Viper Polyurethane Engine Mounts and Transmission Mount

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had installed Polyurethane Motor Mounts, and a Polyurethane Transmission mount.
The difference in feel is incredible:
Maybe feel a little more vibration at idle, it is NOT obtrusive or objectionable, and may be a sensation that you know something is a little different, and will be just normal after a few outings. At speed, there is NO difference in feel except as described below.
I was in 5th gear, at 60 - 70 mph, (rpm very low, about 1800-1900),
and stepped on it, and the car just jumps forward, same in the other
gears, at initial throttle hit, the car just pushed you in the back; not
sloppy and no hesitation. It’s like the energy is completely transferred forward.
Needles to say, a real PLUS.
These Excellent Motor Mounts are from Polybushings.com at the very reasonable price of $98.00 per pair. Johnny is great to work with and can be reached on (503) 869-6156 , or [email protected]
Web site:
http://polybushings.com/pages/2469.html

The Poly Transmission Mount I got from Summit Racing; this mount has been discussed on the forum before: Part No. ENS-3-1108G Price $20.95
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ENS%2D3%2D1108G&N=700+300537+115&autoview=sku

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At $49 each that's an incredible price compared to the Woodhouse or Dave's engine mounts. Does anyone know the difference (besides price) between these and Woodhouse vs. Dave's Big Brakes version of the engine mounts?

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
aperugini,
Here is what I know.
If you go to the site:
you will see that the mount (2469) is from Dodge trucks as early as 1969. This number is not the Viper number; however, it is the mount that our Viper Tech uses to replace Viper mounts IN STOCK RUBBER FORM from NAPA (about $8.99 each in rubber).
http://napaonline.com/MasterPages/N...umber=6021346&Description=Motor+Mount+-+Front

The PolyBushings company makes all kinds of Poly bushings (check their site) for car builders, hot rods, custom, etc. including this mount. Remember the Viper is made from MANY off the shelf MOPAR parts, and many are interchangeable.
I had my car out today for a while (yes some sun in the Northwest) and there is no difference in vibration; the only reaction difference is what I said above - forward energy. I guess the other difference is the longevity or duration of the mounts, and only time will tell. The mounts we replaced from my car were installed in 2003, and were not shot, but the Gen2 headers were hitting on the frame rail from mount compression. The transmission mount (probably original - 1996) was GARBAGE.

Later,

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
santo,
It is quite likely, but you might need to know a cross reference number, or the bushing dimensions, or give Johnny a call or email.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Don. Did you notice any difference in wheel hop as in there's a lot less? In fact, my driver's side engine mount is flat as a pancake and my '01 RT/10 has only 9800 miles on it. My driver's side header collector is about 1/4" from the frame while my passenger side has plenty of room. I was just about to order some mounts and change them out. I appreciate the info. - Tony

aperugini,
Here is what I know.
If you go to the site:
you will see that the mount (2469) is from Dodge trucks as early as 1969. This number is not the Viper number; however, it is the mount that our Viper Tech uses to replace Viper mounts IN STOCK RUBBER FORM from NAPA (about $8.99 each in rubber).
http://napaonline.com/MasterPages/N...umber=6021346&Description=Motor+Mount+-+Front

The PolyBushings company makes all kinds of Poly bushings (check their site) for car builders, hot rods, custom, etc. including this mount. Remember the Viper is made from MANY off the shelf MOPAR parts, and many are interchangeable.
I had my car out today for a while (yes some sun in the Northwest) and there is no difference in vibration; the only reaction difference is what I said above - forward energy. I guess the other difference is the longevity or duration of the mounts, and only time will tell. The mounts we replaced from my car were installed in 2003, and were not shot, but the Gen2 headers were hitting on the frame rail from mount compression. The transmission mount (probably original - 1996) was GARBAGE.

