go with all wheels planted on the road.

Regarding seat belts - I do not drive until everyone is strapped - no excuses, no exceptions!

Drive Safe and Have fun!

Just Glad the driver escaped serious injury.

OP
OP

5THVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know everybody thinks I was drag racing I WAS NOT drag racing there were motorcycles beside me wanting me to yes I was going to fast and a car pulled out in front of me I did not want to hit the car in front of me and the guy on the bike was beside me and I didnt want to hit the car so I hit the brakes and tried to get over in the other lanes there were three bike so I looked back to make sure the other bikes were back far enough for me to get over I got over and hit the center median because I didnt have control of my car.. I was prolly going about 70 yes to fast I couldnt not believe that everybody says I was drag racing I was like how can u come up with that just because there were some motorcycles beside me first off I have owned many many many motorcycles and I know that a motorcycles is going to be way faster in the short distance I wouldnt even race a motorcycle I know better and believe me I am going to court over this to prove that I wasnt racing. As for the cop that is saying all this you dont know what happend just from what you heard I have heard so many rumors nobody knows nothing they just assume or think they know what happend. And for me racing a Mustang I dont know what ur talking about. there are several vipers in Rockford I have seen atleast 7-8 vipers here. I have not had this car that long like 2months and have not raced anybody in this car.Believe me if I was racing I would have admitted it. It just makes me mad that everybody thinks they know everything and they dont know anything..:mad: I will post it when I go court and show that I was not racing.​

Last edited:

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sure everybody here has got into a car not wearing a seatbelt.

I've always worn a seatbelt, and I always will.

In Finland, they educate people and show freaky pictures of what's left of people that did not wear the seat belt. Then they show the statistics... And then they tell IT'S THE LAW and then all the all Finns abide :D

On the other hand, the first seatbelt laws came into effect in the late 1970's in Finland. Here in the US, things are still 20-30 years behind Europe, which might explain why so many people still don't understand the importance of always wearing the seat belt...

Peter

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in the US, things are still 20-30 years behind Europe, which might explain why so many people still don't understand the importance of always wearing the seat belt...
[hijack]...or getting out of Iraq but that's another story. :omg:[/hijack]

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But ths accident would not have happened if 5THVIPER was driving his car in a careful manner.

This accident was caused by 5THVIPER drag racing his supercharged Viper down Perryville Road.

Now I know that this is my first post and I am not 100 percent certain that 5THVIPER was indeed drag racing because I did not witness the accident. And if he didn't, I will gladly remove this post. But from what I have been told, even from our local evening news here in Rockford, he was racing a motorcycle. I hope that 5THVIPER will have the class to respond to this post, and tell us the truth of what really happened.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this post is the pinnacle of idiocy.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear your okay. Anytime you can walk away from a viper crash its a small miracle. These cars don't leave hardly anyroom for error. Somebody's looking down on you.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some friendly advice. Stop posting about this subject. Zip it and only speak to your lawyer.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some friendly advice. Stop posting about this subject. Zip it and only speak to your lawyer.

When it rains, it pours!! :rain: :rain: :rain:

5th Viper, please take Bobpantax's advice to heart. :quiet: :quiet: :quiet:

It is worth it's weight in gold.

Too much has been said here already and now the rumor mill is spinning faster than a turbo impeller at full boost.

Hearsay and speculation do not help anybody here.

Sad to see a thread initially posted with uncanny candor degenerate into this.

The main lesson to be learned on this thread is very simply this:

Wear your seatbelts!

In very rare cases, one can get ejected and survive with minor injuries.

Quite often, one can get ejected only to be crushed by the vehicle rolling over the hapless "ejectee" a split-second later.

Not good! :nono:

OP
OP

5THVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was done posting I didnt want to get into what happend or why the wrecked happend. Then a guy posted what he thought he Knew and I just wanted to set the story straight, I am done posting on this matter there has been enough said. thanks for everybodys post and advice. :2tu:

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big soapboxes, little minded people!

