Instrument Panel Removal??

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got some nifty billet gauge rings to put on but need to know how to take the dash apart to get to the gauge faces. Also, does the new rings just snap in place of the original black rings? The service manual says you gotta take the center bezel out first, then the two knee blockers. Does this reveal some screws underneath that has to be taken out? And I assume the top of the instrument panel bezel is snapped in with some sort of clips. Any help is much appreciated!! These are probably dumb questions to some but before I go to yanking on the dash, I just want to make sure I'm yanking in the right place and not where a screw is. BTW, its a gen II.

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be especially careful with the light knob. I actually snapped mine when removing the dash for the first time. It takes some finnessing, but don't get frustrated.

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think the manual mentions a hole in the bottom of the knob where you can stick a sharp object to disengage a locking tab. I assume there are bottom screws for the instrument bezel that are exposed once you take out the knee bolsters?

Be especially careful with the light knob. I actually snapped mine when removing the dash for the first time. It takes some finnessing, but don't get frustrated.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Would you please take lots of shots as you do this and consider writing it up forthe Illustrated? It would be a great piece! If its all apart, just take photos of putting it togeher and we'll work it backwards!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think the manual mentions a hole in the bottom of the knob where you can stick a sharp object to disengage a locking tab. I assume there are bottom screws for the instrument bezel that are exposed once you take out the knee bolsters?
When you remove the knee panels and the trim around the stereo & A/C, all of the screws are exposed. Note that the top edge is snapped in, so you have to carefully un-snap it (a wood or plastic screwdriver-shaped instrument is helpful, but still be careful). It is extremely straight-forward and, other than the snaps holding the top edge on, fairly obvious. The hardest part is getting the instrument panel out past the steering wheel once everything is unattached - you'll see what I mean.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you removing the dash cover just to put the gauge rings on? I have the ZAF gauge rings (same for Gen1 and Gen2) and they just press on without taking anything apart. The polished aluminum rings pressure fit over the original black rings on the gauges.

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah. I found out.:rolleyes: The first time I tried, I couldn't get them to go on and automatically assumed I had to take the dash out. My friend with a C5 vette had to for his rings. Anyhow, it was good experience! :)

Are you removing the dash cover just to put the gauge rings on? I have the ZAF gauge rings (same for Gen1 and Gen2) and they just press on without taking anything apart. The polished aluminum rings pressure fit over the original black rings on the gauges.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets