Wichita Area Owners' Thread

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As some of you may have seen in the recent "Wichita" posts in the Gen I/II Section (see the two links, below), we're trying to get a group of Wichita-area Vipers together on a regular basis. As a new KC VCA member (finally, after 1 1/2 years of owing a 1998 GTS), I thought I'd post a thread in the KC Section to help "get the word out" about our little informal sub-group. (I certainly also hope to get up to KC on occasion for official/bigger events.)

We had a breakfast-and-drive in April (3 Vipers- NSXER, Darell, and me), and two Vipers (Darell and Compensating) attended a Poker Run last Saturday. We're putting a group together for a car show in Arkansas City next Saturday, May 19th.

If any of you are within driving distance of Wichita and are interested in participating in our little informal sub-group, let me know. (If you can't post in this Section, send me a PM.)

Thanks.

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=594549; http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=601564

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NSXER, Darell, Compensating, and Silver_Snake- You have PM asking for input on the next Wichita-Area event. Perhaps simply a Friday Night "Backyard Burger" (West 21st Street) event? Also, get July 14th on your calendars, if possible (the Automobilia event in Old Town). Thanks.

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See Compensating's post this morning in the Gen I/II Section about the Mopar event next Saturday (the 16th) in Wichita.

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wichita Backyard Burgers- Friday, June 29th

If the weather is clear, Compensating, Darell, and I are planning to meet up at the Backyard Burger (7010 West 21st Street) weekly event this Friday, June 29th (6:00/6:30 to 9:30 or so).

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's looking like the Back Yard Burgers meet will likely get rained out tonight (after having four Vipers lined up to attend......). Watch the weather, but it looks wet.

V

Venomiss

Axtelboy,
Will we see any of you guys at the Springfield event at the end of September?:)
Hope you are getting the updates on this and can make it. We are planning on going only for the day and not spending the night. Many in our group will stay until Sunday.

There is a progressive dinner here in KC in the works. Getting the dates worked out for that one and it's usually on a Saturday-maybe for you guys a weekend in KC? In the past it has been rain or shine at three members houses for appetizers, main course, and then dessert.
Rumors from the last meeting have it happening sometime in August.

It is really nice to see you guys getting together!
Mary

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mary-

Thanks for the heads-up on the Springfield event. I haven't received any updates, but I did see Jerry's post in the Midwest Section of ferrarichat.com, and it looks interesting.

I initially feared that the end-of-September date conflicted with the big "Last Run" event in Arkansas City, but the Last Run is the weekend before. I may be able to make it, and I'll also mention it to the others.

Thanks.

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Backyard Burgers

We had a nice crowd at the Backyard Burger event tonight, including three Vipers (Compensating, Darell, and me). Sorry, no pictures this time.

It's also looking like the September Springfield event might work out for some of us, so let's keep that date in mind.

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Backyard Burgers- August 10

We had just one Viper yesterday at the weekly Backyard Burger meet (7010 West 21st Street), which was down from three two weeks ago, but it was a nice crowd nonetheless. Some pictures--

IMG_2589-s.JPG

IMG_2591-s.JPG

IMG_2593-s.JPG

IMG_2617-s.JPG

IMG_2606-s.JPG

IMG_2620-1-s.JPG

IMG_2616-s.JPG

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any Wichita area folks attending Viper Days in Iowa Sept 7-9? A couple of us from OKC area are going. Will be passing through either Thursday or Friday.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that are be sure to post it here, as I suspect some folks from Kansas City would be delighted to join you!

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm ******* that weekend, but let us know when you're coming through Wichita. Depending on the day and time you guys come through, it would be a hoot to cruise up the road 100 miles or so with you (if anyone is driving, rather than trailering, their cars).

Does your route take you through KC as well?

Wichita guys- If you can't post here, PM me if you're interested.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if we are going north to York, NE then east or through KC....2 of us for sure will be pulling trailers. Not sure about the others. I'll try to find out.

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Arkansas City "Last Run" event was held last weekend, and as usual, was a good show.

Attending from our Wichita-area bunch was Darell with his red GTS, Compensating with his red GTS, me with my red GTS, and to break up the pattern, NSXER with his B/W GTS.

Below are some pictures. NSXER didn't have his GTS out during this particular photo shoot, but he did have his (simply spectactular) Lamborghini Countach out for the fun.

IMG_2811-S.JPG

IMG_2822-S.JPG

IMG_2832-S.JPG

IMG_2827-S.JPG

IMG_2818-S.JPG

IMG_2828-S.JPG

IMG_2812-S.JPG

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NSXER is checking the interest in setting up a drive sometime this weekend (see his f-chat post). Post or PM me if interested. (Silver_Snake- I tried to send you a PM, but your "memory is full.")