Later,

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
aperugini vbmenu_register("postmenu_2391818", true); ,
I haven't tried the wheel hop thing yet. Assuming shocks, springs, etc. in good working order, if you have wheel hop, others have said it will go away.
Later,

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much can we expect to spend on labor for this mod, say from a Viper tech. I don't think I'm equipped to jack all that heavy stuff up :dunno:

Sounds great I'd love to do it, but if the labor is prohibitive.... not so sure

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the flat rate with a dealer, for example.
Takes less than 2 hours; the car must cool some.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a good mod. What I am wondering is will the engine be affected by the extra load placed on it in the mount area with rigid mounts. I remember reading somewhere that one cylinder in particular (#3 maybe?) was made oval shaped with the additional load transmitted through more rigid mounts. Maybe this was a racing application. Anyone hear of this?

OP
OP
R

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001gts,
The mounts are the same; yes, Viper (Mopar) has 2 different part numbers:
4643 550 Right
4642 617 Left
They are interchangeable.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's an image of the tranny and engine mounts with part numbers if anyone cares:

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
I am posting this in response to the Idea that you are getting the same product from Woodhouse Performance and Woodhouse Viper as the $49 mounts offered elsewhere. Please reed the response below before thinking you are getting a great deal on the cheaper mounts.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Mark Jorgensen
Woodhouse Viper

Hello to our Viper Nation friends. The recent thread posted here on polyurethane engine mounts contains information that could mis-lead.

So this note is to provide you the total skinny on Viper motor mounts and choices you have.

History first: Viper mounts are nearly the same from 1992 through current 2006.
Stock mounts are made of rubber, they are resilient (soft to dampen engine vibs) causing a lot of engine and transmission movement and they get looser with age. They are a contributing factor to missed shifts since the driver is chasing a moving target.
For you die-hard road course dudes, engine movement induces secondary motion that reduces shock damping control in the chassis, a reason race cars use high durometer mounts.
Stock Viper engine mounts have an above normal failure rate. You usually notice the engine hitting other hard things in the chassis under torque load when this occurs.
Now most of you are wondering, who the heck is this guy and what gives him the right to tell us about mounts? Woodhouse Performance and our affiliate, Woodhouse Dodge has contributed 11 years of racing development to the Dodge Viper.
We initiated the need for this mount with Mr. Ruckdo’s source Energy Suspension. For various reasons, we chose not to move forward with them as our supplier.
The mount we provide has several significant differences, the most important perhaps, it is not your cheapest in price, but it will be your cheapest in the long haul.
Let me explain.
We have been prototyping and testing mounts for over two years now. The present units we sell have been used for over one year in four Dodge Viper race cars that participate in the Pro SCCA SPEED World Challenge Series.
The first ones were fabricated by hand in our shop.

Why such a long development time?
If you simply make a harder/stronger motor mount you can introduce new frequencies and resonances. Maybe you have heard of this, where it causes cracking of the metal lines that supply power steering, cooling fans, brake lines, etc. Most of you know of the other driveability and noise issues.

Dodge Motorsports tested our production mount in their Viper Competition Coupe mule for 22 hours with nothing but praise. This mount cannot tear apart or separate for any reason due to a proprietary inner core that absolutely will not fail as does the stock mount.

Kinda sounds like an ad here doesn’t it? If you like doing something well, doing it once, and forgetting about it, then spending a few bucks more on the best is where its at. I think Viper owners are like that. The best; could be why they own a Viper.

If you have questions or want a set, go to Nancy at www.woodhouseperformance.com or to Mark at www.woodhouseviper.com

P.S. Yes we recommend buying all three mounts, the rear mount we sell you is the stock unit from the Viper Comp coupe. Yes, you get the real McCoy for around ten bucks more than the plastic one from Summit.
Bob Woodhouse

402 426 4127 w 402 657 5613 m
[email protected]
PO Box 546 2171 S. Hwy 30
Blair, Nebraska 68008
www.woodhouseviper.com
cid:image001.jpg@01C795B9.9853B6E0

nancyshanno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to our Viper Nation friends. The recent thread posted here on polyurethane engine mounts contains information that could mis-lead.

So this note is to provide you the total skinny on Viper motor mounts and choices you have.

