Keegan's Bash for Cash Event, April 29th, 2007

Tim Zimmerman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With well over a thousand spectators, the police department, fire department, and even a medivac helicopter all on site for the event, here's how the drag race on the Conway, Arkansas city streets went down.

The first run down the track was between Don Smith and myself as we had local "celebrities" in our passenger seats. Don took a local disc jockey and he stuck me with the Conway Chief of Police (ever done a burnout in your local community accompanied by it's Chief of Police?), the winner of this race was to compete with a stock Z06 later in the day, Don took the flag. And then the "official" competition began.

Race #1 I, in my stock 1997 GTS, was up against a C-5 with drag slicks and a "bottle" (nitrous), his vanity plate read "VPR ETR", a short 10 seconds later and he had to go change that plate (and perhaps his pants), lucky for me he never hit the bottle.

Race #2 Mike Lofton, in his 2005 stock SRT, lined up against another C-5, this one was supercharged, again the Viper prevailed as the vette driver spun for a good 200 ft, and a calm Mike Lofton "smoked" him.

Race #3 Jim Camp, in his stock 2002 GTS, lined up against another C-5 Supercharged vette. This time the vette got good traction and edged out Jim.

Race # 4 Event organizer Don Smith, in his stock 2005 SRT-10, lined up against a stock C-6, Z06, the race was very close but the vette prevailed.

Race #5 This put the winner of race 1 & 2 against each other, so Mike Lofton and I lined up for an all Viper drag. Initially I had Mike by a car length but I missed 3rd and went into 5th, Mike then FLEW by me.

Race # 6 Winners of race 3 & 4 went up against each other with the stock Z06 coming out on top. This set up the championship race against our own Mike Lofton and the Z06.

Before the final race Don had set up a "courtesy" race between the winner of the celebrity race (Don) and a brand new 2007 Z06, the Z06 still had the temp tag on the car. This put a stock SRT-10 heads up against a stock Z06. Don beat the Z06 w/ no problem.

Final Championship race- With Don just proving a stock SRT could beat a stock Z06, the stage was set for Mike Lofton in his stock SRT10 to finish off the stock Z06 he was up against. The race was nose to nose until....................................... Mike pulled a "Tim" and missed 3rd gear giving the vette the edge.

The event was awesome, from he drags we went to a car show. At the end of the day 4 trophies were awarded, the vettes received the drag trophy, but the Vipers walked with the other 3 trophies. Mike Lofton one best of show with the Candy Raffle Orange Viper, The Mid-South Club won the most money raised for the Arkansas Children's Hospital, beating out the Corvette Club by over $200 in spite of the fact that there were 3 to 4 times as many Vette owners there as Viper owners. The only conclusion I could draw was that vette owners spend all their money on performance upgrades like nitrous and superchargers just to TRY and keep pace with stock Vipers???

Last trophy went to the person who donated the most money, and again a Viper owner took the trophy, the event organizer and I am proud to say, Mid-South Viper Owner after canceling his Z06 order in 2005, Don Smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAD 2TB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Start getting your Vipers ready. We just got permission from the mayor to drag race again next year. Two stock Vipers and four modified Vipers will race two stock vettes and four modified vettes. Tentative date 13 April 08. Hope we can bring two of the new 2008 Vipers to run against two Z06 corvettes. Maybe!!!! that will shut those corvette guys up. Two trohpies with be awarded one for stock class and the other for modified.