V

Venomiss

Anybody planning on coming to the holiday party on Dec 1st from Wichita?
We have a dinner and an auction. Might make for a nice weekend for someone. We'd love to meet some of you guys!

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mary- I have a schedule conflict on the 1st, and I'm not sure if anyone else will be able to make the party. We do appreciate you keeping your southern neighbors in mind (and we talked again last Saturday about needing to at least get up for one of the KC Friday night gatherings next year).

We had another of our periodic Wichita Group get-togethers last Saturday morning, with breakfast at Jimmy's, followed by a drive. Attending were Brian (driving the Countach, rather than the B/W GTS this time), Darell (GTS), John (ZO6), and me (GTS). (Matt, we missed you! Hope you can make it next time.) Here are some pictures--

IMG_3200-c.JPG

IMG_3222-c.JPG

IMG_3210-c.JPG

IMG_3217-c.JPG

IMG_3224-c.JPG

IMG_3250-c.JPG

IMG_3270-c.JPG

IMG_3240-c.JPG

IMG_3288-c.JPG

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wichita's Backyard Burgers Closes

:(

Some of the posts in this thread related to the weekly Friday evening car shows at Backyard Burgers that occurred from Mid-April to late-October (the show had been going on for quite a few years). As we feared would happen (a "For Sale" sign had been posted on the premises since last Fall), I read in the paper today that Backyard Burgers has closed. I'm certainly hoping that the organizers will find another venue, or that someone else will step up and start up a good "replacement" event, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I can live with losing the Wranglers, the Dog Track, and Wild West World, but I don't think I can stand not having a good Friday evening show.....

I'll post if I hear any news about a new venue or a replacement weekly Friday night show.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that stinks! Keep us posted as I am sure we will get down there when Spring rolls around. Took the Viper out today for a run around the block (or two) with the weather so nice... :2tu:

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Possible new location for Friday shows????

Well that stinks! Keep us posted as I am sure we will get down there when Spring rolls around. Took the Viper out today for a run around the block (or two) with the weather so nice... :2tu:

Perhaps there's hope---

I contacted Mike Berry today (Mike is the Wichita Eagle writer who does the "Wichita on Wheels" section in the Sunday paper). Mike tracked down the organizers, and confirmed that they are trying to find a new location for the weekly Friday shows. Given the crowds that attended, I'd sure think that some restaurant (or similar establishment) would gladly step up. I'll post when I know more.

Chris- Let us know if/when you can make the trip south, and we'll set something up. We've talked about getting a group together to drive up for one of the KC group's Friday evening events, so we'll try to make that happen this year.

Darell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, this stinks I'm with Axtellboy now i have no reason to have a viper.... just kidding. If they don't find other locations we will have to have our own get together more often. Lets do KC this spring

Darell

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll bet they find another location. But if they don't, I agree, we'll need to step up with alternative plans on a more regular basis.

I'm definitely up for KC this Spring.

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll bet they find another location.

The rumor is that we have a new Friday night show location (starting late March or early April, depending on the weather)-- BIGS Bar & Grill, located at 7011 W. Central (southeast corner of Central and Ridge Road). I hope it's true... I'll post if I hear more.

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update on the new Bigs location for the Friday shows-

Mike Berry talked about the new location in his "Wichita on Wheels" column in today's Wichita Eagle (I've attached a link to the story).

I checked out the new location last week. It should work fine. We won't have any shade, but it looks like we'll have lots of space with pretty good lighting.

Kansas.com | 02/03/2008 | Bigs restaurant to host Friday night cruisers

V

Venomiss

Mike Berry talked about the new location in his "Wichita on Wheels" column in today's Wichita Eagle (I've attached a link to the story).

I checked out the new location last week. It should work fine. We won't have any shade, but it looks like we'll have lots of space with pretty good lighting.

Maybe you guys could ask the KC officers/board member if they would help subsidize a breakfast/lunch/or dinner for VCA members at one of your meetings when the weather is better?
If you want e-mails for them please PM and I'll be happy to help.

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mary and Kurt- Thanks for thinking of your Wichita friends! Rather than subsidizing anything down here, we're really going to try hard to get to some KC weekend events this year (your Friday evening gatherings look like great fun; the VCA meetings are a bit tough, being mid-week).

By the way, my '98 GTS is currently at Woodhouse, getting some attention from Mark J and crew. Just some minor maintenance, and well, installing something called a Paxton supercharger and a Corsa exhaust system.........

OP
OP
A

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The Viper is back from Woodhouse, and if the weather holds, I'm going to try to make it to the Friday night show at Big's (Central and Ridge) tomorrow night. I know it's late notice, but if anyone else can make it, great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acmeinfolabs