History first: Viper mounts are nearly the same from 1992 through current 2006.
Stock mounts are made of rubber, they are resilient (soft to dampen engine vibs) causing a lot of engine and transmission movement and they get looser with age. They are a contributing factor to missed shifts since the driver is chasing a moving target.
For you die-hard road course dudes, engine movement induces secondary motion that reduces shock damping control in the chassis, a reason race cars use high durometer mounts.
Stock Viper engine mounts have an above normal failure rate. You usually notice the engine hitting other hard things in the chassis under torque load when this occurs.
Now most of you are wondering, who the heck is this guy and what gives him the right to tell us about mounts? Woodhouse Performance and our affiliate, Woodhouse Dodge has contributed 11 years of racing development to the Dodge Viper.
We initiated the need for this mount with Mr. Ruckdo’s source Energy Suspension. For various reasons, we chose not to move forward with them as our supplier.
The mount we provide has several significant differences, the most important perhaps, it is not your cheapest in price, but it will be your cheapest in the long haul.
Let me explain.
We have been prototyping and testing mounts for over two years now. The present units we sell have been used for over one year in four Dodge Viper race cars that participate in the Pro SCCA SPEED World Challenge Series.
The first ones were fabricated by hand in our shop.

Why such a long development time?
If you simply make a harder/stronger motor mount you can introduce new frequencies and resonances. Maybe you have heard of this, where it causes cracking of the metal lines that supply power steering, cooling fans, brake lines, etc. Most of you know of the other driveability and noise issues.

Dodge Motorsports tested our production mount in their Viper Competition Coupe mule for 22 hours with nothing but praise. This mount cannot tear apart or separate for any reason due to a proprietary inner core that absolutely will not fail as does the stock mount.

Kinda sounds like an ad here doesn’t it? If you like doing something well, doing it once, and forgetting about it, then spending a few bucks more on the best is where its at. I think Viper owners are like that. The best; could be why they own a Viper.

If you have questions or want a set, go to Nancy at www.woodhouseperformance.com or to Mark at www.woodhouseviper.com

P.S. Yes we recommend buying all three mounts, the rear mount we sell you is the stock unit from the Viper Comp coupe. Yes, you get the real McCoy for around ten bucks more than the plastic one from Summit.
Bob Woodhouse

402 426 4127 w 402 657 5613 m
[email protected]
PO Box 546 2171 S. Hwy 30
Blair, Nebraska 68008
www.woodhouseviper.com
cid:image001.jpg@01C795B9.9853B6E0

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I appreciate the response from Woodhouse and no doubt Woodhouse history in supporting Dodge and the VCA speaks volumes. Besides testing, can you get into scientific/engineering details about what the difference is between your mounts vs. Dave's Big Brake's mounts vs. the $49 mounts discussed below? Are the compounds different, do the bargain brands fail easily, etc? Are the mounts from Summit really made of plastic or this just personal speculation? They're advertised as polyurethane. Are we being misled?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the thoughts about mixing a new poly tranny mount with stock engine mounts? Yes, no...?

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I'm running right now:D I'm getting a new tranny installed right now:omg: ($6,000 warranty):omg: 53,000 granny miles;) My tech is checking my engine mounts also:cool:

Big Brake Dave:drive:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I'm running right now:D I'm getting a new tranny installed right now:omg: ($6,000 warranty):omg: 53,000 granny miles;) My tech is checking my engine mounts also:cool:

Big Brake Dave:drive:

So Dave, do you have your polyurethane engine mounts installed or the stock engine mounts?

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Dave, do you have your polyurethane engine mounts installed or the stock engine mounts?

Just stock for now:confused: my tech is checking my engine mounts now:omg: I'm getting a new tranny installed today:2tu: ($6,000 warranty)
I have installed only my billet brkt & poly mount for now. Engine after I get my car back:cool:

Big Brake Dave :drive:

Reaction score
The mounts differ in the durometer of the urethane not so much the composition. There are lots of vibrations that can only be damped by the correct durometer of material and it works like a shock in many ways. If the spring is to stiff the shock will not control its energy and if the shock is too stif the spring does not work either. They must work togather to give the desired results as far as damping goes. This is the real difference.

Simms,
Te problem I would see in just useing the trans mount would be if it is held tight and the motor moves around what absorbs the flex? The $6000 transmission that's what. I would do all of them or just the engine mounts if it was my car.

Respectfully,

Mark Jorgensen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave