Front license plates?

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i live in maryland and i'm required to have a front license plate (i'm pretty sure.) what do you guys who live in a simmilar state do? i'd prefer to just not have one. i really kills the front end's look. do you think the police will give me a hard time if i'm not "doing" anything else (like going a buck thirty or doing donuts in a parking lot) LOL! i'd never do either of those things!

lastly (and completely unrelated) any idea who was out in a red srt vert on saturday in the "four corners" area of baltimre county, maryland)?

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Ohio and it's a requirement here. $100 ticket. I haven't had a front plate on my Viper or my Corvettes for over 5 years and nobody has said anything to me about it. knock on wood. So if I got a ticket today, it means I paid $20 a year to have no front plate. Worth it to me! :)

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the rubber slipon bracket from Jon at Parts Rack, then mount the plate on the rubber bracket and keep it in the truck until you get stopped then...:omg: officer I just forgot to put it back on it is in the trunk let me get it out and put it on, Thank you officer!

I got stopped the other day the first time that I had the Viper out and was taking it to Roanoke for some service. I think he just wanted to look at the car but used the no plate as an excuse.:dunno: A friend of mine said he has a neighbor that is a state police officer that has a vette and never had a front plate on it so if the cops can get by with it so should the rest of us.:2tu: Your right a front plate messes with the lines of the car. I hate a front plate on it and will continue to run without it.:nono: I guess if i get a ticket so be it but I hope it never happens.

gunther

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in CA where front plates are required. I have still not put the front plate on my car because I know the car look better without it.

However - I know that I am giving the cops a reason to pull me over. My big fear is that they will pull me over for the missing plates and then find other problems.

It's a risky practice at best.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Iowa requires front plates. I built an aluminum clamp on bracket to hold my plate.

I have been pulled over for a SLANTED front plate on my '69 Corvette, so I don't want to press my luck with my Viper.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most cops are true blooded Americans and the Viper is as true blooded American as it comes. Even cops dont like to see the American beast of sports cars defaced by that front plate. I have never put mine on, never been stopped. But you know the saying...never say never!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated above buy the rubber slip on bracket from Jon at Parts Rack. I have one and leave it in my trunk as I do not want to block the air flow into the radiator. I also do not want to drill holes into the front bumper to mount the factory plate mount. I have been stopped here in Ct and have told the cop that I ran the viper through a car wash earlier and I forgot to put the plate back on. It has worked every time.

Viperholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the plate on the bracket in the trunk. That is a standard and resonably safe way to get around the front plate problem

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have our front license plate under the passenger side floor mat. Yeah--we're supposed to have it also on the front, but we don't want to thus far deface the front of the Viper, as we didn't do it to the Vettes we had either. Yep, it's a risk we're willing to take!
~juli~

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have it on permanently. It has saved me numerous times when a cop has specifically checked on it. I worry more about being harassed than the look of my Viper. YMMV.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never had one (I live in Texas) and don't plan on getting one. If I ever get stopped, I'll use the excuse: "adding a front plate causes these cars to overheat". Hope it works!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you drive normally, they won't pull you over. Think about it- they have to see the rear license plate to know you are in-state and should have a front plate on.

And, on the occasion that (I've only heard about this anectodally...) you get pulled over for something else, you can steer the conversation to the front plate as the lesser of many evils. They get to write a ticket and be stern, you don't get any points.