Why not have control

Reaction score
I have owned my viper now 8 months and have put maybe 3500 very exciting miles on it. Last sunday on Rte 287 in north Jersey I got into a thing with a young kid in a seriously modded mustang. I am 65 and he is maybe 25. Wife was asleep in the pass seat. We leveled off at 110 he thought he had conquered the Bronx, I downshifted several gears and left him like he was going backwards. Several miles ahead i backed off to 110 and let him pull next to me his girl friend was disgusted and waved me to back off. Just then my wife woke and said are you doing over 100 again I said close go back to sleep. I am a crummy driver but the viper gives me false courage. About every 2 weeks we read of another viper single car fatality. Why are all of you it seems against stability control. The new 600 HP viper will still be without it. How long does Dodge think they can get away without it. There are 35000 vettes made every year and there are only 19000 vipers made in 16 years yet it appears that more people die in Viper single car crashes than vettes. The problem is the viper sticks better than the flimsy vette but when it lets go your screwed. If we add all the viper fatalities in the last 16 years of viper production it would be a serious percentage. How many vipers have died since initial production began. I am thinking seriously of keeping my viper for garage furniture and going back to a vette forspirited driving. I know most of you will not be happy with this post but my wife reads the forum and is becoming more nervous about our time in the viper, which we cherish. Thanks for listening Rich here in NJ

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Viper should have a defeatable traction control system. All the new Ferarris have it (599 GTB, F430) so I don't buy that it is not in keeping with a real sports car.

Also Traction control is great if you ever want to attend a HPDE and don't want to total your car if you are a beginner.

Reaction score
Stability control will not make a unsafe driver safer, but may give an unsafe driver a false sense of security. The Viper is a sports car for people who like performance and want to control the car. No electronic nanny wanted! If you like to drive enthusiastically learn how to drive. Be responsible for your cars control, it is your life not a computers life. IMHO

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Fred. If you want to drive your car to the limits then learn how to use the power. The problem is that alot of people who aren't used to the power try to treat it as the Corvette or other high powered car they had. But then again the Viper is not any of those supposedly high powered cars and the torque is more than these individuals were used to. I came from the Vette crowd and I am still learning how to properly use the power of this beast but let me tell you I am loving every minute of it. I suggest you go to some track events and learn how to drive the car. You will learn so much about the car that you will develop a new respect for the car and yourself as well. And as for the Vette, have you read all of the posts about the new Z06 owners who have wrecked due to the amount of torque? What it really comes down to is that your skills aren't up to the power of the car yet. You have to look at the Viper as a loaded gun at all times. You are the one who pulls the trigger and does something that causes it to lose control. I can honestly say that from the moment I got behind the steering wheel of my Viper I knew instantly why so many people swear by the car. One of the guys in our local Viper club asked me what I thought of the car after a few runs at my first driving event. I promptly told him that it was the most fun I have had since my wedding night. Every time I get in and drive that car I have one question that I always ask myself and that is "Why did I wait so long to get one in the first place?".

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe most vette drivers turn off the traction control during spirited occasions, not to mention many leave it off daily in the event of needing traction and speed in some cases like, pulling out onto streets in traffic, where traction control will bog you down. :eater:

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where the hell is Chuck ?..........................I heard traction control will be mandatory on all cars by 2012

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had plenty of Corvettes and now this Viper. I see nothing wrong with a factory installed traction control system. If you don't want it, disable it. Simple as that. I turned my traction control off first thing getting in my vett's and would do the same on the Viper. But I would feel much more comfortable letting my wife drive the car with it on.

I've never had a stock Viper, but I can tell you when the roads tip below 50 Degrees and I'm not even remotely close to giving it much throttle the back end will break traction.

If I had traction control on those cold days, I would use it.

What we are talking about is not limiting the quality of your car, but 90% of viper owners probably don't race their cars or use the car for what it was made. I feel many of those individuals would benifit from the safety of the system.

Traction control will not make a unsafe driver safer. It will make a lapse in judgement not so deadly. Just becuase you and I may be able to handle the power, doesn't mean everybody can. Don't say they shouldn't buy the car, because if they didn't Vipers wouldn't be built.

Just my .02 cents
Jason

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
forget that stuff and learn to drive the car ya got. it takes seat time and common sense.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had Vettes (96/01) and still like them but you could never truly turn off all the traction aids (active handling stays on) and the traction control you have to keeo turning off. I think it's good for bad weather though. The thing that bothers me about my Viper is the wicked tendency for the read end to swing around once the traction is exceeded as well as the wagging under hard acceleration. Better tires and rear end would help this instead of "nanny aids" which Dodge did address for the 2008. I'm hoping we can get these for our pre-2008s.