If this is the worse thing wrong you've done in your life, you've lived a great life.
Let's see everyone else's skeleton's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know everyone has been ripping on 5THVIPER and rightly so. But what has not been discussed is why this accident happened. This website is a useful tool for viper owners to gain knowledge about their Vipers, and so far what you have learned is to wear your seat belt. I agree. But ths accident would not have happened if 5THVIPER was driving his car in a careful manner. I live in Rockford, Illinois (where the accident happened). This accident was caused by 5THVIPER drag racing his supercharged Viper down Perryville Road. A lady pulled out in front of him and he was faced with the decision of either hitting her car or heading for the median. He chose the median. The bikes that he was racing drove away, and 5THVIPER struck a ditch. This is the story I have heard. After being informed of an accident on Perryville that friday night, I turned on the 10 o'clock news. The headline for the accident, "Viper gets in accident while drag racing on Perryville." The next day I drove by the accident. I saw the skid marks outlined with orange spray paint. I saw where the car collided with the ditch. I thought to myself how did this man make it out alive? I knew something of this sort was going to happen. Two nights before the accident, my friend with a 2006 Red Rousch Mustang called me. He said that he was driving down Perryville and saw a silver Viper in his rear view mirror. Soon enough the Viper was next to him and wanted to race. Next thing he knew the Viper romped on it and was going way over the speed limit (The speed limit on Perryville is 45). My buddy is 19 years old. 5THVIPER had the stupidity to race a 19 year old, let alone a Mustang that could easily have easily been beaten. I am a car fanatic and I knew the situation that was bound to happen. 5THVIPER was taking on anyone he could to prove he had the baddest car in Rockford. And he did. I know 5THVIPER could handle the car. It was his 5th Viper!!!! But when you drag race on public roads, sooner or later something is going to happen. Now I know that this is my first post and I am not 100 percent certain that 5THVIPER was indeed drag racing because I did not witness the accident. And if he didn't, I will gladly remove this post. But from what I have been told, even from our local evening news here in Rockford, he was racing a motorcycle. I hope that 5THVIPER will have the class to respond to this post, and tell us the truth of what really happened.

Idiot.......

RevLimit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow..

I am a proud new (first) owner of a 2003 red viper. I have been doing lots of reading to learn as much as possible.

This thread has been very enlightening. Not only by the events but an insight into alot of the forum members. It is a very eye opening experience for me.

I am glad 5thViper made it through the wreck but it sounds like he still has alot of aftermath to deal with. Good Luck with everything bud.

I currenly own a stock 2002 WS6 TA convertible. A street car that I can take to the track. it was an interesting statement that was made about the viper being a racecar that is streetable. A new prospective thats for sure.

Thanks for all the post guys from a newbie.

jim

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best seatbelt reasoning I ever heard was:

If you think you're big and strong, and can just brace yourself in a crash instead of wearing a seatbelt, think about running (all of 10-15mph?) as fast as you can into the side of your house, putting your arms out in front of you at the last second to brace and stop yourself, and imagine what the outcome would be..

A good analogy for teenage drivers who think they're immortal.

----------------------------------

2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news to here you're ok and nothing worse happened. Shame to see such a nice car wasted but the important thing is you survived because the cars are always replaceable. Best regards with your new SRT or whatever you might get in the future.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
About seatbelts-
A guy in a big 70's Buick pulled out directly in front of me, while I was driving my 1966 VW Bug. I was doing about 35 mph, and came to a dead stop against his driver's door, in about 1 foot of crumple space. Every part of my body kept moving forward, my feet, hands, head, torso, etc. When the car stops, your body doesn't stop! It hits the front interior of the car, like at 35 mph! In my case, my aftermarket shoulder belt snapped, my head broke the windshield, my left foot got twisted on the early Bug's characteristically intrusive fenderwell, my thumbs got bent backwards where I was holding the steering wheel. I ended up with a steering wheel shaped bruise on my chest, and seat belt shaped brusies, too.

The point being, is that a human cannot brace themselves, even at "only" 35 mph. Should be painfully obvious, I know, but surprisingly, myths persist. I offer this just in case anyone still doesn't "get it".

michaelnouri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to here about your accident, not many gen 3 cars make it to license renewals or inspection after the first year of sales.
i bought over 47 wrecked gen 3 and they were all hammered and only two deaths in these vehicles.

also is the car pulled back to the insurance company?
If not contact me, i buy them 1866-XVIPERS

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are with us.

How come you have never signed and talked with us here before... 6 Vipers and only a few posts? Welcome!

Jason

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your very lucky to say the least. You said you were not wearing the safety belts. How did the factory rollbar hold up? was ther contact with it ? I have Autoform bars in my 04 but curious if the factory ones are any good they seem really weak when I took them off.