Mopar race exhaust and race engine controller

viperflex

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone done the Mopar race exhaust and race engine controller? What does the race engine controller do? What kind of HP/TQ numbers? How is the install - easy-hard? Thanks

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Mopar exhaust. I was using the controller but it will not control the ac so I had it taken out.

Carleton
-----------------------
2002 RT (Sold)
2005 Commemorative Edition #56
Mopar Race Exhaust, Mopar Shifter, DC Reflash
K&Ns, 170* T-Stat, Quaife, 355s, Al. Flywheel
Asanti 20" AF112s , PS2s, 478rwhp/501rwtq

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the Mopar race controller, exhaust and a cam in and I did have problems with the ac. It vented initially, the low freon caused it to freeze up after a while. My viper tech here got with DC and they decided to lower freon from 1lb to .08lbs and it seems to work fine now although, I haven't been on a road trip again. Don't have the current numbers right now, but I am taking it to get Dyno'd tonight after work.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also you will not get the maximum effect of the race controller with out a cam change(it is set up to work in conjuction with race exhuast and cam). your best bet (if you are not changing the cam also) will be to get the DC reflash.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a comp coupe cam and Mopar racing controller installed at Roanoke before shipment. The car dyno'ed at 439.5 rwhp, which I understand is right at that of stock. That is with the Corsa track exhaust. All in all, not a significant improvement, if any.

OP
OP
V

viperflex

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put the Mopar race controller, exhaust and a cam in and I did have problems with the ac. It vented initially, the low freon caused it to freeze up after a while. My viper tech here got with DC and they decided to lower freon from 1lb to .08lbs and it seems to work fine now although, I haven't been on a road trip again. Don't have the current numbers right now, but I am taking it to get Dyno'd tonight after work.

05Viper,
Fill us in with your dyno results! Thanks

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Scoop: I was not impressed with my drag experience, no significant improvement.
(I know it is not a Dragster, but there is a strip local and it is fun and convienient weekend fun.) I am getting 8.2/8.3 ET's on 1/8mile strip, of course my tires are gettin old, 23000 on the original equipment.
Now to the Dyno: on a local Dyno jet, not impressed either based on what I was told to expect or what I actually expected - Max pwr 456.9, Max Torque 467.6 and it looked to be rich at 11.5.
I do not fully understand all the numbers but I was definatelly expecting more as was my Viper Tech based on what DC told us (cough/choke 700HP). I was definately not expecting all of the 700 but would like to have seen 600. If I do the math right, at 15% I believe I am getting 525 at the flywheel. I am going to find another place to Dyno just to get a second opinion since we are not confident with where I brought it for this one. If anyone can tell me some place reasonably close to the Florida panhandle that Dyno's Vipers I would like to know.
For that matter, can anyone that understands the benifits of the race cam, tell me what I should expect with this setup? I copied the page from the performance catalog that gives the cam specs.

Last edited:

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have another question about Dynoing: What is the best way to do it? This guy had me get it to 2000rpms in 4th, then floor it until I hit 6000rpms, then hit the clutch. I have heard to start in 3rd and shift to 4th. What is the standard?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you more than likely wont be doing it, the company that owns the dyno will have there employee driving the car. the top gear used is usually 4th because they try to use the gear that has a 1:1 drive ratio.

OP
OP
V

viperflex

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Scoop: I was not impressed with my drag experience, no significant improvement.
(I know it is not a Dragster, but there is a strip local and it is fun and convienient weekend fun.) I am getting 8.2/8.3 ET's on 1/8mile strip, of course my tires are gettin old, 23000 on the original equipment.
Now to the Dyno: on a local Dyno jet, not impressed either based on what I was told to expect or what I actually expected - Max pwr 456.9, Max Torque 467.6 and it looked to be rich at 11.5.
I do not fully understand all the numbers but I was definatelly expecting more as was my Viper Tech based on what DC told us (cough/choke 700HP). I was definately not expecting all of the 700 but would like to have seen 600. If I do the math right, at 15% I believe I am getting 525 at the flywheel. I am going to find another place to Dyno just to get a second opinion since we are not confident with where I brought it for this one. If anyone can tell me some place reasonably close to the Florida panhandle that Dyno's Vipers I would like to know.
For that matter, can anyone that understands the benifits of the race cam, tell me what I should expect with this setup? I copied the page from the performance catalog that gives the cam specs.

05Viper - I was expecting more also. How many miles did you have with the controller/exhaust before the dyno? I was told you need to get a good 120 miles in for everything to fully adjust.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DC performance flash may be good for 10-14 rwhp on a basically stock car(like mine) that only have K & N, and Corsa(with cats). my numbers were almost idenical to "05Viper's" i made 456rwhp and 480+rwtq

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had over 2000 miles on the new equipment! More than enough to breakin and adjust. Like I said, disappointed, kind of feel like it was a waste of money as far as upgrades go. I do like the sound much better though, so not a total loss. The Mopar headers are made by Belanger and have an interesting piece where the collectors are. If i knew how to post a picture I would show you guys. It is a twisted cone piece. Still would like to hear from someone who can tell me what that set up should make in HP. I really wish I had Dyno'd before the upgrades too!

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DC performance flash may be good for 10-14 rwhp on a basically stock car(like mine) that only have K & N, and Corsa(with cats). my numbers were almost idenical to "05Viper's" i made 456rwhp and 480+rwtq

I would guess that is the increase in peak power, but I can assure you between 3000 and 5000 the increase is greater and noticeable. The DC updrade is by far my best peformance mod, especially for a stock engine.

OP
OP
V

viperflex

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just talked with Mopar and was told they just fixed the race engine controller, so the A/C works the way it should. The new/updated one has a (AB) at the end of the part number.

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing noone has seen in print or heard from mopar on what the hp should be with the mopar race setup. I can't find out anything.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the Mopar Performance Catalog, for the Race Engine Controller, Race Camshaft, and Race Exhaust System:

"Total performance increase when Controller, Camshaft and Exhaust are used together:

Horsepower increase = 44bhp at 4,800 rpm
Torque increase = 48 ft-lbs. of torque at 4,800 rpm"

Ron

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Mopar catalog is accurate, that means my 05 SRT10 began life with 401.5 RWHP, using 15% loss to the wheels. I just don't think the cam, controller and exhaust provide the extra HP that is claimed.

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, the increase in hp for the cost I don't think is a good exchange. I would do it different if I were to do it over. The mopar race equipment just isn't worth the cost.