Reaction score
Bob Lutz gave Maurice Liang a 2005 Vette for a weekend - Viper Days @ Thunderhill. The electronic nanny in the off position still controlled the clutch and power when the car was pushed by guys who knew how to drive. The report back from a couple races was not good as they could not drive the car, in turns, harder then the computer would allow.

If you want a Nanny instead of learning how to drive buy a Corvette or other nanny controlled car. I was talking with a professional Racing Instructor and Racer who said that electronic nannies do not lower the accident rate because drivers tend to be more aggressive and depend on the nanny to save their hides.

For drivers clueless about vehicle dynamics a electronic nanny may be beneficial. For driving enthusiast what is the point of the nanny? Do you want to drive or do you want to be driven? My Jeep(SRT8) came with a nanny which is okay as I will not drive in a manner to engage the nanny.

If you feel the nanny will save you from poor judgement I have a bridge to sell.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Wicked - what's wrong with having it and being able to turn it off? I consider myself an above average driver but it would have probably saved me - cold tires/road + a momentary "lapse in judgement" (heavy foot when shifting) + guardrail that would not get out of the way = wrecked.

I hear the other side as well...would I have had it on if it were available? If I were better than "above average" would I need it? Who knows but I don't think that having some sort of traction control, which could be turned on/off, would harm the Viper's reputation.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the Viper survives long enough as a platform, it eventually will have TC/SC whether we like it or not. Personally, I'm fine without it, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to make it available as an option. I could even live with it as standard equipment so long as it was fully defeatable.

While I agree that it won't save people from idiotic driving, it might save you if a deer jumped out in the road, a child darts out into the street, a car runs a red light, you round a bend to find a tree laying across the road, you hit a patch of black ice or encounter any number of other unpredictable situations.

A lot of people slammed anti-lock brakes when they first came out as an unneccessary nannie, but look at how well that has turned out.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob Lutz gave Maurice Liang a 2005 Vette for a weekend - Viper Days @ Thunderhill. The electronic nanny in the off position still controlled the clutch and power when the car was pushed by guys who knew how to drive. The report back from a couple races was not good as they could not drive the car, in turns, harder then the computer would allow.

If you want a Nanny instead of learning how to drive buy a Corvette or other nanny controlled car. I was talking with a professional Racing Instructor and Racer who said that electronic nannies do not lower the accident rate because drivers tend to be more aggressive and depend on the nanny to save their hides.

For drivers clueless about vehicle dynamics a electronic nanny may be beneficial. For driving enthusiast what is the point of the nanny? Do you want to drive or do you want to be driven? My Jeep(SRT8) came with a nanny which is okay as I will not drive in a manner to engage the nanny.
If you feel the nanny will save you from poor judgement I have a bridge to sell.
:2tu:HPDE are the best investment of yourself

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traction Control has not saved many C5 ZO6 vettes during moist/wet/ or cold street conditions...this mostly due to the tire tread these cars came with, and many were driving normally. Better tires were the answer. Goodyears, especially the EMT's were lousy.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TC is a placebo. And so is ABS to a great extent. If you are going fast enough to kill yourself no electronic nanny is gonna save you as well as good driving skill.

And there are a few reasons against "defeatable" TC, etc.
First, it isn't Viper. The Viper is a purists' sportscar.
Second, more crap on our Vipers that we won't use.
Third, more crap to increase cost - both MSRP and maintenance.
Fourth, more crap to go wrong. No matter how well something is built, more crap = more maintenance. Look at the threads regarding something as simple as tire pressure sensors. I wanna be able to throw my track wheels on and go, I don't wanna fiddle with some idiot light.

These cars are built for us guys (and gals) that wanna go to the track. If you guys wanna use them for picking up groceries go ahead, but don't ruin things for us. I can just imagine losing track time because some electronic nanny wasn't functioning correctly. When it happens I'll thank all you posers* who don't have a clue of how to handle one of these magnificant machines but you bought one anyway.

You want TC and all that crap, GM makes a wonderful car just for you. Buy it. Please buy it.

* not meaning to offend all posers, just the ones that bought the wrong car and now whine about how it is too much of a beast for them to handle and wanna ruin things for the rest of us.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Bentley GT about 2 weeks ago, it has 552 twin turbo-charged hp, traction and stability control. Yes, it is much easier to drive than my Viper, even at high speeds....as long as I stay in a straight line. When I want to drive a car, I get in my Bentley. When I want to drive a SPORTS CAR, I jump in the Viper. The Viper is a drivers car, practically the only high end pure drivers car left. The Viper IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. People that cannot handle this car simply need to buy something else, like a Mustang or a Vette or a Ferrari. For the best blend of driver and car...it takes a serious driver to handle the Viper, just like it takes a serious rider to handle a 1400cc Kawasaki Ninja....casual riders have no business buying a bike like that, and Kawasaki is not going to change the bike so that riders that have no business buying it crash less. So it goes w/ the Viper as well. Buy it and learn to drive it, then there will be less crashes and much more enjoyment!

