Viper Polyurethane Engine Mounts and Transmission Mount

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was a little skeptical at first b/c they were inexpensive compared to the other ones. But I highly recommend them!!!!!

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have mine installed (motor and trans) You can feel a little bit more vibration. I can feel it in the shifter lever. Shifts feel better and the power gets down easier. I don't get as much wheel hop. It's still there but not as bad. So far so good.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they a direct fit??????

I was getting ready to order these, and called Dave's Big Brakes.

He told me the mounts are thinner and are causing people's headers to hit the frame.

Has anyone put these poly mounts next to a stock mount and confirmed fitment?

thanks,
Dave.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Are they a direct fit??????

Yes, look in the illustrated upgrades section for the Engine Mount Install guide. I have a bunch of pics with the mounts next to each other. The PB mounts are thinner then stock, not much. But enough to make some aftermarket headers hit the frame. RUCKDR was able to fabricate shims for his PB mounts. I ended up installing Woodhouse mounts. They are a bit thicker than stock and no frame clearance issues for me. One recommendation I would make to Polybushing's is to offer shims with their engine mounts at least so that it bring the total thickness up to OEM.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed my Polybushing poly mounts in addition to Summit Racing's tranny mount two weeks ago. I really don't notice any vibration changes even in idle. I torqued the motor mounts to 70 ft/lbs and the single tranny mount bolt to 60 ft/lbs. Overall everything feels the same but it does seem to transfer the power to the ground better.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Due to the move of the manufacture these Polyurethane Engine mounts are hard to get. Does anyone know where I can buy a set of these motor mounts today? (8-27-2007)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a pair I purchased from Dave's Big Brakes I was about to return them. I ended up installing Woodhouse mounts. If you're interested in my set, PM me and we work something out. - Tony

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was getting ready to order these, and called Dave's Big Brakes.

He told me the mounts are thinner and are causing people's headers to hit the frame.

Has anyone put these poly mounts next to a stock mount and confirmed fitment?

thanks,
Dave.

Yep...this is happening to me! It was fine before the cam...now with a bigger cam you can hear the exhaust hitting:smirk:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep...this is happening to me! It was fine before the cam...now with a bigger cam you can hear the exhaust hitting:smirk:

Shims...RUCKDR ran into this issue and fabricated a pair of shims that solved the problem.

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001GTS,

Oh really! Any details on this??

Here you go:

It turns out the poly mounts (#2469) are perhaps a fraction of an inch shorter (less thick) than the stock rubber mounts. When installed in my car, I had the same clearance between the header pipes and the frame rail, which was VERY little (feeler gauge clearance). With the Stock rubber mounts, my headers would hit the frame, and since the poly mounts were the same closeness, I decided to add a 1/4 inch shim between the mount and the frame to lift the engine a little. I did this only on the right side where the header is a problem. I got a piece of 1/4 inch steel, cut it to the size of the mount plate (about 3.5 x 2.5 inches), drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the proper place, then cut a slot to the hole so as to be able to slide the shim in around the bolt and only have to loosen the mounts (both sides), and raise the engine just a little. If installed at the same time as the mounts, the slot would not be necessary, just the hole. I also drilled a relief into the shim for the 'knob' on the mount to sit in. It ain't so pretty, but functional.
Worked like a charm.

MotorMountClearance_01.JPG

After shim installed:

MotorMountClearance_04.JPG

MotorMountShim_041.JPG

MotorMountShim_011.JPG

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001GTS,

Oh really! Any details on this??

Here you go:

It turns out the poly mounts (#2469) are perhaps a fraction of an inch shorter (less thick) than the stock rubber mounts. When installed in my car, I had the same clearance between the header pipes and the frame rail, which was VERY little (feeler gauge clearance). With the Stock rubber mounts, my headers would hit the frame, and since the poly mounts were the same closeness, I decided to add a 1/4 inch shim between the mount and the frame to lift the engine a little. I did this only on the right side where the header is a problem. I got a piece of 1/4 inch steel, cut it to the size of the mount plate (about 3.5 x 2.5 inches), drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the proper place, then cut a slot to the hole so as to be able to slide the shim in around the bolt and only have to loosen the mounts (both sides), and raise the engine just a little. If installed at the same time as the mounts, the slot would not be necessary, just the hole. I also drilled a relief into the shim for the 'knob' on the mount to sit in. It ain't so pretty, but functional.
Worked like a charm.

MotorMountClearance_01.JPG

MotorMountClearance_04.JPG

MotorMountShim_041.JPG

MotorMountShim_011.JPG

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ooooops,
I didn't mean to post that twice - perhaps someone with Forum knowledge can delete one.

Sorry - my bad :confused: :confused: :lame:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001GTS,

Here you go:

Worked like a charm.

I know a 1/4 inch is not that much, but didn't doing just one side lean the engine in the chassis a tad? Extra strain on the tranny mount now as it is twisted slightly?

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My motor needs to drop. My Paxton Super Charger brackets hit the cross frame support as well as my steel radiator hose hits my cross support too. Plus my motor flexes way to much and allows my collector gasket to open up and leak. Plus I like vibrations!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My motor needs to drop. My Paxton Super Charger brackets hit the cross frame support as well as my steel radiator hose hits my cross support too. Plus my motor flexes way to much and allows my collector gasket to open up and leak. Plus I like vibrations!

Sounds like you need those thinner poly mounts? Or an oxy acetylene rig.

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave666,

I know a 1/4 inch is not that much, but didn't doing just one side lean the engine in the chassis a tad? Extra strain on the tranny mount now as it is twisted slightly?

I thought about that, maybe that is why the tranny mounts get destroyed from excessive 'flexing' with stock rubber mounts, causing the engine to lean, un-lean, etc. etc. I am hoping that the use of one shim and the poly mounts, which virtually stops 'flexing' will not strain the tranny mount. I have a couple of track days left here this year, then will check the tranny mount this winter - they are not expensive if replacement is needed.
I will then make a shim for the other side if necessary.

Later,

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dave6666,.

Question:
How do you get within a "Quote" box, the preface,

Originally Posted by ________

followed by the text of the quote.

Thanks.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just ordered a set of engine mounts and transmission mount from Mark at Woodhouse! :2tu:

Apparently the thickness of the Woodhouse mounts are the same as OEM. So there should be no fitment issues.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like this thread has been revitalized a bit, but yeah, I just put a Dave's Big Brake tranny cross member and poly mount in my GTS and all I can say is WOW. Shifter doesn't move any more. You can feel the car now. Am also ordering Woodhouse engine mounts and look forward to them too.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are these mounts still available? Woodhouse are alot more expensive than these, and oddly RSI's are even more! And are dave's big brakes mounts still available

Last edited:

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the Woodhouse mounts and man, what a difference. I've had them in the car now for almost a year and it still feels rock solid. My shifter doesn't move at all under throttle.