Starting delays

badram1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone wityh a 95 or so, that takes a while to start? Mine will crank and crank and crank, then finally start. It seems to idle rough also. I've changed plugs and wires and still the same..

Thanks..

Roger

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your check valve in the fuel tank is bad. it lets the fuel drain back into the tank. i think Tom on this site was developing something to fix this. or replace your fuel pump that the check valve is part of.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there is a problem with the fuel check valve on some cars. It fails, allowing the fuel in the lines to drain back into the tank when the car is off.

If you cycle your fuel pump before starting by turning the key on/off a few times, does it fire right up? If so, you need the fix that one of the guys here came up with that keeps your pump running for 10 seconds instead of the usual 2. This primes the lines so that they don't have to be primed while the engine is cranking. I'll see if I can find reference to it and get you a link.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently installed one of Tom's "primer timers" on my '97 GTS and it works just as advertised. It runs the pump for 10 seconds when the key turned on (instead of the usual 1 second) and this refills the lines and eliminates any vapors that may occur during a hot soak.

I highly recommend it if a faulty check valve is the problem.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
On my previous '95, I had a similar problem. Turns out the battery was my problem. It was accompanied by the engine turning over slower than usual. It would take 2-3 seconds to start. With a new battery it fired immediately. If you're sure the battery's not the culprit, see above posts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456