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Response to Chuck

Do you think having someone die in a limited production Viper every two weeks is good for the Marque you are wrong. Us people that can't handle a car like a viper, you say should go buy the other brand and leave you and your car alone. Just think if we all did that how long would dodge be selling vipers. How long do you think insurance companies will be able to insure vipers. Out of the 19000 sold in 16 years how many actually see serious track time. If dodge only sold that many they couldn't afford to keep the brand alive. Us bad viper drivers with a few dollars in our pockets keep the marque alive. Vettes have had controls for over ten years and people have no problem on the track. You probably complained about seat belts, and unleaded gas and abs brakes as well. I don't care how great a driver you think you are. When you are accellerating and one rear tire hits a crack in the road and your car changes direction suddenly heading for the guard rail or a tree it's almost impossible for most of us mortals to redirect the car straight like stability control can. I think anyone who rejects the idea of controls either never pushes the car to the limits or is just full of himself.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Response to Chuck

Do you think having someone die in a limited production Viper every two weeks is good for the Marque you are wrong. Us people that can't handle a car like a viper, you say should go buy the other brand and leave you and your car alone. Just think if we all did that how long would dodge be selling vipers. How long do you think insurance companies will be able to insure vipers. Out of the 19000 sold in 16 years how many actually see serious track time. If dodge only sold that many they couldn't afford to keep the brand alive. Us bad viper drivers with a few dollars in our pockets keep the marque alive. Vettes have had controls for over ten years and people have no problem on the track. You probably complained about seat belts, and unleaded gas and abs brakes as well. I don't care how great a driver you think you are. When you are accellerating and one rear tire hits a crack in the road and your car changes direction suddenly heading for the guard rail or a tree it's almost impossible for most of us mortals to redirect the car straight like stability control can. I think anyone who rejects the idea of controls either never pushes the car to the limits or is just full of himself.
I agree wholeheartedly with Chuck and Black Mamba. What you stated in your first post was the clue to all of this. You stated you were driving at high excessive speed on a highway racing a Mustang I believe. Maybe you should get more seat time behind the car before you start driving it like that. These cars are not Corvettes nor Mustangs. They are all about using "driver skill" to put the rubber/power to the ground. Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you qualify to drive one of the best cars ever made. You are expecting the same subtleness as a Corvette and the majority of Viper drivers want the car to retain it's raw animal power. They want the driver to be the controlling factor and not a computer to make sure they don't do something stupid. You would be amazed at how many people were blaming their Z06 TCS when they lost control of their vehicle rather than their own lack of being able to handle the power. It sounds to me like you should have bought you another Corvette.

So let me answer a few of your questions that I highlighted above.

1.) I think you need to talk to more Viper owners because you will find that the majority do some kind of performance driving in their car. Our club held their monthly meeting at the track in fact.
2.) I think number 1 actually answers this question.
3.)Number three isn't a question but more of a statement and yet completely false. The reason most Corvettes with TCS don't have problems is because the vast majority of Corvettes don't go to the track. I am currently member of 3 Corvette Clubs and I can tell you the majority do not track their car but instead worry about which wax to use. In fact one of the clubs has stated that they don't want to be associated with racing. Big mistake in my book and which is why the average age in the club is about 55. On the other hand scroll through some of the posts and you will see that a vast majority of the people on this board track their car or have tracked them at an HPDE.
4.) Number 4 wasn't a question but more of a statement again in which you clearly stated accelerating, I know the car follows ruts but that is because of those big tires that will hug the track like a train on rails. When you drive a Corvette it is like driving a Cadillac and doesn't feel like a sports car. I have 2 Corvettes still and I can tell you that from personal knowledge and experience. I admit I am a woos when it comes to driving in bumper to bumper traffic. During these times I will drive one of the Corvettes but when I want to experience "Real" driving it is the Viper.
5.) And now for number 5, this is where you are wrong in the worst way. In fact it is just the opposite. Pushing your car to the limit on the track will show you what the majority have been trying to say all along. Try to push your car to the limit with TCS on and it isn't going to happen at all.

If you want to truly experience what your Viper can do, take it to a track for an HPDE and learn the cars capabilities. Don't blame the car for your lack of abilities. In fact, once you learn what your car is capable of you will be going to the track all the time because there is simply nothing like it. Shoot, all it took for me was one time to the track and I became hooked. What you have to realize is that this car isn't like all of the other high HP cars. It is like a race car that you can drive on the street. The limiting factor isn't the car it's the driver.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So according to some here Ferarris, Porsches. Lambhorginis, and Corvettes are not real sports car because they have traction control.

In 1992 the Viper had no windows, no ABS and no A/C and no airbags. None of these have altered it's "sports car" designation and neither will adding a DEFEATABLE Traction COntrol system.

It's a moot point as it will have TC in 2012 anyway.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So according to some here Ferarris, Porsches. Lambhorginis, and Corvettes are not real sports car because they have traction control.

In 1992 the Viper had no windows, no ABS and no A/C and no airbags. None of these have altered it's "sports car" designation and neither will adding a DEFEATABLE Traction COntrol system.

It's a moot point as it will have TC in 2012 anyway.
It will have TC b/c of the govt, not b/c drivers want it. The Viper is a race car, not some rich boys 4000 lb toy that will get its ass kicked in a street dogfight (ahem....Murcielago), not that I encourage that kind of thing. There is a difference between an overpriced exotic that is kinda fast and kinda cute, and a pure sports car that requires the driver to have skill. Why not have TC and stability control at NASCAR, or Indy? Hell, it would make those cars safer and we would see less crashes also. The Viper is a race car that happens to be street legal. And let me take off my politically correct hat for a minute and just say this....Mr. All Car Guy...you are 65 and probably of a demographic more suited to my Bentley. Although there are some guys of your age and demographic taking sports cars to the track, there are not many. I have no business buying a Buick and complaining it will not drive and handle like a Viper, and you have no business buying a Viper and complaining it will not drive and handle like a Buick.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of Vipers are street cars and not taken to the track - look at how many low mileage ones are around, etc. Most buy them to take a ride on a sunny day and that's it. Sure some go to track events but they are the minority. I would guess the numbers are about the same as those who own 4x4s - only a very small number of owners take them off road.

With that said, the vast majority would benefit from traction control and if the Viper continues to be made it will have it in the future, period.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pretty much, yes.

But not all Porsches have TC. And there are a few Ferraris that will be without it next year, F1 Ferraris that is. Which also don't have ABS. Oh gasp!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of Vipers are street cars and not taken to the track -

That is questionable but it doesn't matter. It is the track rats that have supported organizations like Viper Days and the Viper Racing League for more than ten years that keep the image and legend healthy. Not the garage queens.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TC/stability control has really evolved over the past couple years. I get a new car every 6-8 months and I am amazed at the difference between the early versions and todays. In the past, it would 'kick in' and feel all mechanical. Today, I have to INTENTIONALLY do something REALLY stupid to tell it's there. I like testing it, pushing hard into a corner then yanking the wheel towards the edge of the road just to see what happens. It hasn't failed me yet. Wet roads are really fun and I can easily outrun other cars because I know I can push to 99% safely. I will never push the Viper near 100% again. I've learned the hard lessons of this car and I do not care to explore them on public roads. The thought of serious injury (much less death) limits my fun.

Reaction score
Response to Chuck

Do you think having someone die in a limited production Viper every two weeks is good for the Marque you are wrong. Us people that can't handle a car like a viper, you say should go buy the other brand and leave you and your car alone.

What is the motive for the above comment? No one has suggested that they want to see accidents let alone fatalities. Intellectually void comment with zero text to support it!
We encourage owners of all types of performance cars to leard how to drive. With or with an electronic Nanny!

Just think if we all did that how long would dodge be selling vipers. How long do you think insurance companies will be able to insure vipers. Out of the 19000 sold in 16 years how many actually see serious track time. If dodge only sold that many they couldn't afford to keep the brand alive. Us bad viper drivers with a few dollars in our pockets keep the marque alive.

You Think? Keep on dreaming! I guess it is this group that was served with the 2008 Viper? I think Not!

Vettes have had controls for over ten years and people have no problem on the track.

This is not a true statement! At Viper days in CA over the past three years there have been only a hand full of vetts and those with the Nanny had problems with her taking control when the driver wanted to keep control and that is with her turned off! People will have no problem if they drive at 60%-80% of the capability of a good driver.

You probably complained about seat belts, and unleaded gas and abs brakes as well.

Another empty comment supported by nothing - Why a falso statement with no basis. Do a search!

I don't care how great a driver you think you are. When you are accellerating and one rear tire hits a crack in the road and your car changes direction suddenly heading for the guard rail or a tree it's almost impossible for most of us mortals to redirect the car straight like stability control can.
What experience do you have to support this statement? How many high performance driving schools have you taken? How many track days have you completed?

I think anyone who rejects the idea of controls either never pushes the car to the limits or is just full of himself.

I push 100% car control by the driver! Anyone who thinks a Nanny will make them faster or protect them from a laps of good judgement is dreaming!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck.....you are not going to be pushing the limit in wet conditions in a viper. You have to look at the backround and history of the car. Go to driving school...get some seat time to understand the limits of both you and the car. A viper is essence is a high performance race car so you have to understand its capabilities and weaknesses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave